Last weekend I was bushhogging corn and milo stalks at my property and noticed a medium sized drone hovering around where I was working. It took me a few seconds to realize exactly what it was and get the tractor stopped, by then it was gone. I am positive it was a black 4 propeller drone maybe 12-14” across, which was 200+ yards inside the property line. I don’t have any proof, nor do I have any pictures and really can’t determine which landowner it was because there are 2 adjoining tracts that merge nearby.
This could be just a kid playing with a new toy and an isolated incident, I have no clue. But the longer I think about it, the more irritated I get. What are the laws/regulations/etc with drone activity? My problem revolves around the potential photography, trespassing, possible harassment of game and livestock, not to mention an invasion of privacy. If this happens again, what are my options? Who do I contact? Local sheriff? DNR? I’ve heard social media stories of someone shooting down trespassing drones and also heard stories of criminal charges being filed against the shooter, but don’t know if any of that was true. A quick google search showed some laws regarding law enforcement’s use of drones, but nothing on private citizens.