Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whale speed

Default Whale speed

Debate continues on request to limit vessel speeds to protect whales in SC

Those on both sides of the aisle are voicing why they are for or against expanding vessel speed limits to protect right whales along the east coast.

By Meredith Blair

Published: Apr. 12, 2024

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Those on both sides of the aisle are voicing why they are for or against expanding vessel speed limits to protect right whales along the east coast.

The request by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration now sits in the White House’s Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, part of the Office of Management and Budget.

In South Carolina, if the final rule passes, it will mean boaters in 35-foot or larger vessels, will have to go 10 knots, or about 11 mph, in certain locations called “seasonal management areas.”

Conservationists are all for this coming to fruition, as they say right whales are at risk of extinction, with less than 400 left. They also say the only two causes of death for adult right whales are vessel strikes and fishing gear entanglements.

“Recreational vessels, whether its motorized or non-motorized, sport fishing vessels, if they hit a whale or likely to kill that whale and are very likely to run the risk of human injury and human loss of life as well,” Defenders of Wildlife Senior Conservation Law Attorney Jane Davenport said.

Davenport says it’s important to understand the fine print of the rule.

“It’s not going to apply in banks or rivers so there’s actually a much smaller effect than we think overall than some in the boating community are making it out to be,” Davenport said. “Another issue to consider is that these are not year-round speed limits being proposed, they’re just seasonal.”

On the other side, South Carolina Boating and Fishing Alliance CEO Gettys Brannon says they care about the environment, but this rule isn’t necessary. He says 10 knots presents safety issues that have not been considered.

“Boats, especially one of the 28 that are made here in South Carolina brands, we’re on a Key West now, they’re not made to go 10 knots,” Brannon said. “It causes the nose to sit up and the line of sight is certainly not what it would be if you were planed out and the draft whenever you’re plowing like that is further down in the water, so it has a higher likelihood of hitting an object in the water.”

Brannon doesn’t agree with the up to $15,000 fine for violating the potential rule.

“When you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than hitting one of the whales, in our opinion this rule is an incredible bureaucratic overreach,” Brannon said.

Boaters also have concerns about the economic impact and say it will have a domino effect if people stop coming to Charleston to fish because they’ll spend half or more of their charter getting to and from the fishing grounds.

“It’s the gas stations, it’s the bait and tackle shops, it’s the boat dealerships that are trying to sell boats, and that’s my biggest concern,” General Manger of Butler Marine Jim McClure said.

As this rule sits in the White House for now, there is no clear timeline for a decision.

NOAA Fisheries said it has no additional information about the timeline or modifications to the proposed rule in response to comments.

https://www.live5news.com/news/

Are the same people counting the whales the same ones counting red snapper? Probably the only time a whale gets killed by a boat prop is when it’s entangled in a net.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Imagine taking anyone seriously that says this...

They also say the only two causes of death for adult right whales are vessel strikes and fishing gear entanglements.

Guess sharks, disease and old age aren’t a part of the right whale world
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Guess sharks, disease and old age aren’t a part of the right whale world
    Don’t forget the wind farms
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I was going to ask how often they get hit, but as rare as a lighting strike says it all.

This is stupid.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Charter captain I talked with this morning. “That shit ain’t happening”
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    While I tend to agree, there is a lot of political support on both sides of the aisle in DC. Not sure what the end game is or what is being horse traded but don’t be surprised if some form of this gets passed. Typically this sort of nonsense gets created as a bargaining chip for something else. Question is what card do all the coastal politicians hold that everyone else wants a piece of?!?

The fewer there are,.....the harder they are to hit.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

wind farms are killing plenty
    Windows Down!

In all due respect, he doesn’t have a clue. I don’t know if it will or won’t but I can assure you I know way more about it than him and it has a very real possibility of happening.
    Last edited by trash2; 04-13-2024 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    In all due respect, he doesn’t have a clue. I don’t know if it will or won’t but I can assure you I know way more about it than him and it has a very real possibility of happening.
    Pretty sure he was meaning no one would adhere to it if it did pass, not whether or not it would pass.

Pretty sure he was meaning no one would adhere to it if it did pass, not whether or not it would pass.
    That attitude won’t get too far, know multiple people already cited for it. One got a 25k ticket, no negotiation. Trust me, I’m against as much or more than anyone as it impacts what I do but to think it’s not real or enforceable is far from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    That attitude won’t get too far, know multiple people already cited for it. One got a 25k ticket, no negotiation. Trust me, I’m against as much or more than anyone as it impacts what I do but to think it’s not real or enforceable is far from reality.
    Where, how fast, and what kind of vessel?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

My neighbors found an 8 foot sperm whale stranded on the beach at Sullivan's Island last week. No prop or bite marks. I didn't realize there were sperms whale around here. Speeding boats and global warming probably forced it ashore.

The rescue folks came and got it but it did not survive long. I haven't heard the necropsy report yet.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Speeding would be pretty easy to enforce with radar nowadays. If that didn't work, you'd soon be required to have a transponder on every boat.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Where, how fast, and what kind of vessel?
    Small yacht (70’ish), off SC/GA/FL, less than 13kts. A citation for both days traveling

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Speeding would be pretty easy to enforce with radar nowadays. If that didn't work, you'd soon be required to have a transponder on every boat.

Well at least they'll make it easy for us for them to control us.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Whoever these bureaucrats are, they have no desire to apply common sense here. A reasonable approach would be to create high speed zones several miles wide at ports and inlets and restrict speeds between the zones.

Sounds like my Tier 3, 32 footer will be worth more than the big dog Tier 1, 35 footer or better.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.