Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy’s first longbeard

Default Boy’s first longbeard

Had a fun hunt with the boy on the WMA yute day. Packed a pop up into a food plot before daylight. Had a bird gobble on the tree at a different plot about 400 yards away. Nothing near us. Bird fires up on his own about 7:15-7:30 on a little pine flat just off the plot we were on. Must have had some hens with him and never would show his face and worked off about 8 or so. Had a hen walk into the plot and then did an about face and left the plot about 8:15-ish. Had a gobbler in tow and stayed in the wood line about 60 yards out as he followed her. Had a lone hen walk to us about 8:30. By 9:45, the boy was ready to call it quits. My buddy planned on bringing his dad back in for the opener on Monday, so we decided to go look at the pine flat while we were there. I’’ve been letting the boy know that turkey hunting out of a pop up on a food plot isn’’t real turkey hunting ever since he killed his two Jake’s last year(in a fun-poking kind of way). We walked into the pine flat to put eyes on it, and turned around to leave. Boy asked me why I didn’t yelp at one, so I yelped and cut pretty loud. Then he told me he wanted to sit down and “turkey hunt for real”. We had about 20 minutes before we needed to leave and get back to town, but I obliged. We hadn’t sat down good and a bird gobbled about 150-200 yards off. Knew we should move up, but didn’t want to chance getting busted with trying to get him setup. Bird gobbles a few more times and gets hot. Shows up at 75-80 yards out and he hit that magic line at about 50 yards and worked a half circle around us. G-dub got to watch him do his thing and I was able to get him spun around as the bird kept working behind trees. He eventually gets to my dead 9 o’clock, and ends up moving off. We waited 15 minutes or so, stand up and start talking about how cool that was, and how much more fun that was than sitting in a blind and deer hunting them. Hear a hen back towards the food plot. Then she yelps again. I look up and this bird is running right back to us. Gunnar gets his gun off his shoulder and I get him lined up in an opening the bird is about to come out in. He steps out at 30-35 yards and stops, the boy didn’t hesitate when I told him to send it. 18.5” modified barrel with 1oz of #10’s stoned him. Put @ 10 pellets in his noggin at that distance. Lots of hugs and high fives were dished out. I told him we couldn’t go back to pop up blinds now, and he agreed

10 1/8” beard, super sharp 1” spurs, probably 17lbs, and 1 happy 7yr old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by quackaddict; 04-02-2024 at 09:36 PM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Awesome

Fantastic
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Congratulations!!

Awesome!

Sweet! That's a heck of a shot the young man made.
    every expert was once a beginner

Congrats!!
    867-5309

Yessir again! SC Duck Young Guns killing some hammers! Rope!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

awesomeness
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All kinds of cool
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

yes sir
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Congrats to yall. Looks like a fine place to hunt Gobblers.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Great hunt and story

most excellent!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Good work!
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Awesome!

Excellent!!

Heck yeah!

Awesomeness.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master