Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I'm convinced that if you put 10 turkey hunters in a room and asked what sort of season framework/limits/ methods they want to see happen you'd get 13 different answers......
    Preach.

The research supports a later date. Period.

Science also says the earth is getting hotter and global warming is real. Do y’all believe we should all drive electric cars and have clean energy because “science says so”. Thankfully this crap had a 5 year sunset on it. When this load of crap doesn’t produce more turkeys we can go back to what we have now. I stood in one spot and listened to 8 different turkeys gobbling this morning. If you take care of them you’ll have birds.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Science also says the earth is getting hotter and global warming is real. Do y’all believe we should all drive electric cars and have clean energy because “science says so”. Thankfully this crap had a 5 year sunset on it. When this load of crap doesn’t produce more turkeys we can go back to what we have now. I stood in one spot and listened to 8 different turkeys gobbling this morning. If you take care of them you’ll have birds.
    Your analogy is horrible since climate change is a natural phenomenon that the earth has experienced before.
    I sat in one spot with my daughter this morning and heard at least that many but, I don't have the turkeys I had two or three decades ago and I expect you're not old enough to have experienced what we had back in the late 90's early 2000's
    Myself and other biologists don't expect that everyone will "understand" the science of wild turkey behavior and the importance of protecting recruitment by allowing them to breed (early nests are proven to be more successful than later nesting) before we start killing them, but hey, you're entitled to your "opinion" PJ but that's all it is.
    It's not just about "you having birds" as you put it since the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation (look it up) entrusts game to all and SCDNR is tasked to manage game for the entire state, not just you or those fortunate enough to have turkeys because their private property is managed to a T.
    Happy Easter buddy.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Everyone’s a biologist.

The new samfc

Default Meleagris Californica or the Pre-Historic Californian Turkey

https://www.laalmanac.com/history/hi735.php

Among the wildlife to greet the first human inhabitants of the Los Angeles area was the Californian turkey (Meleagris californica). It was a turkey species found only in Southern California, believed to have gone extinct about 12,000 to 10,000 years ago. It was apparently abundant here, judging from the number of fossils found. It ranged from Orange County, through Los Angeles County, to Santa Barbara County. The La Brea Tar Pits alone, at last report, have collected 11,116 fossil specimens of M. californica, representing at least 791 individual birds. It is one of the most common of 140 bird species found at Rancho La Brea, second only to the Golden Eagle (Aquila crysaetos). Scientists speculate that its extinction may have been due to either climate change or human hunting or, likely, both.

The Californian turkey was a contemporary of other now extinct prehistoric animals that roamed the Los Angeles area, such as the sabre-toothed cat, the giant ground sloth, the dire wolf, and the mammoth and mastodon. Its fossils were first identified at Rancho La Brea (La Brea Tar Pits) by paleontologist-zoologist Loye H. Miller in 1909. He originally described it, however, as a relative of the peacock and then, later, as a new type of intermediary between peacock and turkey. It was only correctly reclassified as related to modern turkeys in 1924. It was, nevertheless, a unique turkey species, apparently isolated by desert and geography from interbreeding with wild turkeys from elsewhere in the continent. Scientists believe its origination in Southern California may have been as far back as 11 million years ago.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

They can go extinct.... just bc you're in denial about it, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Its not like we are over run with hens and no gobblers left to breed them. The timing of when the gobblers are killed is a miniscule part of the reason for the decline.

Adjust bag limits, limit out of state tags, and focus on the real reasons of the declines. Loss of habitat.

Hate to tell you folks but the growth of housing and development in this state will be the death of our natural resources.

everybody is all about conservation until it personally inconveniences them.

im not smart enough to understand ins and outs of wildlife biology, but people a lot smarter than me have been saying for years we need a later season start date to allow for breeding opportunities and a chance to get a nest established. unfortunately we can't control loss of habitat due to development, but we can control the structure of hunting seasons and practicing better management of wildlife habitat.

thanks for everyone that pushed this bill, im happy to see a proactive effort to curb turkey population decline before they go the way of quail.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    The new samfc
    Not hardly new....
    Although formally termed in 2001 it has been the model in this country for decades.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

They start to breed in late February early March. April 10 is BS. Predators and weather is the problem anyway.

I wonder what the problem is????

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Good deal. Everything comes and goes in cycles. The ones bitching do not know what the left side of that bell curve looked like 50 years ago, they just know the peak and how it made them feel good. You don’t want to see the right side of the bell curve.

I read an interesting theory the other day…turkeys are like deer and breed on photo period. Bugs hatch based on temperature so by the time the polts hatch, the bugs are gone and they have less food due to some climate change factors.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I wonder what the problem is????

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    That is certainly ONE of the problems in populated areas but do you really think that's why unpopulated areas of McCormick, Saluda, Newberry, and NE Georgia just to name a few places no longer have birds?
    No, its not....

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    They start to breed in late February early March. April 10 is BS. Predators and weather is the problem anyway.
    And MFers not tagging turkeys…..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Here comes the mob

That one left a mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck getting that cocksucker to understand that……

Like the mob that only shows up here to be seen only when turkey season rolls around or some other mob?