Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2022 GMC 6.2

More fuel = more boost!!

Dang 2th, the man's been holding out on you this whole time. That has to hurt.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    China ain't making metal like they used to... Man my truck search has completely shifted over the last 6 months. I am replacing an 05 F150, but now im looking for a 3/4 ton truck that is older than my current one. People think I'm crazy, but I just don't want a new truck and new truck problems. I want something I can throw a motor or trans in for a reasonable price and keep trucking. Hell I'd be keeping the F150 if it was a crew cab.
    Look for a gas 2500 GM with the 6.0 or 8.1 and an Allison behind it if you’re going to go 3/4 ton gas. Can’t kill those. I have a suburban with the 8.1 going strong with about 350k and will never get rid of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Yeah that bill won’t be light

I honestly hate that GM has went to shit. Other manufactures are not relying on AFM to meet emissions. Chrysler did it for a bit, however their failure is no where near GM.

If you own a GM that has a V8, I’d strongly recommend an extended warranty and take it to a reputable shop that can get all that crap deleted and covered if it fails.

Aside from engine issues, I keep a GM 6 speed and 8 speed trans in stock for 2014 and newer models.

Food for thought

I don’t bash brands. I just try and post informative info ocassionally.
    Yep. Even knowing the issues and working on all of them at our shops still got the wife a newer Tahoe because it’s still better than most options. The week I got it bypassed trans thermostat and turned off AFM.

We have been seeing lots of GM lifter failures but still have Hemi’s coming in frequently and of course the 3.6 Chryslers DOHC very regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Look for a gas 2500 GM with the 6.0 or 8.1 and an Allison behind it if you’re going to go 3/4 ton gas. Can’t kill those. I have a suburban with the 8.1 going strong with about 350k and will never get rid of it

That’s exactly what I’m doing, that or a 96-97 f250 with the 460. Problem is people seem to think they are gold.

Exactly why I am riding my 1999 suburban with a 350 most days. Abolish the EPA.

How about the Ram 6.4? As problematic as the others?
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Yep. Even knowing the issues and working on all of them at our shops still got the wife a newer Tahoe because it’s still better than most options. The week I got it bypassed trans thermostat and turned off AFM.

We have been seeing lots of GM lifter failures but still have Hemi’s coming in frequently and of course the 3.6 Chryslers DOHC very regularly.
    What’s the deal on the 3.6?
    Wife has 2016 jeep grand Cherokee with 180000 and we have not had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    What’s the deal on the 3.6?
    Wife has 2016 jeep grand Cherokee with 180000 and we have not had a problem.
    If im not mistaken its rocker arms chattering on start up can lead to damaged lifter and cam lope wipe out. My wife has a 2016 wrangler with the 3.6 as well, no issues. 110k.

3.6 Chrysler engines are notorious for the oil cooler/oil filter housing rupturing, cold start engine rattle, and really bad on lifter issues. We do oil coolers and lifters/cams often

2011 and newer.

Newest one we have put lifters and cams in was a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL

The good ole Pentastar engine.
    Last edited by KRT; 04-03-2024 at 09:13 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

3.6 Chrysler engines are notorious for the oil cooler/oil filter housing rupturing, cold start engine rattle, and really bad on lifter issues. We do oil coolers and lifters/cams often

2011 and newer.

Newest one we have put lifters and cams in was a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL

The good ole Pentastar engine.
    Done changed the oil cooler / filter housing twice, along with changing the lifters once. Took my brother and I an entire weekend to tear down top end and replace lifters, but we got it done. Half a day to change the oil cooler on the second go round.

If you tighten down the oil filter housing cap to tight, it will cause the plastic to split, along with the high heat making the plastic brittle. So the fix for this is to purchase the Dorman aluminum upgrade, but purchase the gaskets for the Oil cooler / oil filter housing directly from Chrysler to ensure a better fit and seal. Dorman upgrade below.

https://www.partsgeek.com/l7pgcgs-je...RoCy7cQAvD_BwE

2014 with ~170K. Lifters replaced at ~140K, and upgraded Dorman housing replaced at ~160K. So far no other issues. If you do it yourself, without having to purchase cams, you can do it for ~$600 and a weekend. Make sure to purchase the special tool to clear the timing chain tensioners to remove the timing chain from the cams.
    Last edited by HT; 04-03-2024 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Can't type or spell

Also, reason why I did it myself. Took it to two different Chrysler dealerships. Even left if for a over a week at one while I was out of town. I knew I was having a slight lifter tap, but both dealerships stated the lifters were fine and that was just the coils. I called BS to both. Tore down top end only to see that I did have one lifter collapsed. Fortunately, cam was fine and didn't need to replace. But if I would of took the dealerships advice, I would of needed to replace one (if not all) of the four cams. Those cams are / were $300 a piece.
    Last edited by HT; 04-03-2024 at 12:31 PM.

So if KRT were in the market for a new half ton truck, what would he buy? And then what would he do to it after purchase? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    So if KRT were in the market for a new half ton truck, what would he buy? And then what would he do to it after purchase? Asking for a friend.
    Ahhhh putting me on the spot. I get this often.

Hands down the Tundra would have been the answer until they went to the turbo V6. Even now that it's been out for a while, I feel like Toyota worked through their bugs.

I tell people all the time, Toyotas don't show up here on a rollback.

With all that beating around the bush, you won't go wrong with a Toyota...at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KRT would buy a new F150 or a Chevrolet 1500 with the 5.3 (both have issues)

at 50k ish miles, I would buy an aftermarket warranty to put on it, and before that warranty ran out, I'd get with an KRT to go through it and get replaced what needs replacing.

For the record, I drive a 2006 Silverado with almost 500k on it. It's not original however I'd drive it to Northern California tommorrow with no doubts to chase turkeys
    My wife has a 2023 Tahoe with the 5.3. At 30k miles it will get new spark plugs, and trans service. At 60k, the intake will be pulled and the intake valves carbon blasted and another trans service(10 speed)
    My daughter drives a 2016 Jeep with the 3.6 all teenage girl decked out.
    More fuel = more boost!!

HT, there are some cases where the OEM replacement is no better than the original. The 3.6 oil cooler/oil filter housing is proof.

1st pic is original. The plastic gets hot, cold, hot , cold, brittle then ruptures.
    2nd pic is an aftermarket all aluminum one we use to replace it with

More fuel = more boost!!

So, is that Ford 3.0 twin turbo V6 any good??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    So, is that Ford 3.0 twin turbo V6 any good??
    Not pre Oct 2021. NHTSA is even looking into 708k 2.7 and 3.0 ecoboost. Ford is sweating that, NHTSA has the authority to make a manufacturer induce a recall.

They are dropping valves causing catastrophic engine failure.
    Last edited by KRT; 04-03-2024 at 03:53 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Not pre Oct 2021. NHTSA is even looking into 708k 2.7 and 3.0 ecoboost. Ford is sweating that, NHTSA has the authority to make a manufacturer induce a recall.

They are dropping valves causing catastrophic engine failure.
    Thanks. I've never owned a Ford, but I'm ,very soon, going to order a Ranger Raptor. I'll just warranty it to 100k and trade before I get there.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

How much of these oil related failures are due to the 7500 to 10,000 mile oil change intervals manufacturers are specifying? I've always been a 5000 mile interval guy on anything since 2000, 3000 before that. Never had an oil related breakdown on any manufacturer following that schedule. May spend more on oil changes than some but not major mechanical issues.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

MY OIL and filter come out before 3K and the trans fluid and filter on my 8-speed GMC every 35k and never had a problem. Just sayin. Oil and grease are cheap. Learned that with tractors back when I was in the cattle biz!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    How much of these oil related failures are due to the 7500 to 10,000 mile oil change intervals manufacturers are specifying? I've always been a 5000 mile interval guy on anything since 2000, 3000 before that. Never had an oil related breakdown on any manufacturer following that schedule. May spend more on oil changes than some but not major mechanical issues.
    We use synthetic and still put 5k oil chg stickers on the window.

I’m thinking it doesn’t help but GM has had these 6.2s spinning bearing with just 3500k miles. One guy on Instagram said he works at a dealer and they start up brand new ones and they spin the bearing. I’m going with post Covid supplier issues on the bearing concern

Lifters is 100 % the AFM/DFM crap and carboned up valves causing the lifter tray to crack and the lifter twist. Thats my professional opinion anyways
    More fuel = more boost!!