View Poll Results: Will you show restraint...

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll delay my season and will only attempt to fill two tags

9 15.52%
  • I'll start when the season starts but will only attempt to fill two tags

17 29.31%
  • I'll delay my season but will attempt to fill all 3 tags

1 1.72%
  • I'm starting when the season comes in and will attempt to fill all 3 tags

31 53.45%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Question On Restraint...

Question…my gun patterns best with longbeard xr, and it outperforms the TSS I tried when it first became a thing. So, I use longbeard xr. They are copper plated lead…I think. So, I’ve reached out and touched a few with that load…ate every one of them too. So, am I a problem? Should I start looking for some off-brand cheapo 2.75” lead that patterns like shit and misfires occaisionally? I have a wing bone call I made, because that just seemed primitive and cool…could be considered a trumpet…should I leave it at the house? I’ve got a vest that props me up when I want to sit where there isn’t a good tree to lean up against…should I stop wearing leafy-flage and go back to spray-painted khakis, ditch the vest and stop using calls? Please let me know what to do here; I feel like I’m treading dangerously close to being in the “cool-kids” club…and I’d rather be in the other club full of kids that make fun of the cool-kids…so I can be a part of that group of kids…because they are cool….wait…I’m confused. This thread is very confusing.

BTW…I’ll put 2-4 in the freezer this year like I typically do. If my boys and my wife kill one, I’ll pass on my Wyoming tag, if not, I’ll fill it. I might kill one in SC. I might kill one in OH and MN if I decide to combine turkey hunting with mushroom hunting. Basically, I’ll do whatever cranks my scooter and feel sorry for the folks that get bent out of shape. Generally the turkeys dictate that I don’t harm their population…never once had to concern myself with it.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

The refrence to the 5000 acres I hunt which is my companies land was to give an example. Property has definitely not been over hunted. No one uses strutter decoys, etc. However the population has crashed the past few years like many places. So all this talk about ban this and that, reduce limits, tss, etc won’t do squat. Yea you may save a few gobblers here and there but it doesn’t address the major issue. Which may be out of human control.

Something has changed and the turkeys just can’t figure this out. I have always believed that the weather is playing a huge role. My buddy lives on a farm I hunt and watches for poults for me. After every big monsoon rain we get when poults are on the ground they disappear. Hens are eventually left with zero. Poults can’t handle 5 inches of rain in 2 hours and we keep getting these rain events during crucial times year after year. Some worse than others. Add the fact there’s a predator behind every tree. Tough times for them.
    Last edited by M2Field; 03-19-2024 at 07:09 PM.

Hard to grow turkeys when every block of woods is being turned into cookie cutter neighborhoods...
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Quote Originally Posted by youngun15 View Post
    Hard to grow turkeys when every block of hardwoods is being turned into cookie cutter pine stands...
    FIFY
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

wow.
    sure are lots of definitive answers.
    humans are the problem in one way or the other.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I dont get the general disdain for Dave Owens? Is it jealousy that he has a successful turkey hunting youtube presence? If he is the issue for some, I hope you dont wear bottomland or ever watch a Mossy Oak/Realtree video.

i thought they were talking about the fella that helps you pay off debt.

so i guess he aint shit to me

hope this helps
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    I dont get the general disdain for Dave Owens? Is it jealousy that he has a successful turkey hunting youtube presence? If he is the issue for some, I hope you dont wear bottomland or ever watch a Mossy Oak/Realtree video.
    I don't like that he uses a public resource to boost his ego and financially gain from.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Common sense has told me what I need to do for the places I hunt over the years in regards to harvest limits. We've self regulated ourselves on our properties and it looks to be helping. I have no problem taking only 2 birds, having more being the end result matters more to me. I want to see numbers like we had 20 years ago again, I want multiple turkeys to hunt and enjoy.
    I'm on the same page as Ricky. we have been self regulating for years on the places I hunt
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

How much has disease been looked at with turkeys?
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by youngun15 View Post
    Hard to grow turkeys when every block of woods is being turned into cookie cutter neighborhoods...
    It's downright depressing to see all these properties turned into subdivisions.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    The refrence to the 5000 acres I hunt which is my companies land was to give an example. Property has definitely not been over hunted. No one uses strutter decoys, etc. However the population has crashed the past few years like many places. So all this talk about ban this and that, reduce limits, tss, etc won’t do squat. Yea you may save a few gobblers here and there but it doesn’t address the major issue. Which may be out of human control.

Something has changed and the turkeys just can’t figure this out. I have always believed that the weather is playing a huge role. My buddy lives on a farm I hunt and watches for poults for me. After every big monsoon rain we get when poults are on the ground they disappear. Hens are eventually left with zero. Poults can’t handle 5 inches of rain in 2 hours and we keep getting these rain events during crucial times year after year. Some worse than others. Add the fact there’s a predator behind every tree. Tough times for them.
    Habitat Habitat Habitat

Tagging all the turkeys you kill would be a tremendous step the right direction.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Habitat Habitat Habitat
    This place has some of the prettiest turkey woods I’ve ever hunted

This place has some of the prettiest turkey woods I’ve ever hunted
    Wonder if it has good brood habitat for the hens...?

And a predator around every corner definitely still has something to do with habitat. Get to trapping those suckers at least if you can't change anything else. Whatever it is...I'd hate to see them disappear like that off any tract. Hopefully the bounce back there for ya.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 03-20-2024 at 02:56 PM.

Tagging all the turkeys you kill would be a tremendous step the right direction.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Let's not get carried away here. Next thing you know you're going to say we can't kill hens for wing bone calls.

#WhoInvitedTheNarc?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Wonder if it has good brood habitat for the hens...?

And a predator around every corner definitely still has something to do with habitat. Get to trapping those suckers at least if you can't change anything else. Whatever it is...I'd hate to see them disappear like that off any tract. Hopefully the bounce back there for ya.
    I’m no biologist but it’s got about everything I’d think a turkey would want. Hardwood bottoms, fields, mature pines we burn early season, etc. Coyotes are present but where aren’t they. One thing that has changed is hogs have shown up in the past few years where before we never had them.
    Last edited by M2Field; 03-20-2024 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he literally makes a living off of destroying public resources and incentivizing others to do the same thing. By "pushing" his brand, he is directly damaging the resource he claims to love.

I don't like that he uses a public resource to boost his ego and financially gain from.
    Oh, I know you didn’t just go down that road. I’m not saying I’ve got the cleanest record out there, but you know you don’t want that ant pile kicked
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands