Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a turkey hunt for my Dad

Default Looking for a turkey hunt for my Dad

Mods please move to TP if that is more appropriate.

I'm looking to buy a private land turkey hunt for dad. I didnt inherit the turkey hunting gene from him, but I understand how most people.feel about, so I know this is going to be a big ask.

A little background, and this may be a bit of a sob story, maybe it is, but hear me out. Remember I'm willing to PAY. My dad retired last year finally at the age of 74 and can finally come to visit and hunt the property I bought 5 years ago. Problem is they clearcut a tract of timber behind me that severely altered the travel patterns I had been seeing. Until last summer I had turkeys in my back field and roosting over my beaver pond daily. I haven't seen nary a one since they clearcut.

"Ok, there's tons of public land in SC, take him there and find you a turkey.". I would. Problem is, Dad is on his fourth round of chemotherapy. Most of pancreas and his gall bladder have been removed. Still has cancer in stomach, liver, lungs. This current of chemo has absolutely kicked his ass. He's been pumped full of poison for two years. During their last visit for my daughters birthday last month, I finally had to come to terms with the fact that he's not coming back from this. It's not going to regress. He has 9 more months of this chemo before they regroup and try a different poison. Add to that he also has COPD, yes, he was a smoker but gave it up 15 years ago, day late, dollar short. Plus last week we learn he's also diabetic now. He's withered from a solid 180lb man to all of 130lb. His energy is about depleted but damn he's so excited about coming down to turkey hunt my property.

But the no birds thing, that sucks. He's already paid the $300 that it cost for an out of state license/tags (minimum to kill one damn turkey). I can't take him to WMA because he can't cross a parking lot without being winded. He's bringing his SxS just to be able to travel my 36 acres.

And of course, he's coming down for opening week. I understand opening day is precious to most so later in the week is fine. I will be with him, but only one gun and I'm not touching it.

Again I'm looking for a PAID, non guided hunt. Not asking for a handout by any means.

If you don’t get a better offer my hunt club in saluda is open to y’all at no cost, I’ll have to be there as well.

Hopefully someone comes through with a better offer and I look forward to seeing a picture of your dad with a gobbler.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Thanks Micheal. It was hard for me to post this because I know how serious people are about turkeys. Also because I've probably made some posts on here recently, that may have made people think I'm an asshole. I've realized I've been lashing out a little lately and most of it comes from my dealing with his decline in health. It got worse when I finally came to terms with the fact that he's dying.

He's a good man. I have my faults. I'm working on being a better person

Oh, and a disclaimer: he lives in Maryland. I was born and raised in Maryland. I've lived here for 10 years, and will die in my current home. Most of you would consider me a Yankee. I understand. I came here to be left alone and vote for freedom.

I got a farm in Swansea that’s holding a good many birds I’m sure we could probably make it happen as long as my son don’t have lacrosse. Not real sure what he was thinking signing up for this lol. Keep me updated on here if you found something and I will as well about lacrosse but like I said y’all are more than welcome to come shoot one!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Where do you live?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Camden.

Thanks coot, I'll check back with you. Swansea is not a bad drive.

I have somewhere y’all can go that is very easy to hunt and is close by you. Call me tomorrow and I can give you the details. Pm for my number.

I know this isn’t helping the situation for your dad, but keep corn on the ground and they will come right back to your place before long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can he hunt on his own or need a guide? I may be able to help you out. We are on Chester/ Fairfield county line. Pm me if I can help

I have stuff I can take you on if you don't get any bites.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Camden.

Thanks coot, I'll check back with you. Swansea is not a bad drive.
    I met you, certainly didn't consider you a yankee. I thought you were cool.

I wish I was in SC to lend a hand. What part of MD are y'all from?
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Western, right across the river from Harper's Ferry.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I'll be getting back to all of you in the next couple days.

Centurian, he doesn't need a guide. Just myself or someone else with him. Can't have him falling out in an unfamiliar place.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Western, right across the river from Harper's Ferry.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I'll be getting back to all of you in the next couple days.

Centurian, he doesn't need a guide. Just myself or someone else with him. Can't have him falling out in an unfamiliar place.
    I understand that was my concern with hunting alone.

i can take you for $1.
    i cant go saturday due to kids clay tourney.
    it would have to be sunday (24th?).
    let me know.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Hey toof I'm old as dirt. Just saying.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

And good on everyone on here trying to help out. Wish I had a place to take him. I like old people.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

$2 for you
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i can take you for $1.
    i cant go saturday due to kids clay tourney.
    it would have to be sunday (24th?).
    let me know.
    Thanks, 2th. I'll have to verify but I think we planned this trip when the start dates were still in question and I was under the impression it would be the 1st statewide. I'll have to verify with them today when they're planning on coming down.

I didn't realize until this morning it starts earlier in 3 + 4