Thread: Tractor tire ballast?

Default Tractor tire ballast?

I recently ran over a friggin' shed antler and had to take a tractor tire in for a patch. I thought that tractor tires were typically filled with water for ballast but after reading up on it, some sites recommend against water since it can corrode the rims and there is a risk of the tires freezing in cold weather. Some recommend a beet byproduct that is heavier than water, freeze resistant to very low temperatures, non-corrosive and non-toxic. One brand goes by the name Rim Guard. I think it sells for around $3/gallon.

How about the corrosion risk? Most tires have high moisture in them anyway so I don't really buy the corrosion hype.

Is freezing really a concern down here in the Lowcountry? We rarely get several days in a row of hard freeze. Should antifreeze be added to the water?

Never had an issue to my knowledge, but the majority of your larger ag tractors are filled with water/antifreeze for extra weight.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

Always filled with either water/antifreeze mix or salt water.

i guess old tractor tires dont research the google well enough to know what they've been missing for years.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We've run Calcium in them as well.

Calcium Chloride is a common tire ballast but is also extremely corrosive to metal.
    Water with a gallon of antifreeze in each tire is more than adequate for the cold in this state.
    My fronts are filled with some kind of foam. Don't know how it compares weight wise but I never have to worry about flats.

I’ve got straight water in my rear tires and I haven’t had a single problem yet.

I know a couple people who have run windshield washer fluid in their tires. It won't freeze and its cheap. My 1992 kubota has had water in all 4 from day 1. Had the two fronts replaced last year and had no signs of issues at all...

Last time I got a new set of tires I told them not to put anything in them. With 4wd, I can't tell the difference

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I’ve got the rear tires on these kubota loaders filled with water/antifreeze to add weight to the back of the machine. No issues as far as corroding from the inside. The fertilizer they run in has the outside looking rather shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Last time I got a new set of tires I told them not to put anything in them. With 4wd, I can't tell the difference

I didn’t think so either until one tire got a hole. I plugged it and filled with air and that tire would always try to spin when pulling the disc.

Water/antifreeze mix in the rear, new front tires about 7-8 years ago and I think I remember him filling them with foam.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I’ve got straight water in my rear tires and I haven’t had a single problem yet.
    well you need to get your google on and buy the $3/gal magic elixir you didnt know you needed...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

I was doing some work for a guy on lake wateree and using his tractor to drill some holes for a deck. His tires didn't have fluid and I just about flipped the tractor into the lake a couple of times. My tractor has fluid in the tires and I've never had that problem.

The BACK and FRONT tires on my JD are filled with water and antifreeze........Never had a problem......GTG in any temperature

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Best not use it in extreme low temps......That sliding ice can ruin a tire or tube.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well you need to get your google on and buy the $3/gal magic elixir you didnt know you needed...
    Sounds expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    Best not use it in extreme low temps......That sliding ice can ruin a tire or tube.

Well I’ve had it for 6 years. We have had one or two cold nights.
    Last edited by b-stick; 03-04-2024 at 09:51 PM.