Thread: Forest Acres Integrative Medicine

Default Forest Acres Integrative Medicine

If you're around the area and are looking to move away from the sick-care model, this just opened in Forest Acres.

https://www.rootsim.org/
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Good to know. My wife sees a practice like this and it has changed her life for the good. 20 years of GI docs telling her she had IBS and to take this drug or that drug that "cure" a symptom instead of looking for the cause. Her lady in Charleston did a shitload of bloodwork and got her taking some vitamins and minerals that she was deficient in and altering her diet and she is now kicking ass and never telling me her stomach hurts. I am pretty convinced that our food is the root of the bulk of our issues.
    cut\'em

Glad to heat she found help. That seems to be the story for the majority; people spending years/decades/lifetimes unsuccessfully treating a condition with meds that would be a simple fix with a few lifestyle/nutrition changes.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Good to know. My wife sees a practice like this and it has changed her life for the good. 20 years of GI docs telling her she had IBS and to take this drug or that drug that "cure" a symptom instead of looking for the cause. Her lady in Charleston did a shitload of bloodwork and got her taking some vitamins and minerals that she was deficient in and altering her diet and she is now kicking ass and never telling me her stomach hurts. I am pretty convinced that our food is the root of the bulk of our issues.
    And to your point follow the Amos Miller trial in PA.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Who does she see down here? I’m looking for a new doctor.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Who does she see down here? I’m looking for a new doctor.
    Her name is Melissa Altman. She works/worked with Merge Medical in Mt Pleasant.

I will say it is not cheap and some of the stuff she recommends is out there (even for free thinkers) but my wife is seeing great results and improved quality of life.
    cut\'em

Does anyone remember the old folk story about Stone Soup.

These gut health coaches and integrative medicine experts remind me a lot of that story. They sell you these supplements (the stone) and then to “add flavor” they work on establishing a healthy diet. Diet the was the answer not these supplements they sell.

I find high value in chiropractors, integrative medicine, naturopaths, dietitians due to their focus on the most important thing. There is overwhelming research supporting role of gut health and microdiversity on our GI system, neurological system , metabolism, etc.

However there is a universal agreement amongst researchers that we simply don’t have reproducible evidence in treatment options (yet other than the effectiveness of a diet low in processed foods.) Even probiotics aren’t strongly backed by research mainly because most of them get inactivated by oxygen or stomach acids rendering them ineffective in clinical practice.

What loses me, they sell these supplements at huge financial margins without any evidence to actually back them up. They could reach equal outcomes likely if they left out the snake oil and focused on diet. Seems quite a conflict of interest.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 03-22-2024 at 08:00 AM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Does anyone remember the old folk story about Stone Soup.

These gut health coaches and integrative medicine experts remind me a lot of that story. They sell you these supplements (the stone) and then to “add flavor” they work on establishing a healthy diet. Diet the was the answer not these supplements they sell.

I find high value in chiropractors, integrative medicine, naturopaths, dietitians due to their focus on the most important thing. There is overwhelming research supporting role of gut health and microdiversity on our GI system, neurological system , metabolism, etc.

However there is a universal agreement amongst researchers that we simply don’t have reproducible evidence in treatment options (yet other than the effectiveness of a diet low in processed foods.) Even probiotics aren’t strongly backed by research mainly because most of them get inactivated by oxygen or stomach acids rendering them ineffective in clinical practice.

What loses me, they sell these supplements at huge financial margins without any evidence to actually back them up. They could reach equal outcomes likely if they left out the snake oil and focused on diet. Seems quite a conflict of interest.
    Agreed, Lot of people are looking for a quick fix cure. Some look to prescriptions, some look to copious amounts of supplements, without looking at nutrition, movement, and more crucially, in my opinion, mental health. The body keeps the score and if you have unresolved trauma, there will be somatic symptoms including autoimmune and chronic illness. Trauma disrupts the gut brain axis with innumerable downstream ill effects.

https://www.rupahealth.com/post/addr...TSD%20symptoms.
    Last edited by everlast; 03-22-2024 at 08:38 AM.
    -Samuel Adams

What people fail to realize is that many supplements are medications, they just aren’t FDA regulated. They too can interact with other medications and have side effects. And many prescription medications are really just supplements. The finances and market base determine whether they seek FDA approval and “become medications” or whether some of these want to enter market as a supplement and avoid all the expensive trials but at risk of not being covered by insurance. The line is more blurred than many believe

Aspirin in from tree bark
    Some thyroid medications are just pig thyroid hormone
    Penicillin is a mold
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau