Thread: Ads Unlimited?

For many moons, I eagerly awaited the latest copy of my DU magazine arriving.

I finally made it around to thumbing through the September/October 2004 issue. 157 pages from back to front, and you had to reach page 58 to not see an ad on every other page. Save for a very few articles, there were very few places that an ad did NOT hit you from one of the two pages you had open.

Has it come to this? Do they really have to whore out the magazine that bad for the almighty dollar? I have back-issues dating to '81 and it was not this prolific "back in the day".

Another one I'm about tired of is the UKC's "Hunting Retriever". Nothing but ads for collars, kennels, and studs. A few results and maybe one or two interesting articles along with the obits.

I sure do appreciate "Sporting Classics" more and more these days, along with "South Carolina Wildlife".

Sporting Classics seems a little heavy on the ads since Art passed away, imho. The "wildlife art" section, quite frankly, bores the shit out of me.

Check out Shooting Sportsman. It's a pretty high quality magazine with some meaty articles.

LCS-- I can see what you're saying. I also agree on the sporting art-- most anything advertised in that magazine is well beyond my means of aquisition-- merely something for me to drool over. I work with Art's wife and have heard her mention the mag not once since his death.

Gander-- heard you mention that journal the last time we were at Joe's place-- something about the duck story and Snake J if I recall. I'll have to pick one up.

Do you peruse "Clay Shooting USA"? I've picked up a couple copies and have been able to discern a few a bits from their articles.

The magazine Snake was mentioned was Sporting Clays. Daddy Ducks old man writes for the magazine (he also writes for Wildfowl).

I have a subscription to Clay Shooting USA. It’s the best magazine out there covering sporting clays. It has the best information concerning shooting techniques and such.

I love Shooting Sportsman magazine. Good hunting articles and good insight into fine guns