View Poll Results: Should there be a state wide ban on the use of these loud mufflers during duck season

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

71 66.98%
  • no

35 33.02%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mud motors

the nanny state isn't even questioned anymore
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I agree MM are overly loud and diminish the enjoyment of being on the water. More than once I thought a Blackhawk was going down as one was passing by. You can literally here some of them for miles. That being said, is it not possible to make an area MM free and do some research? Not hunt restricted, just MM. Maybe sponsor a graduate student program.

Heck, do another that is paddle-in access only.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Exactly… like I said they live miserable life’s they always have to find something wrong with something or someone
    My life’s a bundle of joy 98% of the time.

Mudmotors spook ducks dude. Like bad.
    It’s a real problem.

You’ve seen my gadwall flat. It no longer exists.
    For years crabbers ran outboards in there everyday at high tide.
    2 seasons of mudboats in there and there wasn’t but 5 birds all season this year.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Back in the 70's, 80's and even the first half of the 90's, you didn't see most ducks jumping several hundred yards away due to an outboard going by. You could still finish ducks with an outboard idling by at 300 yards. Now, even if it's a half mile away and the mud motor is at the landing, you can give up on working ducks. You see ducks jumping on the far side of a lake if a mm is running. I've often seen mallards jumping out the timber from a mm just running up a river. Outboards rarely cause that. All my hunting is on public land so it may be different on private.
    This is happening still.

Every year we are driven farther out of very productive areas because of them.
    The ducks are driven farther or to private land altogether.

Let Relentlous speak up on this post.
    All it takes is a single mudboat to find marsh that’s been productive for several hunters for years….

That effin racket maker can ruin a 2 mile stretch of marsh forever.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Exactly… like I said they live miserable life’s they always have to find something wrong with something or someone
    That's a lazy argument. Sure people complain for nothing, but most of the time there is some truth behind it, and most times there is a lot of truth. That is especially true in our day in age. A lot of people "don't know how to act right". I'm pretty sure any level headed person could arrive at the fact that mud motors have been bad for duck habitat and duck hunting. And I honestly don't have a dog in the fight, but can see the logic of it.
    Last edited by Remy; 02-29-2024 at 10:14 AM.

Not sure if youre aware but Waterfowl hunting is a very regulated sport. 3 shell plug. Lots of wma have shell # restrictions. Punt guns are illegal. 6 bird limit. Lots of states have banned spinners. No electric calls. No vait. The list goes on and on.

In the end, when an activity, or tool, is proven to have an unsustainable affect, it's restricted. I don't think that means anyone is miserable.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I think a lot of yall base your info on SC which is one of the crappiest states to hunt in. Do I think mud motors can harm waterfowl hunting yes if used incorrectly but I also think it’s a tool and if used correctly you can kill ducks I do and don’t have an issue. The problem is you ain’t killing so you need to find an excuse to blame it on like everything else. I can promise you could ban every mud boat in the state of SC and it’s not going to fix the problem and if you think it will God bless your sole. I hear it everyday can’t killem in the timber anymore since they took away the mojos. Not fair private can use them but we can’t and so on. I could give 2 shits if they made us just use sling shots to killem I can promise you I wouldn’t get on sites and cry like a baby over it I’d adapt and find away to get it done! And I’m done good luck changing the world for how YOU want it let me know how it works out for ya!
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-29-2024 at 10:43 AM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Here is ya some ducks shot in SC on public with 3 mud boats in the hole and shot some why retrieving ducks why picking up ducks the dog lost with the mud boat running.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-29-2024 at 11:57 AM.

I once owned an impoundment with 2.5 miles of dike. Electric motors, paddles and walk-in were the methods of transportation.

Of course I could have allowed mud motors to distribute hunters. Until you manage public land like it were your own, you will not maximize your experience outdoors.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I spent a lot of time out there over the winter and most hunters and all the biologists want a shorter season and reduced limits.
    This definitely is not a fact for California! There's a hot debate out here right now about cutting just five days off the season to give more of a rest before the youth hunts and people want blood at just the thought of losing five days!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Hybrid idea:

1) no mud motors for 30 days of duck season, but you can use them for the other half of the season.

OR

2) mud motors are limited to Saturdays only and you can't use them scout throughout the week and run birds off

Ducks will find the best habitat with the least disturbance.

I quit hunting public years ago.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I think a lot of yall base your info on SC which is one of the crappiest states to hunt in. Do I think mud motors can harm waterfowl hunting yes if used incorrectly but I also think it’s a tool and if used correctly you can kill ducks I do and don’t have an issue. The problem is you ain’t killing so you need to find an excuse to blame it on like everything else. I can promise you could ban every mud boat in the state of SC and it’s not going to fix the problem and if you think it will God bless your sole. I hear it everyday can’t killem in the timber anymore since they took away the mojos. Not fair private can use them but we can’t and so on. I could give 2 shits if they made us just use sling shots to killem I can promise you I wouldn’t get on sites and cry like a baby over it I’d adapt and find away to get it done! And I’m done good luck changing the world for how YOU want it let me know how it works out for ya!
    Dang dude, you can't possibly be that dense. Any moron can kill ducks out of a mud boat. It keeping birds around all winter with that noise is the problem. I've watched birds leave the area before you get there a many a day because of the noise.
    Due you ever consider the resting or roosted birds listening to those lawn mower sounds in the dark?

And just because you kill a few birds on opening day out of a mud boat doesn't mean it didn't bother them long term, get outta here with that garbage. I know you know better, at least I hope.
    Last edited by BRR; 02-29-2024 at 12:14 PM.

are normal gas motors quiet?
    or just "quieter?"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Dang dude, you can't possibly be that dense. Any moron can kill ducks out of a mud boat. It keeping birds around all winter with that noise is the problem. I've watched birds leave the area before you get there a many a day because of the noise.
    Due you ever consider the resting or roosted birds listening to those lawn mower sounds in the dark?
    Man I hunt in a state where you drive a mud boat to a air boat then go hunt and will see and kill more ducks than you will ever see in this state and been doing it since I was 13 years old you are dense if you think mud motors will fix the problem. And they do air boat tours all day long 7 days a week. So don’t give me that bullshit

Man I hunt in a state where you drive a mud boat to a air boat then go hunt and will see and kill more ducks than you will ever see in this state and been doing it since I was 13 years old you are dense if you think mud motors will fix the problem. And they do air boat tours all day long 7 days a week. So don’t give me that bullshit
    A pile of Trash ducks on a wide open expanse in Florida, at Thanksgiving, to boot doesn't come anywhere close to comparing to our small fragile waterways and few birds.

[QUOTE=BRR;3149861]A pile of Trash ducks on a wide open expanse in Florida, at Thanksgiving, to boot doesn't come anywhere close to comparing to our small fragile waterways and few birds.[/QUOTE I sure hope you think that’s what we kill there! Just remember the ones crying about change ain’t killin! Yall try and make laws for lack of success!And where we shoot what YOU again you call a trash duck doesn’t mean it’s a trash duck to someone else! But again like I told ya before good luck! How many ducks you shoot in SC this year including wood ducks?
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-29-2024 at 12:41 PM.

Florida has higher quality and quantity of habitat than SC does, that's for sure. But them ringers down there are dumb as dirt and thick as thieves. I don't doubt that you see a bunch on your airboat tour, but regardless, SC has way less water and suitable habitat for migratory birds that is quickly and efficiently boogered up by exhaust noises.

It don’t matter what it is yall will find something to complain about with lack of success like a bunch of oat milk drinking liberals.

It don’t matter what it is yall will find something to complain about with lack of success like a bunch of oat milk drinking liberals.
    Boy you sure are proud of yourself, I haven't complained about lack of success. I am complaining because it could be better for everyone. If you only knew what other people were doing regularly you might remeasure your "success".

Success is killing birds and still maintaining an imprint for the next year and generations.