Thread: That’s a wrap

Default That’s a wrap

Started strong, finished strong. Last 2 weeks the birds have acted just like you’d expect this late in the season. Throw some 70° days in there and they pretty much can just goof off all day. Tough to pattern. Wrapped up the regular season this morning and started getting out the big snow goose spreads and charging the e-callers. Time to take this thing down the back stretch.

Regular season total:
    Geese 463
    Ducks 149
    Cranes 50
    Total 662

IMG_3730.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done.

Dang… nice work.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Nice! Those geese numbers are something I dream about. Post some updates and pic's from your snow season.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp4720 View Post
    Started strong, finished strong. Last 2 weeks the birds have acted just like you’d expect this late in the season. Throw some 70° days in there and they pretty much can just goof off all day. Tough to pattern. Wrapped up the regular season this morning and started getting out the big snow goose spreads and charging the e-callers. Time to take this thing down the back stretch.

Regular season total:
    Geese 463
    Ducks 149
    Cranes 50
    Total 662

IMG_3730.jpg

You killed 463 geese????!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    You killed 463 geese????!!!!
    Our group did, yes. I log each hunt, weather, crop, field/water, etc. There’s a core group of 4 of us every weekend. If the feed was big enough we would try to invite 1 person each to make a total of 8-9 guns.

We hunted in Iowa during the break between early teal season and regular opener in Texas. Liberal limits up there of 2 each so it drug our average down. We did shoot a few bands so that was fun. Hunted feeds of 200-300 which was way different than the panhandle of Texas.

"Group". Gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Spring snows a coming!

How big of a spread do you guys put out for your snow hunt with the e-callers?? How long does the late snow season last for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Spring snows a coming!
    I’ll let you know when I find them and you can book a flight….

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    How big of a spread do you guys put out for your snow hunt with the e-callers?? How long does the late snow season last for you guys?
    Depends.

Over water we’ll run 50-60 dozen, enough to hide everybody good.

In a field 80-90 dozen.

Season ends 3/10

Man, that is one hell of a spread to set. Are you doing a full pull and re-set each hunt or just spread adjustments?

Man, that is one hell of a spread to set. Are you doing a full pull and re-set each hunt or just spread adjustments?
    Put em all out, pick em all up. Make adjustments as needed during the hunt. Guys in the Midwest will set a snow spread and leave it the whole season. That won’t fly here, 99% of the places we hunt have cattle turned out. Besides that, somebody else might get permission on that section before next weekend and we’re off to a new spot of our own anyways. That’s why the core group of guys is helpful. Giving direction to 3-4 people that don’t know what they’re doing is a pain but it’s way better than just turning them loose and having to fix it all at shooting time. I take one side and my neighbor takes the other. We set a boundary and let everyone else start filling it in. One of the two of us will build the hide while the others are filling in. We pretty well have it down to an art so we can setup, go park, walk back, and be ready to hunt in 45 minutes to an hour. Taking down is about an hour and a half because it takes a minute to repack those bags. We did build a big cube box deal this summer that saved a ton of time. All those socks will stack in there without breaking down the backs. That cube will hold 20 dozen socks. Probably need to build a few more and throw those divebomb bags in the dump.

Yeah that is some work. I've never set anything that big. You are right thought it really helps when guys know the routine. Are you guys using mostly socks with some full bodies on stakes? Any silhouettes?

We would use big animal feed bags for our soft side full bodies, but man even a smaller spread would take a small trailer and some work.

Yeah that is some work. I've never set anything that big. You are right thought it really helps when guys know the routine. Are you guys using mostly socks with some full bodies on stakes? Any silhouettes?

We would use big animal feed bags for our soft side full bodies, but man even a smaller spread would take a small trailer and some work.
    Normal spread is 20 dozen Gym Shoe full bodies, they come in totes like you’re talking about. Then 60-70 dozen socks and silos in addition to the full bodies to add volume. Not often we have a day where the wind is too light for socks, but it does happen occasionally. Those gym shoes are very nice compared to the old style where you had to set the stakes then the decoys. We modified 3 dozen over the summer and put taller stakes on them to use around the layouts, worked really well. Anytime birds are feeding closer to a field edge or a terrace in a field, I’d prefer to pile up tumbleweeds and hide in those, keep the decoys away from you a little bit. That’s rarely the case though around here. Most of the time they are in the middle of the field. Works more often on cranes where the tumbleweeds are piled up around the well head on a center pivot. Excellent hide and we don’t usually hunt more than 4 guys on a crane feed so it’s pretty easy.

I looked up those gym shoe decoys, nice that it saves a step, I'm sure that cuts down on some time.

Good luck with those snows!

Quote Originally Posted by cpp4720 View Post
    Our group did, yes. I log each hunt, weather, crop, field/water, etc. There’s a core group of 4 of us every weekend. If the feed was big enough we would try to invite 1 person each to make a total of 8-9 guns.

We hunted in Iowa during the break between early teal season and regular opener in Texas. Liberal limits up there of 2 each so it drug our average down. We did shoot a few bands so that was fun. Hunted feeds of 200-300 which was way different than the panhandle of Texas.

👀

oh hush...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.