Thread: Grinding in the steering on f150

Default Grinding in the steering on f150

Have a 2019 f150 and have a feeling in the steering wheel like there is something caught up in the front axle. Dont think it is a braking issue, as it happens when i accelerate and at lower speeds, but then goes away when i brake or get going a little faster. And i cant hear it as is described below, rather feel it in the steering wheel.

The google seems to have nailed what i am dealing with. Anyone ever dealt with this on an f150 and know what i am looking at to get it remedied? Expensive?

From google -

Integrated wheel ends (IWEs): IWEs are a common source of grinding noises in Ford F-150s. They are responsible for switching the front axle between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive. If the IWEs are failing, they can make a grinding noise when you accelerate, especially at low speeds.

I'm about to have my second wheel bearing and IWE sensor replaced on my 2022 (front drivers side). The replacement last October has gone bad. I have never felt it in my steering wheel, the grinding noise at lower speed is what I have noticed. It has ruined two tires due to uneven tire wear (Falken Wildpeak).
    Last edited by dfasano; 02-02-2024 at 09:23 AM.

did you replace on your own or have it done in a shop? what did it cost you?

I have a 2015 and have had uneven tire wear for a while now. I had bad low speed grinding noise and took it in and shop said the hub was the problem and was about to fail. Replaced and it improved but now I am starting to get another bit of noise. Don't know if that is the same as IWE but will have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUfisherman View Post
    I have a 2015 and have had uneven tire wear for a while now. I had bad low speed grinding noise and took it in and shop said the hub was the problem and was about to fail. Replaced and it improved but now I am starting to get another bit of noise. Don't know if that is the same as IWE but will have to look into it.
    Youtube is a pretty amazing thing ---

Two pretty good videos - one on how to diagnose, the other on how to change the IWE.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    did you replace on your own or have it done in a shop? what did it cost you?
    Covered under powertrain warranty.

Mine is a 2014. Just replaced the hub actuators this week for the 2nd time in about a year. Lot of the same symptoms as you described. I had A2Z do the repairs. Also had some other work done as well. Not sure how much the cost was. I’ll let KRT give you a rough cost on just that portion of it.

Replace the hubs and actuators. Do both sides.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Use genuine Ford parts
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Replace the hubs and actuators. Do both sides.
    I only had the hubs replaced. What are the actuators? Sorry I'm not a car guy at all.

So I guess I just wait until I have the noise come back and then have to do this dance again.

There's a lot of people talking about the IWE noise on the F-150 forums. Seems to be an ongoing issue. My 2023 does it periodically when below 32 degrees. It's only happened once down here, but when I was in Wisconsin before Thanksgiving, it happened a couple of times. It makes noise for a few seconds or a minute or so and then goes away. Seems like Ford doesn't have a fix for it yet.

You can replace them yourself if you are handy and have basic tools.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Had a 2017 f150 and lived with IWE/actuator issues for 7 years. In and out of the shop 12 times since new and never really cured it. Took it to the dealer most of those times and they eventually tried to blame it on the way I was driving. Just a bad design apparently. Glad it's gone now.