Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 day aged venison

Default 30 day aged venison

This is my favorite way to cook venison now…by far the most tender I’ve ever eaten

When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I gather that you aged hide-on? You should do a video on that process if you haven't already.

I would argue (shocker) that you cant age a deer ham because there is no fat.
    i'm sure its yummy. I couldnt make it past the seasoning part but it sure sounds delicious.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What does fat have to do with the dry aging process?

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I gather that you aged hide-on? You should do a video on that process if you haven't already.
    Yes if you watch the previous video on my channel that’s what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I would argue (shocker) that you cant age a deer ham because there is no fat.
    i'm sure its yummy. I couldnt make it past the seasoning part but it sure sounds delicious.
    Don’t need fat when deer have skin…aged with the hide on

Sorry I’m still a little dry…don’t like talking on camera still
    Last edited by HEAD; 01-31-2024 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    What does fat have to do with the dry aging process?
    I have always been under the impression that fat can too easily become rancid and that meat aging is the process of properly controlling the temperature and humidity to allow the protein enzymes and ‘good bacteria’ to do its magic.

This article explains it better than I can:

https://www.themeateater.com/wild-an...-of-aging-meat

But then maybe all of us are wrong… eh?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I have always been under the impression that fat can too easily become rancid and that meat aging is the process of properly controlling the temperature and humidity to allow the protein enzymes and ‘good bacteria’ to do its magic.

This article explains it better than I can:

https://www.themeateater.com/wild-an...-of-aging-meat

But then maybe all of us are wrong… eh?
    This is the 6th deer I’ve done this way and account the article it shouldn’t work but there is a highly noticeable difference in taste and texture between two hams cooked the same way, and one is 2 weeks old vs 4 weeks.

4 weeks the muscle fibers are much much more relaxed.

I have installed several commercial dry age rooms. To make it work properly you need constant temperature control (+-1 degree), humidity control (low and high), and proper air circulation around the meat. The type of lighting is also a factor. Dry aging also creates more waste and the outer portions on thee meat are not edible and will need to be trimmed. That is one reason a fat cap is used as well as it reduces water loss. We usually hang deer 7-10 days in the cooler (32-34 degre)which is not really dry aging but released the rigor and seems to get rid on some of the gamey smell and taste. Waste is not excessive and the meat is easier to cut and trim.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-31-2024 at 10:36 AM.

I've aged quail in the refrigerator, unplucked or gutted, for a week and tasted it beside birds shot the same day and the difference in flavor was very noticeable. I've read that French chefs leave ducks feathered and un-drawn and hang them by the head until they drop from their own weight. I don't really understand why it's still safe to eat, especially with birds that have been shot full of holes.

I tenderize venison loins with sous vide. A couple hours at 120 degrees makes them just right and ready to sear. I've done it much longer and made it down right mushy. The heat breaks down the collagen to tenderize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've aged quail in the refrigerator, unplucked or gutted, for a week and tasted it beside birds shot the same day and the difference in flavor was very noticeable. I've read that French chefs leave ducks feathered and un-drawn and hang them by the head until they drop from their own weight. I don't really understand why it's still safe to eat, especially with birds that have been shot full of holes.

I tenderize venison loins with sous vide. A couple hours at 120 degrees makes them just right and ready to sear. I've done it much longer and made it down right mushy. The heat breaks down the collagen to tenderize it.
    Friend of mine always aged ducks drawn and feathers intact for a week or two in the frig. Till you could wipe off the feathers. Guts and hide shot full of holes, not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    I have installed several commercial dry age rooms. To make it work properly you need constant temperature control (+-1 degree), humidity control (low and high), and proper air circulation around the meat. The type of lighting is also a factor. Dry aging also creates more waste and the outer portions on thee meat are not edible and will need to be trimmed. That is one reason a fat cap is used as well as it reduces water loss. We usually hang deer 7-10 days in the cooler (32-34 degre)which is not really dry aging but released the rigor and seems to get rid on some of the gamey smell and taste. Waste is not excessive and the meat is easier to cut and trim.
    I hang mine with the hide on….eliminates any waste…looks just like the day you kill it

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

I do it with ducks in the same cooler I hang the deer in…if it has a shot hole into the guts it dosent make it to 2 weeks …the others are fine after 2 weeks…and much easier to skin…same for doves and quail

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Friend of mine always aged ducks drawn and feathers intact for a week or two in the frig. Till you could wipe off the feathers. Guts and hide shot full of holes, not for me.
    You can’t wipe off the feathers, ever. Ive eaten them up to 3 months or so uncleaned sitting in fridge. Always store breast up and most sit 2-4weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    Don’t need fat when deer have skin…aged with the hide on

Sorry I’m still a little dry…don’t like talking on camera still
    you done good. I just didnt have time to finish it up.

We've had the discussion of aging on here before. I just find it interesting. I need a meat scientist to tell me what is happening other than drying. Pink salt is a different beast. I would love some clarification on the process.

i am sorry I mentioned fat. I am basing my process after talking to a butcher. maybe his point was that aging a deer in walk in cooler was not something he would recommend when grinding into burger and sausage. this is a different cut and maybe there is something to it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    This is the 6th deer I’ve done this way and account the article it shouldn’t work but there is a highly noticeable difference in taste and texture between two hams cooked the same way, and one is 2 weeks old vs 4 weeks.

4 weeks the muscle fibers are much much more relaxed.
    I guess I’ll have to read the article slower since I thought it supported more than it contradicted anything you did.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Ya'll all remember..........Aging is just controlled rot............No way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    Ya'll all remember..........Aging is just controlled rot............No way around it.
    Go be a pussy somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    So is cheese, beer and liquor.

Some of y'all ain't gonna last 15 minutes when the SHTF......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.