Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Mockingbird

Default The Old Mockingbird

Peculiar, direct, poetic, loyal, a man of integrity …There are many words to describe Reverend Zach Farmer. Over the years we spoke of hunting but not as much as we did of everyone around us and how important they are to our daily life. We talked shop, well he talked shop, mostly I sat and listened trying to pick up as much as I could from someone who’s turkey calls I was fascinated by. I admired his humility of how many people wanted those calls and persistence of perfection that went into making those instruments. He loved his wife and daughter and never missed an opportunity to tell stories or share pictures and poems he wrote to both. Zach touched many lives throughout his life, serving 26 churches throughout the state. He loved the outdoors, was perfectionist at all he did in the woods, and as successful/lucky as they come. The friends he had were abundant, and he always had a story to tell if you had the time to sit and listen. I’ve never heard him say a crossed word about anyone, such a hard thing to find these days. One thing for certain, he is with the Lord our God and the love of his life Mrs Lee. These are a bunch of ramblings about an old man I knew and loved, I’m not sure if they make sense to everyone as it's difficult to put into words all he was. All I know is that with everyone one of the older men in our lives that pass the world gets a little bit smaller. Don't take life or the people in it for granted, they are put here in your path for purpose.

zach farmer.jpg

The Reverend Zach Farmer was born on June 24, 1938 in South Carolina, the son of the late Rev. Reuben Thomas Farmer and Almeta Talbert Farmer. He left this world on January 28, 2024 after fulfilling the most ideal life possible as the husband of the late Lee Cantley Farmer of Williamsburg County, SC and the father of Mary Farmer Branham and her husband, John, of Sevierville, Tennessee, and as a clergy member of South Carolina United Methodist Conference. He had the honor and privilege of being the pastor of 30 church congregations.
    Funeral services will be held at 1:00 pm, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, at Providence United Methodist Church in Holly Hill, SC, with Rev. Rebecca Rowell officiating. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. The family will receive friends following the graveside service.
    Memorials may be sent to Providence United Methodist Church, 4833 Old State Road, Holly Hill, SC 29059.
    No matter what a man accomplishes, or how he uses his life, it will all someday be abbreviated in cold words upon a cold stone (if he was fortunate). Perhaps, sometimes, a passerby may stand at the Farmer grave plot in Providence United Methodist Church, Holly Hill, SC and thereon read the epitaph of a man called Zach.

Let this inscription be upon my stone,
    When to God's final call my soul has gone;
    No lasting work may he have done.
    No crowns achieved, no honors won;
    But with clear purpose all could see,
    To God he gave his loyalty.
    His life and love he gave to Lee.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 01-29-2024 at 07:24 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

RIP Reverend Zach

One of my favorite stories I’ve ever heard told was him telling the story of the box caller that Mrs Lee bought for him on their honeymoon in Charleston with money they didn’t have, then seeing him pull that call out of his pocket.

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

That was fabulous! That man could play a Trumpet! Wish I owned one of his calls.

Mr Zack was a fine man. I sat in his den in awe of his ability to run a trumpet call, a call he made with his own hands. I’ve never heard anyone sound as much like a turkey as he could. Like Ricky said, any time you talked with him he always talked of his family, especially his wife. He was the type of guy that you could sit and listen to for hours, as I did on several occasions. 20220418_094517.jpg

Dang Boozer, you beat me to it.

Godspeed, Rev. Farmer

Blessed to have the opportunity to tell him what he meant to this S.C. turkey hunter. It was only a 15 minute phone conversation but something I will forever cherish. Glad their is no more pain and I will look for him in Glory.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

well said, ricky

He will be missed.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Great words, Ricky.

I just went back thru my phone and found some vids and pics from 2019 at OGP when he made an appearance. Scott had me take Mr Zach to the 250 to get him started on his morning hunt. He didn’t want anyone tagging along, just asked me to tell him again where the lines were and where to start.

I remember driving off leaving him standing there in there in the dark thinking I sure would have loved to have tagged along but I got the point when he insisted on going at it alone.

I understand where he was coming from.

I sure enjoyed his stories etc from those couple days.

God speed, Reverend Zach.
    Last edited by GBelly; 01-29-2024 at 07:18 PM.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Well said Ricky. I talked to him several times at church about turkey hunting. The man loved to talk turkey for sure. I explained the first time we met at our church‘s 100 year celebration several years back that we had never met but he’d called up a turkey to me. He looked confused but had to know what I was referring to. I told him the story of you and I watching videos of him running a trumpet mid morning and the bird sneaking in the back door only for us to see each other at the same time and running off. He got a kick out of that.

LEGEND...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    Great words, Ricky.

I just went back thru my phone and found some vids and pics from 2019 at OGP when he made an appearance. Scott had me take Mr Zach to the 250 to get him started on his morning hunt. He didn’t want anyone tagging along, just asked me to tell him again where the lines were and where to start.

I remember driving off leaving him standing there in there in the dark thinking I sure would have loved to have tagged along but I got the point when he insisted on going at it alone.

I understand where he was coming from.

I sure enjoyed his stories etc from those couple days.

God speed, Reverend Zach.
    I remember me and you cooking for them. Under tractor shed I think.

https://thetandd.com/news/local/zach...home-top-story
    I never met the man but he clearly touched a lot of lives.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    https://thetandd.com/news/local/zach...home-top-story
    I never met the man but he clearly touched a lot of lives.
    Those that didn't get to meet Rev Zach and listen to him missed out. He was a good un for sure.

Rick and Rhodes, I sure appreciate all you did for him.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

This encompasses everything that makes turkey hunting so special. Treasure each day you have and each day your blessed to hear a turkey gobble.

Goodspeed Mr. Zach!

What a pleasure it was to spend time around him
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jarrett80 View Post
    I remember me and you cooking for them. Under tractor shed I think.

Your memory is correct. A decent amount of turkey lore in that triumvirate
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

gene cant cook.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

God Speed Reverend Farmer. Time passes but we can continue to hold those special to us in our hearts so they may live forever.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

That’s right, P… and fro and RY too, I think

Was a grand time
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!