Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LH 20's?

You can order a LH Silver Pigeon in 20. Grady Ervin in Charleston may even have one.

Otherwise get an M2.

Those are my two LH 20’s.

For those touting the M2s. How many full rounds of sporting clays, skeet, or trap have you shot with the gun?

I’m left handed. I bought a silver pigeon 20 ga. All my other shot guns are right handed guns. I love the silver pigeon but if I was buying it over again I’d buy a 12 ga and maybe consider doing the cylinder reducers. If I were rich thought I’d just buy one in every gauge.

Will, on that LH 686 does the lever push to the left or is it the same receiver as the RH model just with a stock with cast to the left?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-26-2024 at 08:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I have the right hand model. I guess I just think of it as left hand because it’s not backwards like most rh guns for a left handed person. I don’t think the stock has any cast to it that’s why I feel it’s ambidextrous. Really the only thing that messed me up with a right handed gun was the safety. I’ve reversed safety’s on all my semiautomatics. When I was searching for a left handed gun there are always very few models to choose from. I waited on a left hand a400 during Covid and finally just bought a right hand. They charge more money for them too. I’m looking at left handed rifles now and running into the same thing. I think with a bolt action gun I’ll get a left handed gun.

Will, take a string and tie it to the bead at the end of the barrel. Run it straight down the rib all the way past the stock. If there's a bend one way or other it'll be apparent.

If it is a right hand stock you can simply swap it out for one with LH cast to bring the gun in towards your eye.

Purchased my 686 gently used. Seller didn't know it had a LH stock until I sent him a message after the sale asking him. I ended up unloading it on eBay and purchased a RH also on eBay and only lost about $15 on the deal. LH stocks are out there. Cole's lists a lot of their takeoffs on eBay as well as on their website so it's a good place to look.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2024 at 03:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Dude decided on a used 686 20ga that we caught a deal on, then gonna purchase a LH stock for it.

Thanks for all the input.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Just curious... For sake of conversation, let's assume most target shooters toting a 12ga are using a std 1oz load. A 20 can push 1oz of lead pellets out the end a barrel just same as a 12 and at an equal velocity. Same amount of pellets, even if a small difference in velocity not enough to make a difference.

Then why a 12?
    Some food for thought from your conversation point above...

The theory is that a 12ga will have better, more complete "coverage" or "less holes" within the 30" circle than will a 20ga due to the increased starting bore size of a 12ga. Sure, they will both get the same percentage of pellets into the 30" ring on the paper but a stationary paper patterning target is a static enviroment. That doesn't include the variations in shot string between the gauges when fired at moving targets. Take station 4 on a skeet field or a teal with a tailwind...shooting at a crossing target does NOT mean you will have a perfectly round 30 inch cloud of shot arriving at the target all at once. Also, hotter loads have a higher POI and will have a greater impact on pattern with smaller shot sizes...pattern 1 oz of #9 out of a 12ga and 1 oz of #9 out of a 20ga and see what the difference looks like

Standard payload for 12ga is considered 1 1/8 while 20 ga standard load is 7/8. 1 oz load in a 20 is considered a Magnum or Game load, whereas it is a target load for a 12. Increased payload forced out of the smaller bore will cause more deficiencies in the pattern along with a longer shot string. When patterning my sub gauge scatter guns over the years, I have found that 20 ga significantly EXCEEDS the pattern requirements, whereas my 28ga guns MEET the pattern requirements.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-01-2024 at 10:17 AM.