Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 Youth 20 Ga Choke Question

Default 870 Youth 20 Ga Choke Question

Gents, Bought the son (8) a 20 ga youth 870 after discovering that I probably shouldn't shoot tss through my model 41. While probably ok to do so, gun smith said he'd question doing it and I got an excuse to buy a new gun.

Anyway's, figuring out chokes. Seems 20 Ga is in the .555 -.580 constriction. From what I have read, seen etc. Looks like a great patterns at 40 yards but tight as hell at 20. While, my son can shoot, this is his first go around for Turkey season, where he will be shooting. I dont want his heart rate etc to throw off the pattern at 20 yards or closer. He aint going to shoot 40 yards out. Im leaning towards a standard full choke or even something more open so he has a little wiggle room and seeing how that patterns. Curious to others opinions or experiences with other chokes in that model to try out that will be good for this gun. Will be shooting Fed tss #9 currently. Will also be putting a red dot on it.

On the same side, this would be a sweet little set up for me when hes not using it and would want a tighter pattern. Essentially seeing if something in the .56-.57 range would be open enough for a child at 20 yards. Dont want to start off buying 10 chokes. Looking to narrow it down a bit to start out and test the patterns.

thanks for the advice.

Commenting before you get bombarded with Jeb’s, Indian Creek, Sumtoy, etc.

I’ve had no problem at all with my 20ga 870 with a factory mod and Magnum Blend or Heavyweight 7s. I’m sure it’d be even better with TSS.

KISS and maybe save some money for ammo. Good luck.

For an 8 yr old, modified and keep the shots inside 30 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    What he said.

My kid killed his first last year with a 410 and TSS. That bird was about 25 yards. He was shooting a Mossberg Bantam 410 with a 16.5" fixed modified barrel. I told him to shoot it in the beard.

I would stick with a modified as Sportin said. If he is to nervous, shoot in the body. TSS will them.

You can’t kill a turkey without TSS anymore? Is that part of the new regs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post

I prefer to make it easier on my kid. He was 5 when he killed his first.

The answers above is what I was thinking unless someone came along and said yeah a .560 choke in that gun is open enough for a child. Im going to test stock chokes with tss and non tss loads and see whats up. preciate the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I have a 870 28ga with a fixed modified choke tube in it. I shot it one season and killed 6 birds with it from 15 to 42 yards with it. My 20 and 40 yard patterns were great. I think you will find TSS patterns very well in most chokes and using a factory modified in that gun will kill them as far as you want to for your 8 year old to shoot with enough wiggle room for nervous shots up close!

I tend to get a little crazy when it comes to patterning guns and tend to overthink things sometimes. For most hunting applications a modified choke and TSS is all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

What they said or an Indian Creek .570 seems to pattern great in mine and open enough for a kid. Tell him to shoot him right in the turkey.

When my son was that age he didn’t have the strength to hold a gun steady/properly to shoot a turkey. He ended up shooting his first with the aid of a tripod at age 9. The tripod severely restricted his range of motion but we got lucky and got it done (without a blind no less, that turkey was suicidal). I don’t know the kid in question but a blind and a shooting rest of some sort will help immensely. Mine used an sbe2 with a pheasant load. Wouldn’t have mattered if he had a light wit 20or 410 in terms of his ability to handle the firearm without a lot of help

I’ve got Indian Creek 570 in mine

Factory mod or full right in the wing butt
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

This is such a silly argument. Why don’t we throw rocks or try to will them to death with telepathy?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    This is such a silly argument. Why don’t we throw rocks or try to will them to death with telepathy?
    Agree. I've had encounter with plenty of them bastards I wanted to kill with any means at hand. I like TSS.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My kid killed her first turkey with lead #6s. Yours can too. I guarantee it.

Nothing wrong with the factory chokes, full or mod. They have killed plenty of birds. Plus I suspect you already have them so win/win

My kid killed her first turkey with lead #6s. Yours can too. I guarantee it.

Of course they could, but why? Should we take a tent and make an Oregon Trail run to the farm 70 miles away, or is it OK to drive the F-250?

Mine has a Kicks .570 with 5,6,7 blends and has handled every bird it ever needed to.

i aint getting into this mess other than to say : please dont let your kid be the one to shoot paper a million times bc that gun is gonna kick like a rented mule.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.