Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk side by sides.

Default Let’s talk side by sides.

I know this is a dead horse subject but I’m lazy and don’t feel like searching. Also I’d like some up to date experiences. I’m getting ready to be in the market for a side by side. Needs to be big enough to carry a 50gal burn/spray rig, fast enough to quickly get around fires, and relatively reliable. Work is pushing for me to buy a Polaris but I’ve heard a lot of bad things about the Ranger 1000s. I’m kinda on the fence between the Can-am HD10 and the Ranger 1000. John Deere and Kubota are the only brands I won’t entertain. What say the brain trust!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Transmision issues on the Ranger 1000 would push me away from that for sure. I would also look at Kawasaki Pro Mule or a Tyrex.

Almost 6k miles on my 2021 ranger 1000 6 seater. So far so good. Sometimes I use it to haul my welding rig on some close-by field repair calls. Especially if it’s down in a soggy area. I have the single over head cam version.

With the amount of sxs’s riding around where I live, with a good amount being Polaris, I haven’t heard of many problems. Seems like a lot of people I talk to having problems are the guys hauling them to adventure parks beating the shit out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LMR View Post
    With the amount of sxs’s riding around where I live, with a good amount being Polaris, I haven’t heard of many problems. Seems like a lot of people I talk to having problems are the guys hauling them to adventure parks beating the shit out of them.
    This machine will be used almost exclusively on prescribed burns throughout the state it will definitely get its fair share being rode hard and put up wet.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Kawasaki Mule
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

We have had to go bobcat for our last few. They are almost too fast but have seemed to hold up.

Kawasaki Mule

7700 trouble free miles on my Can Am HD 10 so far.

Honda pioneer 1000

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Honda pioneer 1000
    Unfortunately I don’t think the Honda bed has enough room for the the burn rig I’m gonna be using! That’s one of the main and only reasons to not go with a Honda.

I’ve had 2 Ranger XP1000’s and I have no complaints or issues. My current one has about 3k miles on it. I pull a 10ft grain drill behind it to plant food plots and it pulls it with ease. Also pull a 14’ trailer behind it when doing yard work sometimes. No complaints.

Out of curiosity, why no kubota?
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why no kubota?
    Too heavy and too slow. I’ve burned with one in the past and if the firebreaks are wet it’s going to sink.

This is what I’m aiming for whether it’s a ranger or defender or mule.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post

This is what I’m aiming for whether it’s a ranger or defender or mule.

looks like you answered your own question, I have a 2020 Polaris 1000 and it hasn’t given me a seconds trouble
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Anybody remember when side by sides were classy shotguns?

There is not a side by side made that will be abused and say thank you , there has to be some level of taking care of your equipment
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Too heavy and too slow. I’ve burned with one in the past and if the firebreaks are wet it’s going to sink.

That was my thought

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    looks like you answered your own question, I have a 2020 Polaris 1000 and it hasn’t given me a seconds trouble
    That rig can easily be built for a can-am or a Kawasaki as well