Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Subcommittee Meeting, Wednesday @10;30AM....

Default Wildlife Subcommittee Meeting, Wednesday @10;30AM....

Please, if you have an opinion on this, make your voice heard by attending the meeting in person or contacting the Subcommittee members directly to voice your concern.

The Wildlife Subcommittee of the House Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Environmental Affairs Committee will be meeting on Wednesday, January 17, 2024, at 10:30 a.m. in Room 410 of

the Blatt Building at the State House complex. On their agenda is H 4820, a bill which will amend turkey seasons (agenda attached).

The current version of that bill can be found here: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125...0_20240110.htm

If you support these changes to benefit turkey populations in South Carolina, you can go to the subcommittee meeting, sign up to speak and give a brief testimony regarding your position on the bill.

Another way to voice support is by calling or emailing Wildlife Subcommittee members or any of the members of the full Ag, Nat. Resources & Env. Affairs Committee. The membership of the committee can be found here https://www.scstatehouse.gov/Committ.../houseagri.php and by clicking on each member you will see their contact information and a link to send them a message (email through the website). You can also find legislator’s email addresses at this link https://services.statescape.com/Legi...South+Carolina

The Chairman of the committee is Representative William M. "Bill" Hixon. Rep. Hixon has been very supportive of the science, data, research, and discussions that have gone into the SCDNR recommendations. Any appreciation and respect that can be shown to him and other sponsors (Reps. Forrest, Hixon, Hayes, Chumley, Burns, Haddon, Magnuson, Chapman, and McDaniel) of the legislation for following the professional recommendations would go a long way to demonstrating the public support for substantive changes needed to improve the declining turkey populations in most of the State. These legislators need to get a better understanding of the amount of public support for change and the real declines in turkey numbers seen around most of South Carolina.

When contacting these legislators make sure to give them your name and let them know where you are from. At this point in the process, they are happy to hear from any resident of South Carolina, don’t feel like you can’t reach out to them if you don’t live in their district. They are dealing with a bill that effects all South Carolinians, so they want to hear from you. The time to contact your local representative is when the bill leaves committee and goes to a vote on the House floor. This will eventually show up in the Senate and at that time you can reach out to Senators in a similar fashion.

Wildlife Subcommittee:

Rep. Cal Forrest, Chairman

Rep. Heather Bauer

Rep. Daniel Gibson

Rep. David Hiott

Rep. Ryan McCabe

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOUR VOICE AND OPINION ARE HEARD, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO REACH OUT TO THE WILDLIFE SUB-COMMITTEE AND YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 01-15-2024 at 06:02 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I'm confused. Are they proposing April 10 as a start date or just changing the bag limit to two
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

And thank you for posting this. I'll be making calls and sending emails tomorrow.

April 10
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I can't make it to the meeting tomorrow, but I did email everyone on the sub-committee to let them know I support the season change and the bag limit change. Thanks again for letting me know this was coming up tomorrow.

I can't be there either tomorrow but I did the same as you and have reached out to all the members on the committee.

Emails sent
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Sunset clause....

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Sunset clause....
    yep....

"TO AMEND THE SOUTH CAROLINA CODE OF LAWS BY AMENDING SECTION 50-11-580, RELATING TO THE SEASON FOR HUNTING AND TAKING MALE WILD TURKEYS, BAG LIMITS, TAKING FEMALE WILD TURKEYS, AND ANNUAL REPORTING, SO AS TO ADJUST THE HUNTING AND LIMIT FOR TAKING MALE WILD TURKEYS; and to provide a SUNSET provision."

Take snacks and a good book. Watching the dot gov in action is about as exciting as a snail race.

I sent emails, anything further on the meetings now that they have happened. Any positive feedback?

All in all, it was very positive

Cationic?

Couldn't make it but watched as much as I could, and am very thankful for those who did go to have their voice heard on behalf of hunters. Hopefully we get this one right, follow the science, and see positive outcomes long term for the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Cationic?
    In a closet!

So what happens next and what can we do?

Senate had their hearing this week as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    In a closet!
    Super sonic?
    Last edited by fro; 01-19-2024 at 07:51 AM.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I have about as much faith that the right thing will be done for turkeys as I do for ducks, and that ain't much. I hope I'm wrong on both accounts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.