Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Video-SCDNR Cat 1 WMA MISMANAGEMENT

You are absolutely CORRECT about the great job Achi has done at Santee Coastal Reserve. SCR is most probably the top WMA in the Atlantic flyway. In my 2 previous presentation I commended Achi and his staff for managing that property at its highest level.
    This video presentation ONLY talks about Broad River,Bear Island,Santee Delta East,Santee Delta West and Samworth.

Is Achi responsible for how SCR is hunted, both ducks and deer? Last time I was there you couldn't drive past the tractor shed, couldn't hunt the islands, camp ground had changed.
    Who decides Santee West dates, if you can't kill a duck in 3 years, might as well allow deer/hog hunting more.
    Last edited by mudflat; 01-13-2024 at 02:32 PM.
    Low country redneck who moved north

That is what this presentation is all about. There is “0” management and the Wildlife Division must be held responsible. We need change at the top and staff on these WMAs. The DNR board defends this poor performance. This would never be tolerated in the private sector.
    At the end of the video there are instructions on how to e-mail the General Assembly. Please ask them to intervene.

You should go jack off

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    You should go jack off
    yep.....and man up and state your name if you're gonna call out SCDNR mgt, board, staff etc
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Passion.

Couple things: harvest percentages have a major factor that everyone seems to overlook.

Hunters ability to kill. I know for a fact that often times a group of 4 comes with nary a shell left and 7 teal between em.
    That affects percentages drastically.

Also - Nobody wants to talk about the fact that Santee National Wildlife Refuge has been stacked to the gills with “coastal” ducks for the last decade.
    Tens of thousands of puddle ducks.
    Not many are killing em due to hunting styles up here, but they have adapted to complete nocturnal feeding.

These thousands of birds sit in the refuge all day.
    Get up at 6:30-7pm and fill the hunt club impoundments up.
    At 4:30am they get up and fly back to the refuge to sit all day.

This is why you’re able to see 15-20k birds just in Cantey Bay alone.
    Most folks don’t see the other units.

This has proven that corn is a stronger attractant than widgeon grass and chara.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Straight from the NWR systems website: hunting is the main priority for the NWRs.

*Santee NWR: deer and varmints only

What a joke.

As an outsider who has been on 9 draw hunts behind the dikes I have the perfect solution.
    Make it public land. Open it wide up to hunting Saturday Sunday and Wednesdays. No reservations.
    No driving down dike roads. Want to hunt Murphy? Anchor boat on bank and walk over pulling a sneak boat. The Cape. Park in parking lot and walk in. Hunt wherever you like 3 days a week. It's your public land. Complete BS y'all have to wait 3-4 years for a 4 hour hunt, that apparently doesn't remotely live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    As an outsider who has been on 9 draw hunts behind the dikes I have the perfect solution.
    Make it public land. Open it wide up to hunting Saturday Sunday and Wednesdays. No reservations.
    No driving down dike roads. Want to hunt Murphy? Anchor boat on bank and walk over pulling a sneak boat. The Cape. Park in parking lot and walk in. Hunt wherever you like 3 days a week. It's your public land. Complete BS y'all have to wait 3-4 years for a 4 hour hunt, that apparently doesn't remotely live up to expectations.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Somehow we allowed the idea that hunting tidewater impoundments was a privilege that we should be so lucky to get to hunt.
    Its retardation at its finest.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Maybe somebody realized that too much pressure can ruin a spot.......and because it was good and so many applied it takes 3-4 years to get drawn.

Let's don't subscribe to hunt everything crowd. Refuges with limited natural foods hold ducks for a reason.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I’d add:
    make it more restrictive for non residents. Limit number on each hunt. 1st come 1st serve. Maybe limit each hunter to a certain number of hunts per year. 6-10 sounds about right.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    I’d add:
    make it more restrictive for non residents. Limit number on each hunt. 1st come 1st serve. Maybe limit each hunter to a certain number of hunts per year. 6-10 sounds about right.
    There’s nothing wrong with eliminating OOS hunters all together.

A decade ago I proposed opening Bear Island and the Gun Club to September teal.
    I was told by a prominent ACE Basin property manager “it’s a safety factor, there’s so many alligators in these fields, it’s just too dangerous.”

I stated that the largest alligators in the state were killed every year on Marion and Moultrie, and the state didn’t seem concerned. A motion was made to move on with the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    I’d add:
    Defeats the purpose of opening it up. Just go hunt it 3 days a week. Murphy is 5 miles long and 2.5 miles wide. Open it up. How crowded you think that place will be 3 days a week if you have to walk in over dike? Or even take a bike? Ain't gonna happen. Edit: you start expelling OOSers, you face the reciprocal in other state owned hunt spots. SC is the largest exporter of waterfowlers on the planet.
    Last edited by sprigdog; 01-13-2024 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Defeats the purpose of opening it up. Just go hunt it 3 days a week. Murphy is 5 miles long and 2.5 miles wide. Open it up. How crowded you think that place will be 3 days a week if you have to walk in over dike? Or even take a bike? Ain't gonna happen.
    I hear ya. Is it all or nothing though? Get drawn every 5 years vs someone hunting it 3 days a week for 60 days? Making it harder may not be the best method. I think about my 80 year old Dad who used to could’ve and would’ve but not now. The memory just popped up on fb of 4 years ago at the cape w him. I’m hoping to get drawn next year and unfortunately that may be his last one.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

You don't want another Sparkelberry Swamp do you?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

If you opened up to Murphy to anyone with a boat it would look like a Sparkleberry duck run.

As a friend of a friend I’d love to explain coastal habitat call Tindall

There’s no need to try and explain, Russell.
    Delta East, West, and Samworth have been under major construction for the last 3 seasons. Pretty easy to have no harvest if there is no hunting.
    Private plantations don’t have to lobby for money. When there’s a repair needed, they have a capital call, and the work gets done, regardless of price.
    Opening SCR to the public everyday will never happen. That property is held in trust by the state, and any deviation or abuse ( that’s what it would be), would likely cause it to revert back to TNC.
    The guys that manage those properties work for next to nothing, bust their ass for an ungrateful public and have to defend themselves every year about this time. We are lucky to have them.
    That video is a joke.
    Last edited by Tranquility; 01-14-2024 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility View Post
    There’s no need to try and explain, Russell.
    Delta East, West, and Samworth have been under major construction for the last 3 seasons. Pretty easy to have no harvest if there is no hunting.
    Private plantations don’t have to lobby for money. When there’s a repair needed, they have a capital call, and the work gets done, regardless of price.
    Opening SCR to the public everyday will never happen. That property is held in trust by the state, and any deviation or abuse ( that’s what it would be), would likely cause it to revert back to TNC.
    The guys that manage those properties work for next to nothing, bust their ass for an ungrateful public and have to defend themselves every year about this time. We are lucky to have them.
    That video is a joke.
    Hit dogs holler!

which spot do you manage?
    Windows Down!