Thread: Diesel Cars / SUV

Default Diesel Cars / SUV

Since we're on diesel trucks, how about diesel cars / SUV? My wife is wanting a new SUV. She currently drives a Buick Enclave and would like to stay in a mid-size SUV. She doesn't want a car or a large SUV. And her favorite saying for any vehicle I send her is "I don't like that". Anyway, she has found a Jaguar SUV that has a 2.0L 4 cy diesel that she likes, but I'm hesitant and thinking about trying to talk her out of it. Thoughts? How dependable are these small diesels found in cars now?

Also, what are some of the most dependable mid-size SUVs out there? She doesn't like a Highlander, 4runner, Rogue, any Chevy / GMC SUV.

Do not buy that Volvo if you value your US Dollars
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

"jaguar" and "diesel"

Both expensive AF by themselves. Combining the two sounds like a bottomless money pit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I'm with the other two idiots.

I wouldn't buy a Jaguar to start with. I certainly wouldn't have 'em drop a baby turbo diesel in one.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Sounds like you need to ask her; however, if I never had a towing need, I would buy one of the new Grand Highlanders. Finally it is big enough and is thoroughly Toyota and gets 28 MPG on the highway. My parents have had one for 16 years and the second one is three years old and they are fantastic, just needed to be a bit bigger. Now they are. the longer model helps out visually as well as it looks more balanced in the rear. Your challenges in making a woman happy will not be resolved here, but as far as a mid-sized SUV, the Grand Highlander should be at the top of the list. Car and Driver's Review: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...nder-revealed/

MG

PS. Fukl Disclosure: After many years driving 5.3 V8 Suburbans while the rest of the family had Toyotas, I have been driving Sequoias now for 15 years.
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 01-11-2024 at 11:30 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Sounds like you need to ask her; however, if I never had a towing need, I would buy one of the new Grand Highlanders. Finally it is big enough and is thoroughly Toyota and gets 28 MPG on the highway. My parents have had one for 16 years and the second one is three years old and they are fantastic, just needed to be a bit bigger. Now they are. the longer model helps out visually as well as it looks more balanced in the rear. Your challenges in making a woman happy will not be resolved here, but as far as a mid-sized SUV, the Grand Highlander should be at the top of the list. Car and Driver's Review: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...nder-revealed/

MG

PS. Fukl Disclosure: After many years driving 5.3 V8 Suburbans while the rest of the family had Toyotas, I have been driving Sequoias now for 15 years.
    I wish Toyota wouldn't have put the stupid turbo in the new Sequoia and Grand Highlander. That took it off the list for my wife's new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I wish Toyota wouldn't have put the stupid turbo in the new Sequoia and Grand Highlander. That took it off the list for my wife's new ride.
    I have decided that I will just buy the lowest mile 2021 sequoia I can find when it’s time to replace the 2016 sequoia she drives. They might be ancient by the time that comes. A good friend has 320k on his with nothing other than ordinary maintenance done. I am shooting for the same.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I have decided that I will just buy the lowest mile 2021 sequoia I can find when it’s time to replace the 2016 sequoia she drives. They might be ancient by the time that comes. A good friend has 320k on his with nothing other than ordinary maintenance done. I am shooting for the same.
    Same. In fact, I drive mine to a certain mileage now and buy my miles down (three times so far). My preference is Limited, not Platinum so space between the second row seats with sunroof delete. Solid trucks that only want fresh oil, lots of gas, and occasionally puke their secondary air system. MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 01-11-2024 at 12:55 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Find one that doesn’t have a turbo. Period. The Volkswagen atlas is on my wife’s list. They have a standard v6 option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Find one that doesn’t have a turbo. Period. The Volkswagen atlas is on my wife’s list. They have a standard v6 option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's everyone got against a turbo?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    What's everyone got against a turbo?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Premium fuel requirement first and foremost... And most midsized SUV's run a 4cyl and use a turbo to make up the HP. Having the least amount of expensive parts to fail bolted to an engine the better. There is no replacement for displacement and in my case my wife's car better be able to tow the boat in case I need to use it one day.

Its personal opinion, to each their own.