Thread: Remington Model Seven Action and Barrel

Default Remington Model Seven Action and Barrel

I’ve got a nice piece of wood for a Model Seven. Looking to find a .243 action and barrel. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’m no rifle nut and not looking to go down the rabbit hole of building rifles, just want a plain ole factory blued barrel and assembly. Thanks.

dont you have other, more important things to do?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It’ll be a hand me down one day, so I guess it’s on-topic.

24hr campfire.com

Rokslide.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    24hr campfire.com

Rokslide.com
    This. Or buy a new one complete rifle, drop it into the nice piece of wood, and sell the stock that comes with the rifle.

I have a Model 7 in 6mm Rem. I love the gun and have killed a bunch of deer with it. The gun is also offered in .243 and 7mm-08. If I were doing it all over, I'd go with a different cartridge than the relatively obscure 6mm Rem. It's very close in performance to a .243 and shoots the exact same bullets but the .243 ammo is a lot easier to find.

Of those three choices, I'd actually pick the 7mm-08. The heaviest bullets readily available in 6mm/.243 is about 100 grains. 7mm-08 can be found from 120 to 165 grains. Check a ballistic chart and see how flat shooting the 7mm-08 is and the terminal energy and it seems like a clear winner to me. With reduced recoil loads, it can be almost as gently on the shoulder as a .243. I think the 7mm-08 is perhaps the ideal cartridge for SC deer.

You really are going into this backwards from most searches. Most folks have a gun and want better wood. Buying a whole gun with a cheapo stock might well be your best or only choice.

If you do buy a whole gun, hang onto the extra stock and cut it to a youth length. Then you'll have the pretty stock to swap it to when your kid grows and learns to take better care of his heirloom gun.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 01-11-2024 at 09:11 AM.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Pacific Tool and Gauge…. They bought the Remington Custom Shop.

You are welcome!
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Read the reviews regarding customer service before you do business with Pacific Tool and Guage

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by acebasinman View Post
    Read the reviews regarding customer service before you do business with Pacific Tool and Guage
    I have done some business with them. Got 3 reamers, bottom metal, a trigger, and an M40 barreled action. They are a little slow but never a problem.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.