Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GMC, gas vs diesel

Default GMC, gas vs diesel

Shortly I will need a new truck and have never owned a diesel.

Diesel is 30% higher than gas.

Could I get some real numbers on fuel economy with the 3.0 GMC.

I'm presently getting:

17 mpg around town
    21 mpg on highway
    12.5 mpg pulling my boat @ 78 mph on I95.

I have owned 6 GMC 1500's. The only problem I've ever had was a torque converter going out under warranty.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

25-26mg...2021 AT4 on 34s

I really don't see the advantage of a diesel over gas due to fuel cost, def fluid, etc. Just my .02
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

'21 AT4 3.0. 21-22mpg on 35" tires, might drop down to 20-21 on highway.
    Never have to tow my boat far enough to have any input on that.

I feel the 3.0 duramax will make pulling a 21ft bass boat much more enjoyable than a 5.3. On our North Dakota trip this year we averaged 27mpg in a bone stock AT4 with factory Duratracs that are close to 33”.

27 hwy, 24 towing. Not even comparable to the gasser towing. An under talked about benefit is the lack of downshifting with the 3.0 vs the gas. I tow bassboat local and make multiple trips west during duck season towing jon boat. The 3.0 not redlining when on an incline like the gas motor is so much more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Shortly I will need a new truck and have never owned a diesel.

Diesel is 30% higher than gas.

Could I get some real numbers on fuel economy with the 3.0 GMC.

I'm presently getting:

17 mpg around town
    21 mpg on highway
    12.5 mpg pulling my boat @ 78 mph on I95.

I have owned 6 GMC 1500's. The only problem I've ever had was a torque converter going out under warranty.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    I know the kid still driving this truck!

Default GMC, gas vs diesel

2022 Silverado RST Z71 with 3.0, do not use the auto start stop and if I hand calculate mileage usually have .75 to 1 mpg better than truck says.

19 mpg towing loaded 6x12 utility trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-10-2024 at 01:48 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

105k on my 3.0 and see the same numbers as Davis. Little better when I had the Bridgestone street tires but A/T tires were a little less.

I’m sure DEF, fuel filters, general maintenance etc with diesels helps justify the fuel economy everyone raves about.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Maybe the 3.0 is the cat's meow but its still a diesel with emissions crap and its still a GM post Obama. What's KRT's real opinion of them and if he was buying a GM pickup today whats he buying?
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Maybe the 3.0 is the cat's meow but its still a diesel with emissions crap and its still a GM post Obama. What's KRT's real opinion of them and if he was buying a GM pickup today whats he buying?
    You know my opinion. Post Obama sums it up. Emissions is getting really difficult to defeat.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I change my oil every 5k using the Mobil 1 dexos d and the gold ac Delco filter. I do not tow much so def is filled up at half every few months from a box. Change the fuel filter at 15k and doing the next at 35k. Air filter was done with fuel filter and will be done at the same time again. Taking to dealership at 40-45k for trans fluid, unless I decide to do it myself. So far I have not seen much cost over a gas vehicle but I try to keep up with all PM as up to date as I can.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Cue Salty Dog

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Def fluid, dpf exhaust emissions equipment, and having to replace an oil pump belt that requires sliding the transmission back 6 inches at the 100k mile mark are the downsides of going with a half ton diesel.

Not sure if these use the cp4 fuel pump but if so the pumps are a ticking time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Cue Salty Dog

BrokedownMax. Stepson owns one, been in the shop on the regular for some emission stuff, he drives 15 minutes each way to work.

I keep trying to justify owning another diesel and just can't. Gas is so much easier and lets me sleep at night not having to worry about a fuel system issue, DEF, emissions system failures, high fuel costs etc. I tow up to 20K with a gas engine in the F350 and never had an issue and a tuned 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 is so much more fun to daily drive. Most people like that Mini BrokedownMax, to me the fuel economy wouldn't pay for the headaches, heck on the highway I get 600 miles plus in the EcoBoost, longer that I care to sit at one time.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    BrokedownMax. Stepson owns one, been in the shop on the regular for some emission stuff, he drives 15 minutes each way to work.

I keep trying to justify owning another diesel and just can't. Gas is so much easier and lets me sleep at night not having to worry about a fuel system issue, DEF, emissions system failures, high fuel costs etc. I tow up to 20K with a gas engine in the F350 and never had an issue and a tuned 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 is so much more fun to daily drive. Most people like that Mini BrokedownMax, to me the fuel economy wouldn't pay for the headaches, heck on the highway I get 600 miles plus in the EcoBoost, longer that I care to sit at one time.
    How’s that 7.3 holding up? I’m about to buy a 21 F250 with the 7.3 for work.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    How’s that 7.3 holding up? I’m about to buy a 21 F250 with the 7.3 for work.

Only time it's been in the shop is for oil changes and tire rotations. It'll pull anything I own without breaking a sweat, 28' Southport, Kubota KX040 Mini Ex, Bobcat T770 or the loaded dump trailer. I'm at 44K but don't DD it much anymore, with the heavy front service suspension, air bags and camper package plus the BFG Terrain HD's on it, it's not a great ride unloaded. Loaded, it's smooth as you could ask for. If you get one, call 5 Star in Florence and tune it, I run the 87 Daily Tow Tune. The tune smooths out those hard shifts you hear about and takes the pedal lag Ford has in all of it's trucks out. You're welcome to come look at it and drive it if you want. Get the 4.30 rear though, much better than the 3.55 or 3.73. 12-12.5 mpg unloaded overall, less if you're towing or hauling a lot. I ordered this one to do work so, it's set up a bit different than what dealers usually order to keep on the lots.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Def fluid, dpf exhaust emissions equipment, and having to replace an oil pump belt that requires sliding the transmission back 6 inches at the 100k mile mark are the downsides of going with a half ton diesel.

Not sure if these use the cp4 fuel pump but if so the pumps are a ticking time bomb.
    Oil pump belt is 150k

Quote Originally Posted by head hunter View Post
    27 hwy, 24 towing. Not even comparable to the gasser towing. An under talked about benefit is the lack of downshifting with the 3.0 vs the gas. I tow bassboat local and make multiple trips west during duck season towing jon boat. The 3.0 not redlining when on an incline like the gas motor is so much more enjoyable
    Agree on that