Thread: Interior Alaska trip

Default Interior Alaska trip

Planning an interior Alaska trip in summer of 2024. Plan to focus around Denali. Anyone have any tips on places to stay close to Denali? Is it better to fly into Fairbanks or Anchorage? Plan to flyfish the streams, if I can get up the courage to battle the bears for fish. Input?

My wife and I flew into Anchorage about a decade ago, rented a Tahoe, and drove around for a couple of weeks. We went kind of late (end of September into October), so we didn't go all the way up to Denali. We spent a couple of days in Talkeetna near the base and enjoyed it. We also drove down and fished the Kenai for salmon and trout, I duck hunted with a client, and just explored.

I wouldn't recommend spending any significant time in Anchorage.

"what do you say Charles"

My better half and I lived in SouthEast Alaska for 3 years. I can't help much with your itinerary in the Interior, however, don't be afraid of the bears. If you're there when the salmon are spawning, the bears won't give a damn about you. Just use common sense and take something to protect yourself as a last resort...and if you see a mama bear with cubs, give her a wide berth. I'll admit, the 1st bear I encountered got my heart pounding, (I was hunting puddle ducks in a slough, and a big black bear decided to climb up and eat crab apples about 50 yards from me), but it got to be a routine thing seeing bears and I never had any issues. Have fun!
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"