Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream turkey gun

Default Dream turkey gun

If you had the chance to build your "dream" turkey gun, what would it be? Unlimited funds and or could be a budget gun that just works and kills em dead as fried chicken. I have a cheap Charles Daly that I paid like $200 or $250 years ago and a sumtoy .562 choke in it. With the old Heavyweight 7's, it's a hammer. Short and easy to move around and an almost non existent recoil make me tote it and leave the A400 at home. Opinions?
    every expert was once a beginner

I shoot an 870 compact with a 21” barrel, an “extra full” choke, and a Burris red dot. I shoot them with TSS 9’s in the upper turkey and kill them
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

My two are an M2 Compact that’s been dipped and cerakoted and has a Trijicon SRO on a Scalarworks base. I’ve been hunting it the last few seasons and it’ll kill them further than anyone should shoot with a Rhino 575 choke. It’s also got a Briley trigger and a Surecycle recoil spring/tube

My new one for this year is a Stevens 301 compact with a FF3 on a Sumtoy base and a rattle can paint job. Looking forward to hunting that one this season. Looks and feels too small to be a turkey gun but it throws a great pattern with the choke that comes with the standard 301 turkey gun

Both are 20ga shooting Boss 9s

Obviously those 2 guns are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of cost but they’ll both smack down a gobbler
    Last edited by ShortMagFan; 01-06-2024 at 05:08 PM.

I have shot a 20 ga a400 with a turkey choke and red dot for a few years. Started with fed hw#7 and moved to tss.

Last year I learned the hard way that red dots can lose there POI. Maybe from flying, I dunno. I was hunting with my daughter and both her .410 and my .20 were WAY off with the red dots. We botched a double. I was amazed at how far off they both were when I resighted them. It has made me question having extra hardware on the gun.

Since then I have just been shooting an benelli m1 12ga with a full choke and no red dot. It is pretty hard to miss with tss #9. A full choke is plenty to make a 20" death circle at 40 yards with tss #9's. It has two beads and the gun shoot true.

I supposed if I could make any rig magically appear, it would be a m1 20ga with pistol grip and a Burris ff3 that was sighted in.

I would also like to note that a good trigger job is helpful. Some shotguns have a really heavy trigger.

Also, I put Timney triggers in all of my turkey guns. I check POI multiple times during the year with dove shells. They don’t get off very often, but it happens.

You head shooters will eventually miss
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Also, I put Timney triggers in all of my turkey guns. I check POI multiple times during the year with dove shells. They don’t get off very often, but it happens.

You head shooters will eventually miss
    Damn, can’t believe you and I do something of the same. Upper turkey…..
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I shoot an 870 compact with a 21” barrel, an “extra full” choke, and a Burris red dot. I shoot them with TSS 9’s in the upper turkey and kill them
    IMG_7056.jpg

Same here.

A300 ultima 20 with 24” barrel. Indian Creek .562. Meadow Creek mount with green dot Holosun 407c.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

IMG_4079.jpg
    Youth 870 20 guage with a Kicks .570 choke with blends but can’t remember what they are off the top of my head.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine’s nothing fancy

Remington 870 express magnum NWTF edition with 21” turkey barrel. I put a different spring in the trigger and it’s pretty crisp. I have it drilled and tapped for a red dot but don’t currently have one on there. Jellyhead choke and I still shoot magblends. And my initials are carved in the stock
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

So apparently everyone in here has already built their dream turkey gun?

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    My two are an M2 Compact that’s been dipped and cerakoted and has a Trijicon SRO on a Scalarworks base. I’ve been hunting it the last few seasons and it’ll kill them further than anyone should shoot with a Rhino 575 choke. It’s also got a Briley trigger and a Surecycle recoil spring/tube

My new one for this year is a Stevens 301 compact with a FF3 on a Sumtoy base and a rattle can paint job. Looking forward to hunting that one this season. Looks and feels too small to be a turkey gun but it throws a great pattern with the choke that comes with the standard 301 turkey gun

Both are 20ga shooting Boss 9s

Obviously those 2 guns are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of cost but they’ll both smack down a gobbler
    This trigger kit?
    https://www.briley.com/p-65568-as-sh...ring-pack.aspx
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    Well you got to look at it this way a “dream turkey gun” is a hell of a lot more affordable than a dream house so I would assume that if the guys that are passionate about turkey hunting have already built 1 or 4 of their dream guns
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Haha. I was thinking the same thing as I read. Man asked a question and there hasn't been an answer yet unless all these guns listed are "dream" guns.

Mine was the franchi so I bought one and set it up.

Last year, a CZ sharptail 28ga sxs
    This year, SBE3 28ga...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    No sir. This one. Cost is kind of embarrassing and not necessary but it does make a difference

https://www.briley.com/p-58223-benel...-triggers.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Last year, a CZ sharptail 28ga sxs
    This year, SBE3 28ga...
    How’d the Sharptail do? Been wanting a cz sxs in whatever they call the cerakoted model but worried about barrel regulation

Killed em dead....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I have several that I’ve built. The one with the most range is a 12 ga old school greenleaf 11-87 with a Burris. It can shoot far but it’s heavy. I have a 20 ga M1 with a pistol grip that has shot plenty. The little toy 870 is just what I tend to grab 90% of the time.

I sometimes get some pellets in their head if they duck at the last minute.