Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 gallon Hardy & Newsom Cast Iron Cauldron

Default 40 gallon Hardy & Newsom Cast Iron Cauldron

Gentlemen,
    I have recently become an owner of a 40 gallon Cast Iron Cauldron. Made by Hardy & Newsom Inc. In Lagrange, NC. ( not sure of the manufacturer date) Currently the that company was bought out by MMM, Inc. I emailed them looking for information on this cauldron. But I figured I would pick the thoughts of the SCDuck brain trust to see if anyone had any information or thoughts on this cauldron. I am trying to find information and if any accessories exist for this item to complete the look for a future fire pit.
    IMG_1035.jpg

J. Edmonston,

(Tried adding more photos but it is not letting me.)
    Last edited by jedmonston2005; 01-02-2024 at 11:44 AM.

`I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that is the "Hansel and Grettel" model. I bet it's a real treat to move.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

2 man lift!

Logo on the bottom. (Reduced the size of the photo seemed to help get it to post.)
    IMG_1126.jpg
    Last edited by jedmonston2005; 01-02-2024 at 01:30 PM.

let it be known, we better not hear that you drilled a hole in it so water can drain out.

You will need that after the revolution comes. That’s perfect for scalding hogs, washing clothes, bathing and such.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

A fire pit?! What a waste.

Clean it up, season it and cook something in it.

I don’t know anybody what calls that cauldron. And I don’t know anybody that would make a fire in that. It goes under it.

I can imagine the seafood stews bubbling in there months after the power has gone out and the gensets have all run out of fuels...

Looks like that one used to sit in a metal table top from the rust ring. Good Stew pot, fish fry pot, or liver mush pot. Get to cooking in it.

We had one at the farm that we scalded hogs with... until someone stole it.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Imagine the chicken bog you could make in that thing
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

If that things fit to cook in, I'll gladly weld you up the fanciest fire pit you can dream up in exchange for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Chicken bogs are made in crock pots and left overs are used to get 80’s floral pattern wallpaper to stick.

Cast iron pots and bath tubs are for tacky flowers and fire pits.
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-02-2024 at 05:45 PM.

I just saw one on FB Market Place and thinking about buying it

Unless it’s cracked or has holes in it turning that into a fire pit is simply barbaric.

I have one that looks just like it, not sure if it’s made by the same company. I use it as a fire pit, but all you have to do is put a fire under it to cook in it. The problem with cooking in it is how big it is, it’s huge and I don’t think i know that many people. I had 5 gallons of burnt peanut oil after thanksgiving that I needed to get rid of so I made a fire in it and poured all the oil in. It burnt that oil off for about 6 hours and you would have never known it ever had any oil in it. The only thing I can’t get it to do is hold a seasoning because the fires get so hot any oil you put on it will burn off, so it always looks rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    As long as b35w isn't allowed to cook it.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I have one that looks just like it, not sure if it’s made by the same company. I use it as a fire pit, but all you have to do is put a fire under it to cook in it. The problem with cooking in it is how big it is, it’s huge and I don’t think i know that many people. I had 5 gallons of burnt peanut oil after thanksgiving that I needed to get rid of so I made a fire in it and poured all the oil in. It burnt that oil off for about 6 hours and you would have never known it ever had any oil in it. The only thing I can’t get it to do is hold a seasoning because the fires get so hot any oil you put on it will burn off, so it always looks rusty.
    The one I have took 4-5 trips through a powder coat oven and I don't know how many cans of crisco before it got seasoned. Now that thing is good to go and make a heck of a stew.

Inside looks pretty good so someone cooked on it at sometime or other. That pot is irreplaceable today. You can still buy a 40 gallon for about $850 but they are thin walled pots and a different shape that do not cook as well.

Inside pic… actually worst than it looks.
    IMG_1038.jpg

But y’all think it is salvageable? Hmm?
    Last edited by jedmonston2005; 01-04-2024 at 03:14 PM.