Thread: Tesla Fire & 36,000 gallons

Default Tesla Fire & 36,000 gallons

I've always wondered about this and why you never hear about the safety of EVs in crashes. How would EMS handle these incidents? What about when two, three.... pile up on the interstate? Let em burn to the ground with folks pinned inside? I have to think once the battery arcs or starts to melt there's not much you can do.

How about the fumes from a lithium battery fire? Are those good for you? The environment?

A0CE2A1B-0740-474D-93F5-930FC1B11878.png

You won't hear about it, as it doesn't fit "their" agenda.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I wouldnt think water would be the right thing to use on an electrical fire, especially if its acid or lithium, but what do I know...

I’ve done a few training classes with teslas and ford EV’s. Tesla has an emergency disconnect that will kill all power to “safe” the batteries. Tesla is actually very open and honest with Fire departments providing training classes and manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

It’s not so much about putting out a flame. Lithium-ion batteries going into a state of “thermal runaway” when they ignite.

Essentially this condition is caused by the battery heating up and the separator melting and allowing the battery to mix chemicals. Only way it can be stopped is by being cooled. Remember, lithium ion batteries are very efficient, so there is a lot of energy in them which requires more cooling.

We had 12 hybrid electric trucks made by workhorse at my building at UPS the last 5 years. They all have 3 battery shut off switches in case of a wreck or fire. One under the hood and one on each of the battery packs behind the rear axle. They were all taken out of service this year and replaced with regular gas engine trucks (Ford 7.3) if that tells you anything. Major pieces of shit.

……and the state just ordered a fleet of electric school buses.

I get the kill switches, but what is that going to do once it started to melt down?

When I worked Hurricane Ian in Florida 2 yrs ago. All the Tesla’s had to be quarantined in a separate location in the salvage yards due to spontaneous combustion.
    Also per Tesla if a wrecked or broken down car is towed to a shop it must be put into tow mode or it will also have to be quarantined for 2 weeks before any work can be completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Some of which already burned before they were even delivered....

I've thought about converting my boat batteries to lithium for the benefit of lighter weight and longer service but the fact that I park my boat under part of my house has kept me from making the change.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Some of which already burned before they were even delivered....
    Link?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Link?

I doubt that's gonna be in the news.

I'm sure the buggy whip manufacturers called the model t a waste of time, and time has proven them wrong. The tech was there to make the leap from horses to cars. More importantly the energy was there. The tech for ev simply has not caught up with need, yet. One thing that a will never happen at least using current elements is there isnt enough to convert the worlds fleet over to EV, and the elements unlike oil are in fact finite.

https://fortune.com/2023/12/22/no-on...-tesla-bmw-vw/

I love how they say "dirty combustion engines" we dont have a bias do we??? How about all those dirty kids digging lithium out of dirt and getting paid pennies.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Yup, all the effort to mine lithium and other minerals for producing batteries for these stupid vehicles is not solving the problem, it's just moving it, while making liberals feel better about themselves for "helping the environment".

Giving Americans options is one thing, forcing something down our throats is something else... and they're effectively shoving these EV's down our throats. They're forcing auto manufacturers to play ball too. I saw where Dodge just finished making their final Challenger, and Chargers are gone as well. Ford and their stupid friggin electric F-150 that can't tow anything beyond 50 miles before going dead. They how much is a new set of batteries in 5 years?

It's all garbage. A charging station powered by a diesel generator? Gimme a fucking break. It's idiocracy. And the democrats contribute to push it. That and "renewable energy".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft