Thread: Waterfowl migrations are changing

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    We should just quit shooting them to save them
    all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol. Don’t count me in …

Ducks aren't even on Lake Erie yet. LOL

Going to be interesting to see what my cousins kill on the 2 day season in MI this Sunday and Monday. Last year was unreal.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

El Niño year. Weather is too warm and stagnant in the north half of the continent for us southern states to get any substantial bird numbers

Why are there hundreds of thousands of pintails, scaup, bluewings, widgeon, gadwalls, greenwings, redheads, and shovelers in Mexico?
    Did El Niño forget about them?

The age old weather debate has been settled and proven as bullshit.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Because mallets are all that matter bo
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Why are there hundreds of thousands of pintails, scaup, bluewings, widgeon, gadwalls, greenwings, redheads, and shovelers in Mexico?

Mallards are all that matter Bo

Is it possible that some birds are going to migrate regardless and some are weather dependent or do we have to oversimplify it and choose absolutes?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I bank on photoperiod migrators for early season hunting but by now pressure has them sitting in the Gulf of Mexico, gone further South or back North. We have the worst duck counts in La in years, either they're all in Mexico, up North or they don't exist.

Why are there tens of thousands of BBWD's (and Fulvous) taking over FL, LA and hopefully here? What is one factor, that none of us can control, that has changed? I'm not a climate change conspiracy theorist, just a realist. Who settled the weather debate? How?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I'm not a climate change conspiracy theorist, just a realist.
    https://fitzlab.shinyapps.io/cityapp/

Interesting link that shows the expected climate in the next 60 years - predicted by a University of Maryland study.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

The Standard Sportsman podcast had Lee Kjos on discussing some of this. Worth the listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    A number of states have already banned robo ducks. The things work too good when used correctly. Ice eaters could be banned too. That would be a good first-step nationwide.

You will be hard pressed to convince the countrys wealthiest folks to give up their corn ponds. And you will be even more hard pressed to convince youtube enthusiasts to stop filming and sharing their hunts for kickbacks and perceived movie-stardom.

I won't get much accolades for this comment, but they probably need to illegalize "guiding" in Canada and USA. Guiding for birds is good for oosers and the economy, but terrible for ducks. Leases are probably fine, but paying a company to scout, secure permission, provide decoys , and do everything but pull the trigger should not permitted if you want to increase waterfowl numbers.

There ain't anything you can do about the weather. Suck it up. Quit hunting. Or drive farther. Those are your options for that.

P.S. please hurry up and illegaize the tamie ponds before the plague of chicken mallards move west.
    I agree with outlawing guides in Canada. Especially when they can shoot 8 damn pintails and the guides let them shoot all hens. Just ridiculous.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    https://fitzlab.shinyapps.io/cityapp/

Interesting link that shows the expected climate in the next 60 years - predicted by a University of Maryland study.
    Some of the same science that said all the glaciers would be gone by 2020?
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 01-02-2024 at 03:33 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Always an interesting topic! When I was out West we argued when rice country began to decomp over burning. All that standing water in thousands of acres decreased our migration south of them drastically. Shooting at a club 1,200 ducks a year (Mallard, Pintail, Teal, Widgeon) to Shooting 600 the next 5 years per 13 hunters.

In '98 when I saw my first goal post roto duck, I saw birds dropping into it like nothing I've seen!

There are many questions, man has a way to screw up everything he touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowlabhunter View Post
    Always an interesting topic! When I was out West we argued when rice country began to decomp over burning. All that standing water in thousands of acres decreased our migration south of them drastically. Shooting at a club 1,200 ducks a year (Mallard, Pintail, Teal, Widgeon) to Shooting 600 the next 5 years per 13 hunters.

In '98 when I saw my first goal post roto duck, I saw birds dropping into it like nothing I've seen!

There are many questions, man has a way to screw up everything he touches.
    I hear tell of two ponds killing 6,000+ ringers per season!
    Even if they are just ringers this is beyond comprehension..... I can't even fathom those numbers
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE