Thread: Question for Rifle Handloaders

Default Question for Rifle Handloaders

I put together a 6.5-280AI (280AI necked down to .264) and have been working on some hand loads. There is not a lot of data available so I’ve been cautious. Worked up to 55g of H1000 giving me 2800fps with 156 Bergers. All the fired cases are showing the same “scratch” mark which I am puzzled by. You can catch the scratch with your finger nail. I’m wondering if it’s a pressure indicator or a rough spot or burr in the brand new chamber. Also wondering if you guys think the primers look pancaked. No issues with the bolt sticking when ejecting. I’d appreciate any help.IMG_6593.jpg

The scratch is from something inside the chamber, probably a rough spot left by some chatter when reaming.

Is this a Rem 700? If so and from what I can see in the picks it looks like there are ejector pin indents on the head stamp, which is an indication of high pressure. The primers look a tad squished which would also suggest this. I would probably stop there with that powder. You probably can get a little more FPS out of another powder, but when you start doing this often times you can change the accuracy. It's a trade off I found working up loads for different rifles.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

The action is a Stiller Predator. Thanks for the help. I'll stop right there or back off a little with the H1000. Going to try some Ramshot Hunter and 143 ELD-X as well. I think you're right about there being a rough spot in the chamber; it's a little hard to push the bolt handle down when chambering a round but then if you pull up and back down on the handle it's easy. I think its putting the scratch there when closing the bolt handle. I'll talk to Pac-Nor that did the chambering. Thanks.

In the chamber. And primers look fine

Primers look ok to me also. Definitely something in the chamber leaving that mark.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Primers are good. Flattened primers are not necessarily an indication of over pressure. Flattening up primers can mean loose pockets or primer not being seated deep enough. The more is from the chamber.

You will see ejector marks on the case head when you start hitting high pressure.
    Last edited by b-stick; 12-22-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Thank you

Stiller is based on a 700 action just uses a m16 style extractor. But the ejection pin is the same.

After further inspection on a computer it is definitely ejection pin marks which indicates high pressure as I said and confirmed by others.

I still think the primers look like they are starting. They certainly aren’t pancaked but look like they are just before it starts too me. Especially the one on the far right. But would be expected if your getting high enough to dent with ejection pin.

Reamer or barrel may not have been locked down properly, or reamer was on the verge of being useless. Finish reamer couldn’t take it out.
    With out looking at it hard to say how I would fix it.

I would start with some lapping compound and work the crap out of it. It will fix your bolt not closing for sure. Use very light stuff too start with unless you are familiar with this.

Let me back up if call pac-nor first and see if they will fix it. If not being the barrel is installed I would do what I suggested.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

I opened these with a program I have. It allows me to see fine detail better. After further investigation, I will concur my original statement that they were starting may be off, but there is definitely anomaly on the head stamp due to the ejection pin.

I stand by stop, and do not go further with this powder, at least with these projectiles.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Use 6.5-06 data. The Improving your case will give you a little more capacity. With a 143 ELDX and H1000 53 gr is max in the standard 6.5-06. The Berger has a longer bearing surface. At 2800 FPS I’d say you’re at max. Sierra shows 55.9 as max With H1000 with their 150 gr SMK which is pretty similar to the Berger. If primer pockets aren’t loose and bolt lift isn’t heavy , accuracy is good and velocity isn’t erratic, I would call it good.
    Last edited by FLS; 12-22-2023 at 06:05 PM.

I know they hard to find, but if you can snag some RL-26 or RL-23 I bet you would pick up a bit of speed. Those powders have worked great in my .280 Ackley and 6.5-284. Unfortunately, they have been super scarce since the plandemic. H1000 is hard to beat for temp stability though.
    Last edited by winyah; 12-22-2023 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks for all the input. The guys at PacNor said the scratches were most likely from something in the action as the case is ejected. They see that exact marking with a lot of Model 700s and clones. They asked me to chamber a fresh round and eject it slowly, reaching in and holding the case straight as it comes out...seemed to cause no scratch. Apparently it's just a cosmetic concern if that's the cause. I'm still not 100% sure about that scratch. They said they'd be happy to pay to ship it back and inspect the chamber.
    They said to resize the brass with another 1/16-1/8 turn on the sizing die, to push the shoulder down slightly, and sure enough that solved the resistance closing the bolt handle. I'm not going to push the H1000 any further. I've had great luck with Ramshot Hunter with 280AI, so I may give that a try. The H1000 is shooting fair, like MOA, but of course want better than that. May play with the jump with the Bergers and the H1000. Thanks again.

You can get pretty inexpensive bore scopes nowadays. I've got one that connects to my phone via wifi. I've found several uses for it since I got one.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Ejector marks are normally an indication of stout pressure but the primers look fine. Sometimes you will get ejector marks with soft brass when all else is well. I have never used Peterson brass so I can’t say. I suspect that the brass scratches may come from the trip out. Carefully extract some next time and remove with your fingers. Is the scratch an “inney” or an “outie”? In other words does it have depth or does it protrude?
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.