Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey reg changes

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    So all of your land has been placed in conservation easements?
    Not all of it but a majority has been.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    How about statewide April season 2 birds?
    I’d favor that more
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    Where would one go to find what lands are in easements to be protected? Real curious to where or if any are in my area of the upstate.
    The Court House. They record the easements.

I don't think they would have a list. You probably would have to look at each property to see.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Not all of it but a majority has been.
    That is admirable.
    "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

And only one for non residents.

I’d rather them ban the use of fans then change dates and limits. You tell these heybo’s they gotta leave the fan at the house, that will cut down on the number of hunters and birds killed. It would honestly suit me fine to ban decoys all together
    Last edited by jevans; 12-19-2023 at 09:20 PM.

School me on this I’m a new Turkey hunter. Does the upper state have a better harvest rate than the lower state?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I’d rather them ban the use of fans then change dates and limits. You tell these heybo’s they gotta leave the fan at the house, that will cut down on the number of hunters and birds killed. It would honestly suit me fine to ban decoys all together
    This

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    They are making changes based on the MAJORITY, not a small insignificant amount of folks reaping and using strutter decoys. They are looking to make a difference in the turkey population, not just a feel good.
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 12-19-2023 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The Court House. They record the easements.

I don't think they would have a list. You probably would have to look at each property to see.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Thanks, CD
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I've always said, if it was solely about the resource then not having a season would benefit the most (from a harvest perspective). From the looks of things, it is inching more and more that way.
    With that said, predator control, burning practices, farmers running tractors, loss of habitat are all factors in the decline. The only genie the DNR can come close to putting back in the bottle is the harvest #s tho.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

DT, I’m ok w 2 birds, all of April. Ban decoys except if you have a youth.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    I've always said, if it was solely about the resource then not having a season would benefit the most (from a harvest perspective). From the looks of things, it is inching more and more that way.
    With that said, predator control, burning practices, farmers running tractors, loss of habitat are all factors in the decline. The only genie the DNR can come close to putting back in the bottle is the harvest #s tho.
    I think reducing harvest is a long way from eliminating the season. I hate reducing the limit or my time afield, but a change is necessary. And all of my land is in a conservation easement.
    Carolina Counsel

How about NO? Before we propose that why don’t we have everyone that supports it go on record as to why they’d oppose the recommendation of conclusive studies and public meeting input from DNR?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

If you hunted the 4 or 5 spots I’ve got you would never think the numbers are down. If you burn, trap predators, and have good food
    Plots it makes a big difference. Look at what’s going on in Kansas, where we hunt you don’t see anyone else turkey hunting for miles but plenty of big fat corn fed raccoons over every hill sitting in the dirt roads at night. Not just a few, I’ve seen 15-20 at a time. guess it’s easier on them to just blame the hunters and make it where it’s pretty much not even worth going anymore rather than doing more about the predators

I do like the season opening in April and not March, in favor of that for sure

The starting date is set as an average date of peak gobbling for the entire state.

Legislators will hear from hunters in their area, That means the low state legislators will be told the 10 of April is late. The upstate may hear it is too early.

If there is a two bird limit, does it matter much if the opening date is different?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

The starting date is set as an average date of peak gobbling for the entire state.

Legislators will hear from hunters in their area, That means the low state legislators will be told the 10 of April is late. The upstate may hear it is too early.

If there is a two bird limit, does it matter much if the opening date is different?
    FYI, you are incorrect, the proposed start date has nothing to do with peak gobbling.
    April 10 is the southwide average start of nest initiation.
    This is a prime example of why politicians should not be involved in this process!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by duckshootringer55 View Post
    If you hunted the 4 or 5 spots I’ve got you would never think the numbers are down. If you burn, trap predators, and have good food
    Plots it makes a big difference. Look at what’s going on in Kansas, where we hunt you don’t see anyone else turkey hunting for miles but plenty of big fat corn fed raccoons over every hill sitting in the dirt roads at night. Not just a few, I’ve seen 15-20 at a time. guess it’s easier on them to just blame the hunters and make it where it’s pretty much not even worth going anymore rather than doing more about the predators
    i guess that's why KS is now a lottery?
    watch out what you wish for.

i tire of the "you must trap predators and plant chufa" or you're out of the cool club.
    I'm tired of "we had turkeys in the 80s".
    "its the coyotes".
    its strutter decoys.

anecdotally, those things aren't "true" to me.

everyone seems to have the magic bullet and repeat it ad nauseum till dead.

might want to listen to DT since he holds the cards. I'd like an april season and i will not kill more than 2.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Different dates do matter. For instance, if opening day is well after gobblers are still gobbling, some folks might not even fill their two bird limit.