Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCHSL Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    Would changes have been made this year if those schools had not begun doing that?
    I dont know but I do know that some schools had been petitioning to get moved up prior to this past few years and were denied.

at the end of the damn day, its kids in school wanting to play sports and have fun.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post

at the end of the damn day, its kids in school wanting to play sports and have fun.
    The number of dad’s shopping their kids around to coaches says different. There’s a kid in our district that has been at 6 schools looking for a starting job.

And don’t get me started on coaches calling and DMing parents/kids. I had a Varsity coach try to recruit 2 of mine in the handshake line after the game.

Adults ruin everything.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Jozie, what district are you in? Don't care about school.

Like adults cancelling games because of “safety”? What did your kids think about that? Were they scared to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    The number of dad’s shopping their kids around to coaches says different. There’s a kid in our district that has been at 6 schools looking for a starting job.

And don’t get me started on coaches calling and DMing parents/kids. I had a Varsity coach try to recruit 2 of mine in the handshake line after the game.

Adults ruin everything.

This man speaks the truth

This is one reason I really admire TL Hanna HC Jason Tone, he runs Wing T like no other . TLH has always been loaded with skill position players and you will see lot of them transfer because “according to their parents” the Wing T “does not enhance THEIR KIDS talents for his future “(as one parent told me ) . BUT the proof is in the pudding, Coach Tone and TLH stick with what he does and pretty much demolish most teams year and year out and those kids that I see transfer out were NEVER D1 talent to start with and never flourish . I recall last time the Anderson County Jamboree was at Westside and I had to announce all the games , if memory serves me correctly 4 of the 8 county schools had QB’s that were in TLH program. My guess is programs like this are a dying thing in HS sports

Kind of like Crescent Softball, 37 Region Championships in a row and it is ALWAYS with HOMEGROWN GIRLS that are born and raised there

I blame it all on ESPN
    Last edited by tprice; 12-21-2023 at 08:25 AM.

the really shitty move was when the schools that were going to forfeit would wait until the afternoon of the match/game to call it off and they already had a replacement lined up. Hell, they already had the replacement team listed on their sports website BUT waited until the end to call the forfeit.

So our kids had to be prepared along with parents etc for nothing. and not a damned thing was done about it. what a great example to the kids.

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE TO LEAD OUR CHILDREN. YOU GET WHAT YOU ASK FOR BY LEADING WITH QUITTERS AND LIARS. CONGRATS

idiots
    Last edited by GBelly; 12-21-2023 at 08:27 AM.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

perspective

if your typical high school kid with no size and very little real football talent had to play a team packed with bigger faster stronger bodies, you would change your tune a tad. not a reversal just a little.... safety is an issue albeit just a small one to me.

same thing happened at hammond. I saw it coming. I wish my kids could've played a more substantial role in their own high school without all the "recruits."

Grey is a sports school (by stereotype). its hard to compete if you're just a school of kids from a zip code or district.

quitting is a bad example, I totally agree. this should've been worked out before the schedule came out but, truthfully, football has become a more dangerous sport than ever. the safety issue is a more convenient cop out.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Look again at the list of championships won in 1A and 2A over the last two and a half years. What other option did these schools have? They have been trying to plead their cases the right way with no changes being made. Schools did what they had to to protect their own students and athletes. 35 state championships have been won in 1A and 2A in the last 28 months by four private schools not being held to attendance zones. This doesn’t even count the charter school championships. A bunch of small town kids doing things the right way have lost out on being able to advance in playoffs and then play in and win state championships because of what has been going on. When every team in your region forfeits, maybe it is a sign that something wrong is truly going on.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 12-21-2023 at 04:34 PM.

Damn yalls upstate football parents sound about as bad as the travel baseball parents down here.

That’s all the tweener schools refusing to play. Upstate schools just show up and play whoever is on their schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Like adults cancelling games because of “safety”? What did your kids think about that? Were they scared to play?
    We didn’t cancel anything. we took our asskickings this year. 18 sophomores, 3 Juniors, and 1 senior on first 22 roster isn’t a recipe for 5A wins. But the future is bright.

We’ve only seen Grey once in 7 on 7. My 10th grader walked down the field and scored on them in 6 plays in his only series in that game.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Jozie, what district are you in? Don't care about school.
    5A - 1

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    the really shitty move was when the schools that were going to forfeit would wait until the afternoon of the match/game to call it off and they already had a replacement lined up. Hell, they already had the replacement team listed on their sports website BUT waited until the end to call the forfeit.

So our kids had to be prepared along with parents etc for nothing. and not a damned thing was done about it. what a great example to the kids.

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE TO LEAD OUR CHILDREN. YOU GET WHAT YOU ASK FOR BY LEADING WITH QUITTERS AND LIARS. CONGRATS

idiots
    Only going to say this, PLAY BY SAME RULES as everyone else

Private schools should play each other

Most games look more like a true HS team playing church league team in basketball

However all blame in this entire situation for both sides of the coin falls on SCHSL for sticking their heads under the rug and not wanting to address it

the only thing worse than the SCHSL would be a committee of legislative appointees.

https://scdailygazette.com/2023/11/3...Uc6iOXtGVwRVRh

COLUMBIA — After studying for months how to level the high school playing field, a House GOP leader believes the answer is to ditch the South Carolina High School League and create a new board to govern student athletics.

Calls to change the classifications of high school sports teams have ramped up for years following the rise of athletics-focused charter schools that can attract students from anywhere in the state. Coaches, students, parents and principals of traditional high schools say it’s unfair to pit their small teams against schools where students spend half their day training and practicing.

Among other things, the proposal considered Thursday by a House study panel would create a new governing board made up largely of legislators’ appointees. It would consider how well a team performs against other schools in its bracket, along with geography and student population, in deciding whether to bump the school up a level.

In South Carolina, high school sports consist of five brackets, with 1A made up of the state’s smallest schools by student population and 5A consisting of the largest.

“If you are trouncing your opponents with double-digit scores in baseball games or soccer and they’re not scoring anything, or you’re winning all your playoff games and your championships at a lower level and it’s consistent at a two-year pace, that’s a competitive advantage,” said House Education Chairwoman Shannon Erickson, a Beaufort Republican leading the charge for the new approach.

Two weeks ago, the South Carolina High School League’s executive committee, made up of representatives of member schools, adopted what’s known as a multiplier for all students outside a school’s normal attendance boundaries. Under the new multiplier rule, every student outside that boundary, whether they play sports or not, would count as three students when it comes to classifying the school.

By triple-counting students who live outside the lines of the local school, the decision would bump those athletic charter schools into higher brackets. While written for them, the rule doesn’t just apply to charter schools. It would do the same to any school with students outside its boundaries, which would mean private schools too that are part of the league.

That creates the potential for smaller schools to be pushed up a bracket because of out-of-district attendance, just perpetuating the problem of unfairness, Erickson argued.

“They’ve just flipped the scale,” Erickson said. “It’s really kind of mind-blowing, that you would go from one bad scenario to another bad scenario.”

The South Carolina High School League is an independent, dues-paying organization that sets and oversees the competition rules for participating middle and high schools.

A spokesperson for the league did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Executive committee members at the meeting declined to comment because they had not yet read the proposal.

What else is proposed?
    Other changes in the proposal include allowing student athletes to transfer schools only once in middle school and once in high school while continuing to play a sport, to deter teams recruiting athletes from one another. Another complaint against the athletic charters has been that they draw students from the state’s largest high school schools. A bill with similar requirements passed through the House last year and is awaiting a hearing in the Senate.

Private school students would also be allowed to try out for public school teams if they can’t muster enough players for a team of their own, a process already allowed for homeschooled students.

Overseeing the decisions would be the new, 11-member board. Beyond legislative leaders, the state superintendent of education and governor could also name their picks.

Erickson contends that would provide increased scrutiny from the state, including financial audits and more oversight.

It remains to be seen whether Erickson can gather the support needed to turn the proposal into law. Legislators have long threatened to eliminate the High School League but never followed through.

“I think it’s about time for us to look at this process so we can make it better,” said Rep. Terry Alexander, D-Florence.

That’s on the backs of all those crying foul and forfeiting games. Good job.

where do all those legislators’ kids go to school? they don’t go to East Fork Consolidated with Jerry Clower and the Ledbetter boys. This upsets their applecart. They won’t be able to crow at cocktail parties how little Jrs school just bought another 1A state ring.

Their fault for crying foul when it was foul? What should they have done? Look at the list I posted again and explain to us what these smaller schools should have done.

Crying foul is one thing, refusing to play the games is something entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Crying foul is one thing, refusing to play the games is something entirely different.
    No one was doing anything until it made the newspaper that teams were forfeiting. My girls run xc and distance events in 5A. We see almost every school in the state. 2-3 yr old charter or magnet schools dominate the small town schools in 1a-2a. Many of the charter athletes that transferred were average in 4a-5a level. It is way bigger issue than just football.
    Last edited by jwmetz; 12-24-2023 at 08:12 AM.

I fully understand that and agree it’s a problem. What I don’t know is why y’all can’t grasp that my only issue is with the forfeits. And replacing that school with another, but not telling that school you’re going to forfeit until right before the scheduled event…….FTS.

Well, now it looks like you’re gonna get the legislature involved, congratulations as we all know how that’s going to work out.