Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCHSL Realignment

The SCHSL needs to be completely revamped. It has ZERO leadership.
    We live in an age that has no sense of community and youth sports is a big driver of that. All in the name of the Dollar.
    I had a well respected coach say to me 15 years ago that all HS athletics will move to "club" level within 25 yrs. Those words ring more true every time the SCHSL makes a "decision".
    Its already trickled down to "rec" sports. We run the youth Baseball and Softball program in our community. Trying to balance the "competitive" side of things along the "rec" side just to build a program that feeds our high school is challenging to say the least. The biggest contributor to that challenge is the county, who basically wants to be a facility provider. Thats not a big deal in itself except for the fact they prioritize outside money vs the money that already comes from the community.
    I believe that if the SCHSL would get its stuff in order, it would help all the way around.
    If a kid can play, "they" will find you. No matter where you are.
    Community should be prioritized IMO

Jeez Bishop England moving from 2A to 4A. They only won one game I think this year. No chance in 4A. 1099 students doesn’t seem right either. It was always around 800 or so when I was there in the early-mid 2000’s.

It’s not all about football. Bishop England just won girls and boys volleyball state championships. They have championships in other smaller sports as well.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Jeez Bishop England moving from 2A to 4A. They only won one game I think this year. No chance in 4A. 1099 students doesn’t seem right either. It was always around 800 or so when I was there in the early-mid 2000’s.
    Multiplier rule this year, any kid not in you zone counts as 3 regardless of sports or not is my understanding
    Last edited by tprice; 12-20-2023 at 07:44 PM.

How do they determine the zone for a private school? There are catholic feeder elementary/middle schools in pretty much ever suburb of Charleston. Is it just non Catholics that go toward the multiplier or kids not from feeder schools? I’m with you, private schools just need their own division.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    How do they determine the zone for a private school? There are catholic feeder elementary/middle schools in pretty much ever suburb of Charleston. Is it just non Catholics that go toward the multiplier or kids not from feeder schools? I’m with you, private schools just need their own division.
    not sure if they have one, therefore every student counts 3.

Grey is counted as 1200-1300 students. that would be 400+ in 9-11 grades. is that accurate?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Just talked to an old coach of mine. He says actual enrollment at bishop England is 750. Basically if you don’t live on Daniel island they are counting you in the multiplier. All kids coming from catholic feeder schools are also included in the multiplier which seems like BS. He said they plan to appeal it. Closest competitor would be colleton county in Walterboro which is an hour and a half away.

They are in same attendance zone as Philip Simmons I think. Tell them to join SCISA like other private schools.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    They are in same attendance zone as Philip Simmons I think. Tell them to join SCISA like other private schools.
    Yea but they’ve been in the high school league forever. My dad said they were 3A back in the mid 70’s when he was there. 4A just seems a bit much.

See pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Traditional 1A and 2A schools have not had a chance over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    See pics.
    And there you have it.

I agree with the multiplier, but I’d much rather prefer a separate classification when playoff time rolls around, BUT…..it’s an absolute bitch move to forfeit regular season games against those schools instead of playing the games/matches.

Bitch move is setting these schools up and then limiting enrollment, so you can continue to whip up on small 1A and 2A schools. I don’t blame the schools at all for forfeiting games to them. Complaints and arguments were made and nothing changed. They had to do something else to get things to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I agree with the multiplier, but I’d much rather prefer a separate classification when playoff time rolls around, BUT…..it’s an absolute bitch move to forfeit regular season games against those schools instead of playing the games/matches.
    Maybe it’s a bitch move to open a school for the express purpose of recruiting for athletics and then want to stay 1-2A to pad stats and crow about multiple state championships.

When an average 1-2A school lines up against a Grey or Oceanside it can become a safety issue. Grey hung 49 on the eventual 1A state champs, also a recruiting private school.

I have no problem with recruiting disguised as school choice, but level the playing field. Charter/private schools can recruit my players but i cannot recruit theirs.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 12-20-2023 at 08:13 PM.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

It’s a bitch move to forfeit regular season games, period.

Is it a safety issue to forfeit a golf match? Tennis match? Baseball? Softball? Soccer? Basketball? Volleyball? Track?

Again, I have no problem with them being bumped up with the multiplier and would rather they have their own division for playoffs like the Big 16 used to be, but to refuse to play them? FTS, that’s only punishing your own kids for an adult’s gratification.

Is it a safety issue to forfeit a golf match? Tennis match? Baseball? Softball? Soccer? Basketball? Volleyball? Track?
    oh, i was talking sports, no idea why they canceled PE class.

kidding. I guess it was principle. It worked. The multiplier wouldn’t be here without that protest.

FTS, that’s only punishing your own kids for an adult’s gratification.
    Might be the most ironic sentence in this thread.

Again, I have no problem with them being bumped up with the multiplier and would rather they have their own division for playoffs like the Big 16 used to be, but to refuse to play them? FTS, that’s only punishing your own kids for an adult’s gratification.
    right on

Gray didnt rise from the earth a power house. Its a very young school. They had already tried to get bumped up to 3A multiple times and were denied due to size. So they were kept at 2A and punished by forfeits.

and yes, all the other sports matter.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Gray took their football team on the road and went to DC, Florida twice and had a Georgia school come to town to fill the gaps from the quitters in their region. AND got lost all the out of state fill in games. Doesnt appear any padding was going to me.

There were players needing time on the field and film for colleges to review.

Safety issue my ass....
    Last edited by GBelly; 12-21-2023 at 07:41 AM.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Would changes have been made this year if those schools had not begun doing that?