Thread: Fishfinder/GPS Recommendations

Default Fishfinder/GPS Recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for relatively inexpensive fishfinder/gps combos. I would love to have sidescan, but that isnt a must. I have been looking at the Garmin striker series and I need a 5-7" screen. I really cant go any bigger due to space on the console.

7 in screen if you can't go bigger

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    7 in screen if you can't go bigger

Go for max screen size?

Quote Originally Posted by WatereesWatson View Post
    Go for max screen size?
    Yes. A 9 or 10 would be better.

A 5in is way too small.

If my memory serves me right the Garmin striker does not have a traditional "GPS MAP" function. Only the ability to plot a line or hotspot in real time so that you can drift back over it. It will not show you the navigational points or depths/contours.

If you truly need a map function for coastal waters or different lakes the Simrad Cruise or Lowrance Hook series will fit the bill around the $500 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    If my memory serves me right the Garmin striker does not have a traditional "GPS MAP" function. Only the ability to plot a line or hotspot in real time so that you can drift back over it. It will not show you the navigational points or depths/contours.

If you truly need a map function for coastal waters or different lakes the Simrad Cruise or Lowrance Hook series will fit the bill around the $500 mark.
    Yes that is one of the main downsides. It will scan and create 1 foot contours, but has no way to put in a map chip. Ill check out the Simrad. I was mostly just looking for something pretty inexpensive but having the mapping capability would never be a downside, but I might just need to save a little longer (which is fine).

They make a Lowrance Hook that will accept a micro SD card.. Don't buy any unit that won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    They make a Lowrance Hook that will accept a micro SD card.. Don't buy any unit that won't.

Thanks for the tips. The Simrad unit looks really nice and they make it in a 7 inch as well. Ill check out some Hook options.

Check FB market place... Folks around charleston seem to upgrade to the newest thing out once it hits the market, same with the bass boat guys. You can usually pick up a 1-2 year old unit for a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Check FB market place... Folks around charleston seem to upgrade to the newest thing out once it hits the market, same with the bass boat guys. You can usually pick up a 1-2 year old unit for a steal.
    yep Ive got several saved, but kept seeing options. I hadnt considered the SIMRAD systems but will now include them in my search. I like the controls. I had previously only been looking for Garmin systems.

Quote Originally Posted by WatereesWatson View Post
    Thanks for the tips. The Simrad unit looks really nice and they make it in a 7 inch as well. Ill check out some Hook options.
    I'm not a fan of the Hook Series from Lowrance.