Thread: PM Gear oil

Default PM Gear oil

Just out of curiosity…. How important is it to change out differential gear oil?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

If it gets water in it and loses viscosity, pretty important...

Why not change it? It's super easy to do. Unless you got a frozen drain plug.

Always open the fill plug before you open the drain plug.

Well the newer model trucks…. Some do not have a drain plug so the entire cover needs to be removed to drain the fluid and I am assuming it’s better to just replace the gasket instead of reuse. Yeah wouldn’t be hard…. The transmission fluid needs to be changed and filter needs to be changed so figured why I was at it replace it.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Go for it. There will be a magnet inside the cover. It will have fine shavings on it, that's normal. Chunks of metal means something is wrong.

But again, open the fill plug before you do anything. You don't want to drain oil from something then find out you can't fill it back up.

Like any fluid, it is exposed to heat and oxidation. It breaks down over time and accumulates metallic wear. It’s good practice to change all fluids at some interval.

I change all my diffs every 30k and trans every 60k.I have a 13 f150 that has 360k on the dash and I haven’t had any problems with it yet.

Don’t forget transfer case if 4x4.

If you launch boats where you may have to dunk rear axle you can also extend your diff vent to help it not take in water.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

AMSOIL Severe Gear is the way to go when you do it.

So far rear diff no leaks lol. Front next gasket came in torn… transfer case changed tonight. Getting the legend to change the transmission fluid and filter.