Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School me on waders

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Are you hunting in a pit in a ricefield? Or in timber?
    We are hunting flooded rice field pits. I have had 2-3 pairs of Lacross neoprene and 2 pair of the cabelas. I do like the idea of the zip out lining that way i can use them in the spring and fall working around the creek on the farm without burning slap up.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 12-08-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    We are hunting flooded rice field pits. I have had 2-3 pairs of Lacross neoprene and 2 pair of the cabelas. I do like the idea of the zip out lining that way i can use them in the spring and fall working around the creek on the farm with burning slap up.
    You could also looking into hip boots. That may work out for you better in the long run.

But, if you’re after waders specifically, I agree with everyone else, Rogers breathables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Thanks guys. Just happened to look at Amazon for the Frog Toggs and they had the Grand Refuge 3.0 with removable liner for $100 off in my size so i ordered those. Preciate all the replies.

And no one has mentioned Chene yet.

There wasn’t a chance in you know where of my spending $1000 on a pair of waders.

I’m on my first year ditching the cabelas 5mm neoprenes for the Rogers breathables. So far I’m a fan. I just wish the buckles sat lower on my shoulders for shouldering the gun

Another vote for the Roger’s breathables with liner
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Had several different pairs and several others that I know of.

If you can go with a set of breathable waders. Get some insulation in the boots and liner that with zip in and out. Make sure the pocket is lined and DO NOT get any waders made by banded.
    Frogg Tog has been good to me and others I know that get them. Rodger’s as well has been good.

If it was me I would be a set of frogg togs or Rodger’s breathable. Unless you just have the income to get a pair of Chen or Sitka. Get a set that the liner can be removed and the pocket is lined.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Had several different pairs and several others that I know of.

If you can go with a set of breathable waders. Get some insulation in the boots and liner that with zip in and out. Make sure the pocket is lined and DO NOT get any waders made by banded.
    Frogg Tog has been good to me and others I know that get them. Rodger’s as well has been good.

If it was me I would be a set of frogg togs or Rodger’s breathable. Unless you just have the income to get a pair of Chen or Sitka. Get a set that the liner can be removed and the pocket is lined.
    I ordered a pair of the Frog Togg Grand Refuge 3.0 with the removeable liner a couple hours ago.

I think I'm on season 4 of the Frogg Togg Refuge model (I think) breathable. I hate Walmart but I caught em on sale for a tick over $100. Like others have said liner zips out. I like em. Teal season and warm days, remove the liner. Been hunting in temps down to the teens and have been comfortable with one pair of heavy merino wool socks on. I think they have 1000g thinsulate in the boot. My favorite pant on those cold mornings to wear under them is the Sitka Gradient pant, but if it's not cold I can wear em or I'll get too sweaty.

I too was skeptical. Don't think I'm going back to neoprene. I can swim even with em on if I step off a ledge.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-09-2023 at 09:54 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

You only need them once, just go to academy and buy a pair. You’ll be able to try them on and make sure they fit. Never owned a pair of academy waders but I bet they’ll be $200 or less. Breathables are better than neoprene, but it doesn’t really matter if you’re only using them a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Think of it this way...waders are disposable. A broken and submerged oak limb don't care where you got your waders or how much you spent.

Thick fleece is the best liner even in warmer weather because it keeps condensation to a minimum.

You need to try some thin merino …. Thick fleece on a warm day sounds miserable and sweaty.

“Thick Fleece” would be a good name for a rapper.

Dangit Glenn that just made me laugh outloud in the deer stand.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Dangit Glenn that just made me laugh outloud in the deer stand.
    You really want a chuckle, go up two post and read the last line of HH12’s post like your rapping it gangsta style.

Lulz

I have a pair of Banded Breathables that are going on 9 years old now. They’ve been left outside for extended periods, etc. Basically abused. Do they leak? Yeah, they leak, but they make this shit to stop from happening and so fucking what if I get a little wet? I’ve basically quit duck hunting anyway so it doesn’t really matter, but I’ve never hated the Banded waders.

I know this is late but an option no one mentioned are the High N Dry waders. I have a breathable pair (without zipper) going on season 3 or 4, I can't remember. When these fail and I can't repair them I'll buy another pair. The one thing I'd change is to add the same kevlar from the knee protection to the seat.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I have a pair of Banded Breathables that are going on 9 years old now. They’ve been left outside for extended periods, etc. Basically abused. Do they leak? Yeah, they leak, but they make this shit to stop from happening and so fucking what if I get a little wet? I’ve basically quit duck hunting anyway so it doesn’t really matter, but I’ve never hated the Banded waders.
    Poor fella, this is what Banded has done to people. “They’re waders, they’re supposed to leak”.

Cold, wet, and miserable is no way to go through life boys….. #chenedeep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

That’s why you keep a roll of big black trash bags in the door of the truck…
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I've had banded for four years no problem. Them boyz buying them twelve hundred dolla waders will be fucked as well eventually. They just get a little more time.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.