Thread: Wofford loses the Panthers

Default Wofford loses the Panthers

Didn't the State of SC give Tepper a pile of cash for, well, nothing?

CHARLOTTE, N.C. —
    The Carolina Panthers training camp will now be held in Charlotte.

The announcement was made on Wednesday.

The Panthers had held training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg County since 1995.

"We're excited to hold training camp at our facility in Charlotte," said Kristi Coleman, President of the Carolina Panthers. "We appreciate Wofford and the Spartanburg community for their hospitality over the years. We are dedicated to the fans in South Carolina, and we will continue to bring fan and community events to the state."

Only six teams, including the Panthers, conducted training camp away from their facilities last season. The Panthers held training camp at Bank of America Stadium and the adjacent practice fields in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic. Otherwise, camp has been held at Wofford College in Spartanburg.

The team says it is still working through logistics and how best to accommodate fans during camp. Details will be shared as plans are finalized. The Panthers plan to kick off the season with Fan Fest in South Carolina and will hold Back Together Football in Charlotte.

Also, as part of a larger effort to upgrade the team's practice and training facilities, the team will remove the Atrium Health Dome at the end of the regular season in January to begin work on the new practice fields.

At present, the Panthers have one full outdoor field and about three-fourths of another, which is used for walk-throughs or individual work.

The changes will offer the ability to have three full-length practice fields. The layout will provide more space to practice and the opportunity to rotate fields to minimize wear and tear. The fields will be ready in time for training camp.

"Removal of the Dome is the start of an ongoing process to upgrade the team's facilities," said Caroline Wright, the senior vice president and chief venues officer at Tepper Sports & Entertainment. "Future changes and enhancements include modifications to the fields with the goal of constructing a field house for football operations and community opportunities. In the interim, the team will be exploring options to hold practices indoors, should the need arise."

The current plan is to donate the Dome, and those discussions are ongoing.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/panthe...lotte/46053788

In middle school, high school, and my freshman summer of college I worked for the grounds crew at Wofford. I ate like a king when the Panthers were in town, their buffets were awesome. Thirsty while working? No big deal, they had big drums filled with gatorade everywhere you turned. It was awesome as a kid.

Growing up on Wofford's campus I remember the first year they came. I was 7 or 8, since I lived on campus and all of the staff at Wofford knew who I was, I could hang out and get autographs when they were coming from eating, no other competition from other kids since it was a 'restricted area'. One of their players stole our cat that year too ... Ignore me, just a walk down memory lane.

Sounds like you lucked out with the cat theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Well. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Sounds like you lucked out with the cat theft.
    You really don't see that many asian football players.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I hate the Panthers. But this stinks. I was a freshman at Wofford in year 2 of the franchise. I like HHagan worked the camp in the summers. Ate well, got plenty of swag, hung out with all the players. Got stories for days. Some I can tell, some I can't. Jerry Richardson was a good man, and was good to Charlotte, Spartanburg, and in particular, Wofford.

Tepper has run that franchise into the ground. Where he holds Training Camp might not be a reason they miss the playoffs, but it's sad and the end of an era.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 12-06-2023 at 04:34 PM.

Can we go ahead and rename them the Charlotte Panthers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Can we go ahead and rename them the Charlotte Panthers yet?
    Wonder if they will even stay in Carolina’s ??

Not a Panther fan nor disliker of them but really sucks for all those in that area and the excitement it would bring

Just SUPPORT your Local HS teams, most of these kids will spend their lifetime’s in their area

I’ve never really been a Panthers fan but it was cool for Spartanburg. My guess is Wofford football doesn’t really mind not sharing their facilities anymore but it was good for the community. Tepper couldn’t care less about the state of SC and I absolutely couldn’t care less about the Panthers. Hope they continue their tradition of sucking.

What you said 1000000000000000XXXXXXXXX Tepper is a left wing Dem
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"