Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Bog recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Personally and scientifically it does not
    Well I have cooked a ton of it both ways and if the is a difference, it’s negligible and not path the picking IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I smoke chicken thighs (family pack) and boil chicken breast (4/5 breast) for both the broth and mixing the white and dark meat. I put the cut sausage in the chicken breast pot while boiling for flavor. Season the chicken on the smoker with your favorite rub (I use more of a Cajun/rotisserie chicken rub) and make sure to season the same in the boiling pot. Cook down the holy trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery with leaves too) in a big fry pan with olive oil/bacon grease and set aside. I use 1 stalk of celery, 2 onion and 2 bell pepper. Make sure to salt/pepper/garlic powder your trinity. Fry up some bacon about medium/medium well for mixing in (1lb/2lb) depending on how much you make, pat grease off and chop into bite site chunks. Put that aside. Cut your sausage (been using Holmes smokehouse pecan) into slices and set aside (1lb/2lb). Chop and shred your chicken once out the smoker and pot into another bowl. I use a blender to shred some of the chicken, which makes it real easy, but be careful not to do it too long. Chop the rest. The goal is some shredded fine chicken and other nice chunks of chicken. Set that aside. Figure your rice and water (chicken broth you boiled in). I use about 4 cups of rice most of the time depending on how many you cook for and double the juice. Mix all that together (trinity, chicken, sausage, rice, bacon, juice) into a big pot if doing stove top or if putting in pan and baking use oven at 400 for about an hour 15 or little longer (until rice is tender). Serve that with texas pete and cold beer.
    "run and gun guide service"

Coming here talking bad about his then asking for a recipe. You might as well buy a rotisserie chicken, pick off bone, and throw rice in. If picking chicken is too hard buy the canned chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    I smoke chicken thighs (family pack) and boil chicken breast (4/5 breast) for both the broth and mixing the white and dark meat. I put the cut sausage in the chicken breast pot while boiling for flavor. Season the chicken on the smoker with your favorite rub (I use more of a Cajun/rotisserie chicken rub) and make sure to season the same in the boiling pot. Cook down the holy trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery with leaves too) in a big fry pan with olive oil/bacon grease and set aside. I use 1 stalk of celery, 2 onion and 2 bell pepper. Make sure to salt/pepper/garlic powder your trinity. Fry up some bacon about medium/medium well for mixing in (1lb/2lb) depending on how much you make, pat grease off and chop into bite site chunks. Put that aside. Cut your sausage (been using Holmes smokehouse pecan) into slices and set aside (1lb/2lb). Chop and shred your chicken once out the smoker and pot into another bowl. I use a blender to shred some of the chicken, which makes it real easy, but be careful not to do it too long. Chop the rest. The goal is some shredded fine chicken and other nice chunks of chicken. Set that aside. Figure your rice and water (chicken broth you boiled in). I use about 4 cups of rice most of the time depending on how many you cook for and double the juice. Mix all that together (trinity, chicken, sausage, rice, bacon, juice) into a big pot if doing stove top or if putting in pan and baking use oven at 400 for about an hour 15 or little longer (until rice is tender). Serve that with texas pete and cold beer.

I like the Smoke idea. would add some "depth" to the seasoning and taste.

Thanks
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

That dish needs a different name. Chicken Bog has already been taken and that ain't it.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

blender shredded chicken? Celery? Bellpepper? None of that belongs in my opinion.

I do like the smoked chicken idea though..

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    blender shredded chicken? Celery? Bellpepper? None of that belongs in my opinion.

I do like the smoked chicken idea though..
    You are correct. Chicken bawg is not a damn vegetable soup. You want vegetable in something make a damn vegetable soup, a bawg is not to be disrespected in that way.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Duracraft View Post
    Dice onion and bell pepper – Sauté in pot

Once cooked add 1 package of breakfast sausage – Hot preferred

Once breakfast sausage is cooked add two to three sticks of Kielbasa sausage
    I vary the slices. Cutting at a diagonal assures more sausage for all
    Continue to sauté

Debone a rotisserie chicken (Cut into pieces – It tends to fall apart) and add to pot
    You could boil a chicken for broth and chicken

Add some seasoning salt and pepper (I use Tony Chachere’s)

I then just let that cook a while and stir to get all the flavors going (10 – 15 minutes)

Next add chicken broth. The amount depends on the amount of rice you want
    Typically 8-10 servings (Use directions on rice bag; A little more than 2/1)

Bring the broth to a boil and add the rice (Uncle Ben’s Parboiled Rice; No Exceptions)

Cover and simmer for amount of time on rice bag.
    Yankee

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    if not in a hurry Whole chickens or leg quarters picked after boiling. save the stock.
    if in a hurry, like tailgating, I use 3 lb packs of shredded rotisserie chicken from Costco and boxed chicken stock.
    diced onion. I use Sweet Yellow, but i use Sweet yellow in everything. boiled with the chicken.
    one-two packs of sausage/kielbasa boiled with the chicken.
    Salt and Pepper to taste.
    butter to taste. one stick per gallon of water ~ish

After pickin the chicken, I dice another onion, because i like onion. and the other onion dissolved in the stock.
    one can of cream of celery soup ( if you dont like it, dont eat it) it gives a hint of celery and it gums up the "bog." if you want your rice flakey, leave this out.

put appropriate amount of Mahatma rice to get 2-1 ratio to stock.

Turn down the heat and let the rice cook. If cooking in my cast iron pot, i turn it off and just bump it every now and then if it cools too much. Stir only enough to keep the rice from scorching the bottom.

Have Hot sauce, spicy sweet pickles and LIGHT BREAD. one of my sons will make a chicken bog sandwich.
    Another damn Yankee…

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    chicken stock
    rice
    chicken
    polish kielbasa
    onion celery
    s and p
    cook
    yankee

Damn Yankee

I would say wait for HS to chime in but his taste is probably too elegant for chicken bog.

Jasmine rice is the only white rice for me. That's all I have to offer.

When you think you've put in enough sausage, put some more in.

Same for the chicken.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Jasmine rice is the only white rice for me. That's all I have to offer.
    Foreigner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Yankee
    Far from it.

Additionally, the bog should be cooked until the rice splits to make it a true “bog”

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Additionally, the bog should be cooked until the rice splits to make it a true “bog”

This. I'm a pileau guy myself.

Was just having a sidebar conversation with a couple fellas on here..."bog" is mushy/gooey. Pileau is what most non O-rheee county folks make.

Call me what you like , but I prefer Jambalaya to any Bog.. mostly cuz I like Cajuns more than Myrtle Beach folks.........
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.