Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New WMA opportunities

Default New WMA opportunities

Below is a summary of the proposed changes:

Bobwhite Hills WMA – Add archery deer hunts, quail hunts, small game hunts, and still hunts for deer;

Coosawhatchie WMA – Add archery deer hunts, dove hunts, quail hunts, small game hunts, and still hunts for deer;

Ramsey Grove WMA – Add still hunts for deer; Category I Designated Waterfowl Area ; Grove WMA waterfowl hunts are designated as youth or mobility impaired only.

Santee Island WMA – Add still hunts for hogs;

Category II Designated Waterfowl Area – Add Coosawhatchie WMA, Francis Marion National Forest, and Santee Island WMA;
    Waterfowl hunting will be permitted Monday – Saturday on Francis Marion National Forest, Wednesday – Saturday mornings on Coosawhatchie WMA, and Monday – Saturday on Santee Island WMA
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

We need less places to hunt ducks not more/ cannot wrap my head around the amount of people duck hunting these days. Guns were blaring on the river this morning. Guess some folks didn’t realize the season is out.

Ramsey Grove has been a well managed source of habitat in the region for years. The state ended up with the property when SCANA was sold.

PRT became the custodian and had no interest in the impoundments. They were going to make the whole place a campground. Several of us fought hard to continue the management of the impoundments. We forged out a memorandum of understanding allowing DNR to manage the hunting and PRT to create a campground..

The previous waterfowl manager was made a consultant to DNR. He gave a written plan and advice to DNR who did a great job with the first year of management. I secured $500k recurring funds to help. I visited the site and saw the success of their hard work.

The same hunting methods will be followed as they were in previous years. Ramsey is primarily a roost. For years it has been hunted from the dikes. By quietly slipping into specific locations on the intricate dike system, hunters have taken advantage of shooting the flush. People with disabilities will have a unique opportunity. Youth can be introduced to duck hunting.

The site will continue to provide a roost with excellent food while the occasional hunting will disperse birds to benefit the region.

Bitesize, we all share your frustration. I will continue to work for conservation, preservation, and management for the benefit of waterfowl and the sportsman the only way I know how.

Don’t mind it but what would it take for states to start pushing feds for a 3 bird, 30 day season? If we don’t slow things down, my kids won’t get to hunt ducks. The pimping of the resource is unreal. Good job working on Ramsey, the area needs it.
    Last edited by ceddy; 11-26-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Bitesize, we all share your frustration. I will continue to work for conservation, preservation, and management for the benefit of waterfowl and the sportsman the only way I know how.
    And your efforts are appreciated- I have no problem with more/new hunters. I just get tired of the lack of respect for others, traditions, etc.

Seeing dipshits shooting at mergansers and shorebirds in a $40k mud boat just rubs me wrong I guess.

Bobwhite Hills WMA – Add archery deer hunts, quail hunts, small game hunts, and still hunts for deer;

Coosawhatchie WMA – Add archery deer hunts, dove hunts, quail hunts, small game hunts, and still hunts for deer;

Ramsey Grove WMA – Add still hunts for deer; Category I Designated Waterfowl Area ; Grove WMA waterfowl hunts are designated as youth or mobility impaired only.

Category II Designated Waterfowl Area – Add Coosawhatchie WMA, Francis Marion National Forest, and Santee Island WMA;
    Waterfowl hunting will be permitted Monday – Saturday on Francis Marion National Forest, Wednesday – Saturday mornings on Coosawhatchie WMA, and Monday – Saturday on Santee Island WMA
    Where will the management responsibility fall for Bobwhite Hills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

What’s the word on the deer hunts at Ramsey grove? Draw hunt or just a set season? Bow or rifle?
    More Ducks, Less People

Also will the santee island hog hunts be archery only or will rifles be allowed during the hog only hunts?
    More Ducks, Less People

Sorry I don 't have the specifics at each location. Was told Deer hunting at Ramsey is lottery.

Management of all WMAs is DNR.

More places for youth waterfowl hunts is a great thing!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Further shame on those greedy godless scumbags that ran SCANA into the the ground, leaving South Carolinians at the mercy of what is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Further shame on those greedy godless scumbags that ran SCANA into the the ground, leaving South Carolinians at the mercy of what is coming...
    X100000 Them fukers were worse than the left dems. They still among us also as you well know!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

SC along with a lot of other states in the south had better figure out how to manage development and conserve the natural resources. Population boom over the next 10-20 years will drastically affect everyone of us. No way to stop it completely because you can literally incorporate a new town and never look back. Look at Nexten.

The local gov’ts and councils are seeing tax revenue dollars and how to funnel those to their pet pockets. Sorry projects.

I pray it never happens but I could see SC residents having to apply for tags in the near future.

Santee needing help with hogs is lol, They thought they had them under control with the pig brig & helicopter hunting. They were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    .... what would it take for states to start pushing feds for a 3 bird, 30 day season?
    https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ng-regulations

They roll out a new framework every year. The above link is last years. The agency accepts writtent comment during the open comment period. Please carefully consider what you say in - lest you have to live with it.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

good job, P Lowe.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Can we just stop with any kind of regulations on hogs? Seriously...its beyond stupid that it's illegal to shoot pigs year 'round on public ground.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I agree with that. Just make it the same as private land. Most of the public land we have is overrun with pigs and very little is being done to manage them.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Can we just stop with any kind of regulations on hogs? Seriously...its beyond stupid that it's illegal to shoot pigs year 'round on public ground.
    This is a good point. DT, who is responsible for this regulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    SC along with a lot of other states in the south had better figure out how to manage development and conserve the natural resources. Population boom over the next 10-20 years will drastically affect everyone of us. No way to stop it completely because you can literally incorporate a new town and never look back. Look at Nexten.

The local gov’ts and councils are seeing tax revenue dollars and how to funnel those to their pet pockets. Sorry projects.

I pray it never happens but I could see SC residents having to apply for tags in the near future.
    Not gonna happen. Most politicians are in the land developing business, hard!

It's the same song and dance all the way up the chain, screw you and me so they can get theirs. Then ask us to worship them when they throw a few crumbs down on the floor.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14