Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stand hunting layering/clothing

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    It is your money but for the 99% SC hunting, I believe you are overthinking it.
    Get caught with the wrong gear during that “1%” and you’ll never think that way again. Happened to me on an Illinois trip in 2014 and I swore it would never happen again.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Get caught with the wrong gear during that “1%” and you’ll never think that way again. Happened to me on an Illinois trip in 2014 and I swore it would never happen again.
    Like I said……for the 99% of SC hunting. I have seen cold weather in the Dakotas and Montana and it can be vicious. Merino wool layers, fleece, gore Tex and a little common sense will take care of the 1%……it ain’t nothing but money. Spend away and don’t forget the stickers for your truck.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-23-2023 at 09:02 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Can't believe none of you SC boys have mentioned ASIO gear yet. I have used it this year and couldn't be more impressed. Down to 28 degrees with the late season pants and a CHEAP base layer and t-shirt, mid season hoodie and then coat up top and didn't even think about the temperature. Not much wind but you can get the bibs and layer for real cold and wind. You can't get more quiet.

I don't know how many of you know Joe that started it but he is from Camden and I doubt many on this site have spent more time in a tree stand. Not saying the other brands mentioned aren't great, but for me it stacks right up there. Definitely not the cheapest available, but from my experiences so far, you couldn't get me to trade what I have from ASIO so far for any of the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I have the following and layer as needed.
    Sitka pro grade 140 and 350 top and bottom
    Equinox pants
    Stratus bibs and jacket
    Fanatic hoody
    Celsius midi jacket (discontinued)
    Stratus vest.

Combining those I can get into the mid 20’s. Any colder and you’re going to need fanatic. However it’s way too warm to use in sc 90% of the time.
    I am sponsored with Sitka but was a long time user of other brands. However this list is a good one to go by here. The additions I would add are the ascent jacket and the heavy weight hoody. Both will give you light weight and or layering options.

Black Ovis for base layers. Half the cost as Sitka and the exact same product.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I’ll having trouble figuring out how I’ve killed all these deer in work clothes.
    Me too. Most of y’all sound like y’all could complicate a blowjob.

ETA 20deg with a 20mph wind ain’t shit. It ain’t cold til your eyes are watering and the tears are freezing in your eyelashes.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 11-23-2023 at 10:45 PM.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Heybo_Hater View Post
    I am sponsored with Sitka but was a long time user of other brands. However this list is a good one to go by here. The additions I would add are the ascent jacket and the heavy weight hoody. Both will give you light weight and or layering options.

You’re sponsored and they send you free gear, or do you have the discount that half of America has if they work in the outdoor industry or a first responder?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    Can't believe none of you SC boys have mentioned ASIO gear yet. I have used it this year and couldn't be more impressed. Down to 28 degrees with the late season pants and a CHEAP base layer and t-shirt, mid season hoodie and then coat up top and didn't even think about the temperature. Not much wind but you can get the bibs and layer for real cold and wind. You can't get more quiet.

I don't know how many of you know Joe that started it but he is from Camden and I doubt many on this site have spent more time in a tree stand. Not saying the other brands mentioned aren't great, but for me it stacks right up there. Definitely not the cheapest available, but from my experiences so far, you couldn't get me to trade what I have from ASIO so far for any of the other brands.
    Yes the Asio stuff is legit.

The best thing I’ve bought for SC hunting is the Milwaukee M12 heated hoodie. Takes the 12v battery, get Cold? Just push the button and warm up, then click it back off. Keep an extra battery in my bag with the M12 flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    The best thing I’ve bought for SC hunting is the Milwaukee M12 heated hoodie. Takes the 12v battery, get Cold? Just push the button and warm up, then click it back off. Keep an extra battery in my bag with the M12 flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This right here. I got a $90 heated vest off amazon. It will run on low for at least 8 hours and keep you warmer than youd like.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I haven't understood a single word in this thread.
    They dont know about Rattlers and Levis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    This right here. I got a $90 heated vest off amazon. It will run on low for at least 8 hours and keep you warmer than youd like.
    Which one did you go with? Thought about getting one for my boys.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Which one did you go with? Thought about getting one for my boys.
    Man they are all about the same. Some just have a little different heat zones. That’s about it. Some weird name brand
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I’ll having trouble figuring out how I’ve killed all these deer in work clothes.
    I am sitting in a deer stand right now wearing a 25 year old pair of Walmart camo pants, a 30 year old SCHP fleece half zip, and a 20 year old light jacket from Clothing world, bought on sale.

My wife will probably bury me in this get up, hopefully no time soon.

People got more money than good sense.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I am sitting in a deer stand right now wearing a 25 year old pair of Walmart camo pants, a 30 year old SCHP fleece half zip, and a 20 year old light jacket from Clothing world, bought on sale.

My wife will probably bury me in this get up, hopefully no time soon.

People got more money than good sense.
    I am befuddled by folks that think they need to wear camo head to toe to kill a deer.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Man they are all about the same. Some just have a little different heat zones. That’s about it. Some weird name brand
    Milwaukee I just got one and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I bought a Sitka Delta Wading Jacket in search of a reliable rain coat. Spent 4 days in the rain last week in S. Louisiana, I was impressed. I bought an XXL so I could fit my Sitka Duck Oven jacket underneath.....if I ever see cold weather again in my lifetime. The Duck Oven jacket is obscenely HOT.
    Sure beats that Kmart sweater don’t it lol
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I just spend a week on Kodiak and spent more than I'd care to admit on Kuiu gear. It's legit. So legit I had no idea on how to dress and my first trip up the mountain had me soaked with sweat. Rain, 40mph winds and 20 degrees were brisk but comfortable with jacket, pants and a merino base layer.

Kuiu camo in SC is silly. It's like shooting a 75lb yearling with a 461 Ribgy.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton