Thread: Bedding (Or Pillar Bedding) In The Midlands

Default Bedding (Or Pillar Bedding) In The Midlands

I have a Tikka M695 7mm Mag that's old. Granted, it has been shot 12 times in 24 years, but I had the desire to give it a makeover, even though the rifle could pass as new.

Upgrades are as follows:
    *Boyds AT-One stock (forest camo)
    *Threading being done for SiCo ASR brake
    *Trigger work
    *Upgraded, oversized bolt handle
    *Bolt fluting + Cerekote
    *5-round factory mag ()+ Cerekote
    *Meopta 6-18x50 > Redfield 3-9x40
    *Warne rings + Cerekote
    *Cerekote barrel/receiver (smoked bronze)
    *Versapod

Parts are trickling in, work is being done, & things are slowly coming along.

Lipstick on a pig? I honestly don't know, and personally, it doesn't matter, nor do I really care...

My ultimate concern is this caliber receiver being dropped into an aftermarket, wooden stock. Boyds even suggests bedding for magnum calibers.

I've researched some places that seem to do ultimate, state of the art, 3D CADD pillar bedding jobs ($$$) & some who seem to be less technical & considerably less expensive.

I'd rather keep my money in-state, and not have to deal with the hassle/cost of sending everything out for a bedding job.

Can y'all recommend anyone (Midlands preferred) who can bed for an action?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

You can easily do it yourself. It is not complicated. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it. I don’t have a tikka but I did my x-bolt with zero issues. I also took the stock browning stock off and went with a Boyd’s at one stock.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-22-2023 at 11:53 PM.

Bedding is not that hard. You can do it yourself. Plenty of vids online.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

What they said. I’ve done a couple and it’s fairly easy.

Griffin.

I think Griffin mentioned previously said that bedding a Tikka isn't necessary as the way is designed there's virtually no benefit. However, if I recall, I learned this a couple weeks after I bedded the synthetic stock on my T3.

Not sure if your model is like the T3 and if that rule holds, just sharing the little bit I know about the subject.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-24-2023 at 02:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I bedded an xbolt on a Boyd’s. Wasn’t too complicated.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Ronnie Long (Long Rifles) at Clark’s Hill. Top notch rifle maker. He has built some of the top Hunter Benchrest rifles in the country. The reason for the pillars is to minimize/eliminate compressibility of the stock which could impact harmonics….resulting in group size and POI shifts.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-23-2023 at 05:19 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

You made that gun gay.

Thank you kindly for your outstanding and highly valued insight.

I'm not quite sure of your level of reading comprehension, but possibly you missed somewhere around the 3rd paragraph. Regardless, IDRGAF.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Still gay. You doing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Still gay. You doing too much.
    I reckon that's okay since it's not your money I'm spending; right?

Ultimately, it'll be a nice weapon to be passed down to my kid. We ain't gettin' any younger...

I'm pretty fuckin' tired of SC's humidity & rust, anyways. If I could afford - wait...if I were willing to allocate the funds, I'd Cerekote every damn weapon that I own!

Sheepdog gonna sheepdog…

Just be sure to use plenty of release agent.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I think Griffin mentioned previously said that bedding a Tikka isn't necessary as the way is designed there's virtually no benefit. However, if I recall, I learned this a couple weeks after I bedded the synthetic stock on my T3.

Not sure if your model is like the T3 and if that rule holds, just sharing the little bit I know about the subject.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    willyworm, you are correct. The M695 doesn’t normally (according to a Sako/Tikka tech guy) benefit from a bedding job. That stock is a very solid one that was replaced with a much cheaper, more flexible stock with the T/Tx series’ rifles. I only sold my ‘06 because I never used it, but it was a nice shooter.

Sterling, unless you’re going to change that trigger, the only thing really needed to lighten the pull is to is change the spring. Of course, having the internals polished should really make it slick since it’s a nice trigger to start with. I personally wouldn’t change the stock, but the Cerakote will be a nice improvement to help solve the rusting concerns. Post up some pics when you get it done. Have fun!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    willyworm, you are correct. The M695 doesn’t normally (according to a Sako/Tikka tech guy) benefit from a bedding job. That stock is a very solid one that was replaced with a much cheaper, more flexible stock with the T/Tx series’ rifles. I only sold my ‘06 because I never used it, but it was a nice shooter.

Sterling, unless you’re going to change that trigger, the only thing really needed to lighten the pull is to is change the spring. Of course, having the internals polished should really make it slick since it’s a nice trigger to start with. I personally wouldn’t change the stock, but the Cerakote will be a nice improvement to help solve the rusting concerns. Post up some pics when you get it done. Have fun!
    Thanks.

As far as the trigger goes - yup, the new spring is the plan, plus a good polishing of contacts.

The stock is being done because I REALLY like an adjustable cheekweld (should be mandatory, IMHO).

I appreciate the input!

The project is a slow one. Stock won't even ship 'til Jan 8th.