Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last trailer repair question ?

Default Last trailer repair question ?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject but I am not a machinist or metal guy

Welding shop called me today after getting my trailer that was rear ended couple weeks ago

Working up estimate for other driver insurance company and told me the trailer is over 1” out of square , maybe little more

I understand if out of square it can wear tires quicker, tandem axle trailer (16’ ) . Metal shop said tandem axle trailers worse than single axle trailer if out of square

How big a deal is this , trailer was fine before it was hit but I am sure State Farm will only pay me ACV of trailer which means it gonna cost me to replace it. I am fine with that if I need to do this

Shop’s estimate may be more than they want to pay to fix anyway just like to have all the information before I deal with them on settlement or repairs

TIF

I'd make them pay me replacement cost. Screw them lowballing if you have to get a new trailer.

out of square is no bueno for anything you pull a lot or over longer distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I'd make them pay me replacement cost. Screw them lowballing if you have to get a new trailer.
    Not real worried about lowball offer just went down this route last year with another trailer and know how the system works

Just want to know what I really dealing with as far as condition of trailer

It doesn't work that way. You're way of thinking, if it was a 20 year old truck he should get a brand new truck. That aint gonna happen.
    The claim will be settled on an actual cash value at the time of loss valuation. Also known as depreciated value due to age, wear and tear, etc.

Check you're emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    It doesn't work that way. You're way of thinking, if it was a 20 year old truck he should get a brand new truck. That aint gonna happen.
    The claim will be settled on an actual cash value at the time of loss valuation. Also known as depreciated value due to age, wear and tear, etc.

Check you're emotions.
    Yep. Basically why I would hope trailer is ok to repair Repairs will not cost my anything but if they pay what I would assume they would I am still going to have to come out of pocket at least $2k is my guess. But rather do that than have a trailer that eats up tires

I do not get bent out of shape over negotiations but have been around long enough to realize everything has a value , whether or not I like the actual amount I know an insurance company is only going to pay so much

After all it is an older trailer but in great shape

Just not sure how much 1” out of square really matters
    Last edited by tprice; 11-20-2023 at 09:34 PM.

The crucial square measurement is the axles and the tongue.

Check you're emotions.
    I know how the system works. Doesn't mean I wouldn't fight for it.

I’m no mechanical expert, but an alignment issue is just that. It really depends on how much weight you haul, how far, what kind of speeds, and how often. If it’s just local, occasional use, I probably wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you’re hauling longer distances at 55+ mph, I’d hesitate to let it go.

I would want to see if the trailer shop, or a collision repair shop, could straighten it, or possibly, at least, square up the axles to eliminate or reduce the extra wear your tires will get. Figure a new set of tires and rims will currently run you about $500, so how long does that $2K you’re willing to spend stretch out? Only you can decide if it’s worth a trial risk.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

KRT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I know how the system works. Doesn't mean I wouldn't fight for it.
    ^^^ Yeah, I'd shut that shit down pronto.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 11-21-2023 at 06:04 AM.

Take insurance check for wrecked trailer, buy back wrecked trailer with salvage title, sell salvage trailer to mechecan, pool both monies and buy brand spanking new trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    What he said.

Reached out to very good friend of mine that has moved to Greenwood, sucker can do ANYTHING with metal. He is a retired machinist and when he lived here I loved watching him repair and re engineer things

He said same thing, he has built several trailers over the years. Even offered to run up and take a look at it for me to make sure but he knows shop it is at and said they are as good as they come

Thanks for all the advice, like I said I am no idiot but clueless about stuff like this and knew some of you folks would know exactly the questions I need to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Take insurance check for wrecked trailer, buy back wrecked trailer with salvage title, sell salvage trailer to mechecan, pool both monies and buy brand spanking new trailer.
    In theory that is decent idea but my time is so limited I do not have time to screw with all that , end of day probably not come out any better
    Last edited by tprice; 11-21-2023 at 07:34 AM.

^^^ Yeah, I'd shut that shit down pronto.
    Until you got a letter from an attorney and then you'd cut a straight check.

Yes, if you can get the shop to verify this, I'd go from there.

I just redid a trailer and the original axle was an inch and some change out of square from the tongue. I'm glad I checked before I put new springs and a brand new axle under it.

I would already be asking for a new trailer.

You know it is no longer square, but what you dont know is how it will pull, or how bad it will wear the tires out.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Until you got a letter from an attorney and then you'd cut a straight check.
    Yep. He talks big b/c most just roll over and take it.

He puts ketchup on grits.

He puts ketchup on grits.
    Which means he's capable of ANYTHING.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!