Thread: Transplanting persimmon trees

Default Transplanting persimmon trees

I’ve flagged 10 persimmon trees that have fruit on them this year on the side of the road that runs thru our property. I want to move them to food plots I’ve cleared. When I research moving you get all kinds of different opinions from now until spring. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so when ( if in SC) and any info on process. The trees are from 5’ to 10’ tall and 2” to 4” trunk diameter.

Hit up Benny Hallman.

Hallman Farms Wildlife Nursery
    121 Mill RD, Little Mountain, SC 29075
    info@hallmanfarms.com
    866-295-8733
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Just dig em up. Move as much of the root mass as you can.

Persimmons are tough.

Persimmon sprouts come from root suckers so many trees are often attached to on another via roots.
    This makes digging them up very difficult especially with larger trees and in loose soils.
    IMO, the only was you will be successful with trees this size is to use a tree spade.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If you can find seeds that have passed through the digestive system of an animal, those will grow trees.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I've tried growing them from seeds and never had any success, using seeds that came from coon crap and some straight out of the fruit. I went through a lengthy process to naturally scarify the seeds from the fruit by aging them several weeks in a moist conditions in a refrigerator. Still no luck.

If you transplant live trees, one thing that will help is constant watering. I've got some 55 gallon barrels with a dribble hose I use to water transplanted plants.

Persimmons pop up in lots of places around my property but most never bear fruit.

I've got shooting lane were I'm trying to kill young persimmon trees but can't. I even used a combination of 2-4D and Round-up...it knocked them back but they're starting to green-up again...come dig up some of these nuclear survivors, please.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've got shooting lane were I'm trying to kill young persimmon trees but can't. I even used a combination of 2-4D and Round-up...it knocked them back but they're starting to green-up again...come dig up some of these nuclear survivors, please.
    Troclopyr
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Troclopyr
    Thank you. I know I'm supposed to love persimmon trees but I've started to not really like them.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

tricoplyr
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    tricoplyr
    Shhhh. Yer late.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. I would buy 20 seedlings and just plant and tube. You’ll have fruit in 8-10 years.
    Carolina Counsel

Dig them up. If they aren't doing you any good where they currently are, what's it going to hurt if they die when you move them?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Default Transplanting persimmon trees

I have dug up and transplanted many over the years.

So far I have only had one make it. I have read that it is due to the tap root that is so long.

Other trees like sawtooth oaks I have had success moving them.

I am stubborn and have plans to try again this year. I have some that are in the way so I am going to try to move them. We will see.
    Last edited by treesuitsc; 11-23-2023 at 10:39 PM.

Have replanted many younger oaks with success….any time after they drop their leaves and before they bud. Never had a persimmon make it, and could never get the seeds to germinate. I went the seedling root in 2014, and most trees have fruit this year. I’ve since realized the woods were already full of persimmons, and didn’t need to mess with them. Also feel like I’m only feeding the coons and yotes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    tricoplyr
    This.....sorry bout the autocorrect whatever troclopyr is

Mossy Oak Nativ Nursery had persimmons for $5 apiece not long ago. They are easy to start from seed as well. Collect persimmons, clean seeds, keep moist in the fridge until March, and plant them. The law of chance says half the trees will be male, half female, but it seems like its 25% fruit producers. Takes several years to get that far to tell. Grafting from a known female producer is actually easy though.

The raccoons and grey fox will appreciate it.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk