Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and chocolate

Default Dogs and chocolate

I am out of town and the wife just texted me that my dog got into some brownies and probably ate 10. I looked up the brand and does not contain dark chocolate. Telling her to give him peroxide but trying to decide if vet is necessary. I know if I call they are going to say bring him in to be safe just seeing what the resident duckers say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of brownie we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    What type of brownie we talking about?
    Not the pot type

If he threw up after the peroxide your more than likely fine!

I've had it happen with poison & just got V k after peroxide. It is just harder when it is your dog.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Not the pot type

Well that takes all the fun out of it then! Sorry I’m no help but I do hope your dog is ok for sure

My GSP ate an entire plate of them when I brought her home on the 1st day. Vet didn't seem worried until I told them they were sugar free due to my roommate having diabetes. I took her in and they induced vomiting several times to which was a blessing because she also hacked up an entire oyster shell that had apparently been lodged in her throat. She was a rescue and was somewhere around 6mo old when I got her and had been out on her own.

Mine has ate his body weight in chocolate Halloween candy the other day while we were grocery shopping. He’s fine but he’s also to dumb to die I think

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

My gsp did it at 1yr old with valentines candy my wife had brought home from school. The vet saved her life.

I've always heard about the chocolate thing. I've never tested it with any of my Ridgebacks. However the half dacha half terrier (great deer tracker) he was a rescue sort of. He adopted us. He would roam the roads and would come to my house, but would go back to his "owners" house which was a rental about 6 miles by car about 2 through the woods. No collar, no nothing. One day he showed up with a rabies tag on a new collar. It was one of these free clinics in a parking lot. I back tracked and found the owner realized where they lived. My family had fallen for the little dude, the big dogs didnt mind him. So I made contact with them, and the woman said keep him she was moving to South Dakota the next day??? It was her kids dog and he was devastated. I felt terrible. She said they didnt have room to take him, so basically they had just let him roam hoping he would leave.

Anyway he is street smart. We joke about him, and his iron stomach. We havent ran across anything yet that he cant eat, or at least try. He no longer tries rat poison because he knows the peroxide is coming. Super smart. But he will eat anything the kids leave around, including chocolate. I dont think he has ever pigged out on it to my knowledge, but I know he has eaten his share.

I hear onions are supposed to be bad for them as well. He will not eat them, but the ridgebacks have gone counter surfing and eaten bushels of them, but they were cooked into other foods. Never seemed to hurt them?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

My Weimaraner has eaten countless bags of Reese’s cup never seems to phase her.

My old GSP once ate an entire bag of Reese's (at least he has good taste) as well on Halloween when we were out. Called the vet. He was fine. Pooped out candy wrappers for a few days and that was about it.

Milk chocolate will generally not cause any issues outside of some mild gastroenteritis, especially in a larger dog. Darker chocolate has a higher concentration of theobromine and caffeine. Dogs can’t process it as efficiently as humans.

1 ounce of dark cocoa chocolate, baker’s chocolate will kill a small dog.

Be safe and don’t feed your dogs any chocolate. If they do eat some, induce vomiting with the help of a professional ASAP.

Standard operating procedure. My dog is willing to take the beating for them. If they’re left anywhere other than in a cabinet they will disappear

I'm pretty sure cocaine will not hurt them in small quantities.

I had 2 RR in the truck one day and ran in the office for a moment to grab something. Got tied up talking came out side to open my truck door and dollar bills went flying in the wind. After running around like on of those money drop games for a min, I got all I could see. The 2 idiots had grabbed my wallet off the visor. The best I could tell I had all the small bills, but it appears as if I was missing about 1200$ in 100$ bills. At first I thought they were after the wallet its self because it was made of leather. It had teeth marks but nothing major.

I looked all through the truck, and could not find the money. I have no clue as too how many 1/5/10/20's I have at any one time, but I usually keep up with 50/100$'s

I walked back in side grabbed peroxide came out distributed and waited.

Sure enough one had eaten 7 the other 5.

After thinking about it and talking with a few friends over the reason it was only 100$ bills. We came to the conclusion the 100$ were more likely to come in contact with coke, and stay in circulation longer.

The dogs could smell it and decided to partake!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Hell of a flex right there…

Do you just put peroxide on their tongue? Haven’t heard that one before but sounds useful

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Do you just put peroxide on their tongue? Haven’t heard that one before but sounds useful
    No you pour it down their throat and it will foam up in their stomach which causes them to throw up.
    80-20 Genaration

Default Dogs and chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Mine has ate his body weight in chocolate Halloween candy the other day while we were grocery shopping. He’s fine but he’s also to dumb to die I think

ETA: I got one of them too, lol
    Last edited by Tater; 11-17-2023 at 08:29 PM.

Wife gave him peroxide and threw up twice. Explosive diarrhea and all was well.

Dogs love chocolate