Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Septic Tank Question

Default Septic Tank Question

County came through my hood doing 5 year septic inspections, first time in the 13 years I've been in this house. They found my risers are not far enough, minimum 6" above grade. So the question is do they make risers to go on top of my existing risers in order to get them above grade? They told me that they passed original inspection when the house was built, however the contractor must have completed final landscaping after which brought them back to grade. This is evidently a common finding in my neighborhood according to the inspector. I get it, screw the tax man, ignore the report, stay off of my property, however Im here now, and the findings are on a report.
    Septic Riser.jpg
    Last edited by scmoose; 11-15-2023 at 10:18 AM.

This in Richland county?

That seems crazy to me but YOu could probably lay some concrete brick and raise it up a few inches

Wake County NC.

Yeah thought about building some forms drill some rebar in and just extend them up.

I've seen some people use those plastic risers. I'm thinking of putting some on mine so I don't have to keep digging it up every time I need to clean it out.
    For the ducks

This really seems like them overstepping their bounds if this is a traditional septic tank and drain fill

I have been a wastewater collection certification instructor for many years and I have never heard of a county or DHEC inspecting an existing septic tank. Mainly because if it’s a conventional tank and drain fill it is private property and the inflow and infiltration that it takes on has zero bearing on the load of the city wastewater system and treatment so why would they even care?

The only thing that will happen with your tank as it currently sits it inflow during a heavy rain event. When that happens your tank will be full of rain water and not be able to take the water from the house. It happens all the time when the groundwater table is high and the drain fill can’t absorb the tank water.

Did the inspector not tell you how to fix it? They should have a design manual with specs of how they want it fixed
    Last edited by quack head 11; 11-15-2023 at 11:23 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

https://www.septicsolutions.com/sept...isers-and-lids

I used something like this to raise my access out of ground, so I wouldn’t have to dig to get to it. If the square adapter plate fits/covers your existing opening, you can add risers to get the height you need. Probably do an internet search and find different size adapters, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    This really seems like them overstepping their bounds if this is a traditional septic tank and drain fill

I have been a wastewater collection certification instructor for many years and I have never heard of a county or DHEC inspecting an existing septic tank. Mainly because if it’s a conventional tank and drain fill it is private property and the inflow and infiltration that it takes on has zero bearing on the load of the city wastewater system and treatment so why would they even care?

The only thing that will happen with your tank as it currently sits it inflow during a heavy rain event. When that happens your tank will be full of rain water and not be able to take the water from the house. It happens all the time when the groundwater table is high and the drain fill can’t absorb the tank water.

Did the inspector not tell you how to fix it? They should have a design manual with specs of how they want it fixed
    I responded to their email with this question. Waiting for a response.

I've got a riser like this on my septic: https://oldcastleinfrastructure.com/...ertical-riser/

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I responded to their email with this question. Waiting for a response.
    Keep me posted I’m curious of their response

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Keep me posted I’m curious of their response
    Her quoted some code that required the inspection.

Ain’t no way.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Her quoted some code that required the inspection.
    They would have to explain why they are inspecting existing systems on private property that do not connect to the city sewer.

If that’s the case are they going to start inspecting existing homes to make sure handrailsc, steps, porches etc are up to the new code?

Ill try to post the report when I get back to the office

Dear Wake County Property Owner,
    An Operation and Maintenance (O&M) inspection pursuant to 15A NCAC 18A. 1961 has been
    completed on your property. The system was inspected on the date indicated in the attached
    inspection report and found to have non-compliant item(s) that need repair, replacement, or some
    other form of attention on your part in order for them to be in compliance. Please refer to the
    inspection report for detailed results of all items.
    Repair or replacement of the identified non-compliant item(s) will bring your system back into
    compliance. Depending on non-compliant item(s), you may be able to perform the maintenance
    yourself, or you may have to hire a registered septic contractor to determine the cause of the noncompliance
    and bring your septic system into compliance. When complete, please call the contact
    person listed in the inspection report.
    If you have any questions, please contact the inspector indicated in the inspection report between
    8:30 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday or send an email to OMContact@Wake.gov.
    Sincerely,
    Water Quality Division
    Environmental Services Department
    Wake County Government
    Wake.gov

According to that statute, mine requires 5 year inspections. I have a IIIb system.

Psssshhhhh, NC. Tell them you already had it inspected and passed by I Ladies.

Whats done is done... am I wrong here? Is the county going to come to my house and inspect my house and tell me to re-run the wiring?

Also, just a side thought... SC DHEC doesn't even use a perc test to approve or disapprove OSWWs anymore, which is probably what they did to approve your septic tank. Now they use Soil Analysis. Where does this end? Is SC DHEC going to come and test your soil and make you remove your septic if it fails? I understand this is NC, and I'm not sure of their permitting methods for OSWWs, but do you see my point?

I guess the make it or break it question is, is how much is this going to cost? If its not a substantial amount, I'd probably just do it and bite the bullet. If we start talking about serious money or if they start poking around any further into my property, I would push back.

I probably wouldn't tell them to "piss off," per se, but what I would do is respectfully decline any further actions from the county. If they continued to harass me, I'd probably contact a lawyer.

This is a county thing. You are in the communist state of Wake. Never herd of it in our county but if you have any alterations made after the original design/install the county has to re-permit the system or if there is a complaint of a drain field leaching to the surface by neighbors you will get a visit.