Thread: Box blade...how wide?

Default Box blade...how wide?

One implement I don't have is a box blade. A loader with a bucket just won't scrape up hard packed dirt like I need to. My tractor is 7' wide. Is it ideal to have a box blade the same width as the wheels of the tractor?

I know I want one with removeable teeth. Are there any other things I should look for or avoid?

Make sure it’s wider than your rear wheels.

Standard is 5 ft....

I'd make sure there are front and rear blades and not just a 'reversible' one. And, yes, you do want the adjustable/removable rippers.

Get a heavier duty one than you think you need, but not sure about going more than 6'. Mine is only 5', but so is my tractor width.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

6 ft works perfect on my 50 hp JD...........Box blade won't cut hard packed earth or clay either(rippers will just ride over the top). You probably need to harrow it first.............BTW mine has blades front and back. And I use it sometimes as mini bulldozer in reverse.

You want your box blade to cover your tire tracks, regardless of how wide the tractor is.if you get one narrow then you always will have tracks in your freshly spread dirt, then it rains , then you got standing water., then you drive on it and then you got a mess. As someone else mentioned blade on both side is the only way to go, some are fixed and some are hinged.

I also took an hydraulic scrap blade, which tilts and angles and extended one side 24 inches and made a box blade end and left other side alone. I can angle and tilt to pull ditches, it will pull the ditches or crown roads . The secret is dirt has to move freely.
    Pro-Tip using a box blade is to load the box quickly with dirt if moving a bunch of dirt, I add a couple tractor weights to blade to eliminate box blade from bouncing on hard roads.

Go to iveys in buffalo and get what you need. Make sure to clear half a day
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid