Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18" Barreled .308

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Ever shot subs through it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    Ever shot subs through it?
    I have not, but recoil is minimal at best with the suppressor and super sonic loads. My sone is around 70lbs and has killed multiple deer with it in the last two years.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    If you go with a bolt go 16" if you go gas find an old DPMS SASS rifle or build one. Performance is almost identical between the 2. I can load 1 round for both of them. My oldest daughter was little metal gongs at 500 yards at 7, with the gas gun. Has slightly less recoil. Which isnt much. Yes, both are suppressed.
    Do you have any experience with the 6.5prc? I just bought one and trying to determine what length to cut the barrel to shoot it suppressed?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."

Do you have any experience with the 6.5prc? I just bought one and trying to determine what length to cut the barrel to shoot it suppressed?
    I have not had enough experience with those to comment professionally, but just knowing a little about it. I would think that you could possibly get down to 18" you would have to load and change the powder, and use something quicker burning. Probably a RL16 or 4831, the only issue with that is you're gonna burn out the throat on an already low count barrel. Depending on quality & your idea of a site group, you're gonna get 1-2k out of a barrel.

I probably would go no lower than 20" unless I was going to tighten the twist rate up. At 1:8 you will get 2.5 full orations with 20". Along as those projectiles are I would want to get at least that. The target guys use 30" barrels, but most of the hunting set ups I've seen were 24-26" barrels.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I have not had enough experience with those to comment professionally, but just knowing a little about it. I would think that you could possibly get down to 18" you would have to load and change the powder, and use something quicker burning. Probably a RL16 or 4831, the only issue with that is you're gonna burn out the throat on an already low count barrel. Depending on quality & your idea of a site group, you're gonna get 1-2k out of a barrel.

I probably would go no lower than 20" unless I was going to tighten the twist rate up. At 1:8 you will get 2.5 full orations with 20". Along as those projectiles are I would want to get at least that. The target guys use 30" barrels, but most of the hunting set ups I've seen were 24-26" barrels.
    Thanks. From most of the reading I have done on the web most have cut them down to 20 or 21 inches. So that is what I was already leaning toward.

Following along… I have been looking around for a 16 inch threaded bolt .308 as well strictly for hunting. Want a traditional stock, nothing heavy and haven’t come across anything. It sounds like my best bet might be to get one and have it cut down.

I currently have a .308 w a 24inch barrel and it is just not practical for everyday hunting especially with suppressor attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunPrime has the CZ Alpha 600 20” threaded 308 for $499. CZ has a $100 rebate. So you’d be paying $400.

From the videos I’ve watched these rifles have been under an inch straight out the box.

You more than likely can use the barrel you have.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Following along… I have been looking around for a 16 inch threaded bolt .308 as well strictly for hunting. Want a traditional stock, nothing heavy and haven’t come across anything. It sounds like my best bet might be to get one and have it cut down.

I currently have a .308 w a 24inch barrel and it is just not practical for everyday hunting especially with suppressor attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve used the Bergara short barrel suppressed in .308 this season and it is about a perfect of a hunting rig that you will find. Especially off the shelf. With the can attached you are looking at a 22-24 inch barrel. The weight of the gun makes it a steady of a hold as I’ve ever felt on a bolt gun. For the price they are hard to beat as well.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Thanks. From most of the reading I have done on the web most have cut them down to 20 or 21 inches. So that is what I was already leaning toward.
    Probably a decent compromise. The 6.5 PRC is significantly overbore so you will lose a fair bit of velocity by shortening the barrel compared to other rounds such as the .308. The main advantage of the 6.5 PRC is that it launches high BC bullets at relatively high velocity for long distance performance but it takes a lot of powder and barrel length to do that. If you whack off too much barrel you lose its primary advantage and turn it into a shorter range gun. However no big deal for 100-200 yard deer killing.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Probably a decent compromise. The 6.5 PRC is significantly overbore so you will lose a fair bit of velocity by shortening the barrel compared to other rounds such as the .308. The main advantage of the 6.5 PRC is that it launches high BC bullets at relatively high velocity for long distance performance but it takes a lot of powder and barrel length to do that. If you whack off too much barrel you lose its primary advantage and turn it into a shorter range gun. However no big deal for 100-200 yard deer killing.
    Explains why 99% of every 6.5 prc I’ve seen is at least 24”.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Hence my bump the burn rate up, the advantage to that cartridge is you can get a quick burn.

I've done a little research sense he asked and you can get 2900FPS with 20" with faster powder! Is it worth it? I dont know. I jus called a few guys I know. PRC dont turn me on due to the short throat life.

If I'm gonna burn a barrel in 1-2k I'm buying a .338
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 11-19-2023 at 12:13 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

3 1/2 mag, I've shot a few boxes of subs through a Bergara 308 special purpose (short barrel) without issue. The factory stock is fine, but I replaced it with a Greyboe. It's a tad heavier but I prefer the adjustable cheek rest.

Lots of folks shooting 20-22” PRCs. You’ll get about the same performance as a 24” Creedmoor with the 140 class bullets.
    130s are a better choice. 1- 8 twist is sufficient.
    If you’re going to neuter a PRC, just shoot a Creedmoor with 130s.

SAVAGE ARMS 110 MAGPUL HUNTER BOLT ACTION .308 WINCHESTER RIFLE, BLACK - 57734

$599 after rebate.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sava...ack-57734.html

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

In Charleston there is a guy that cut and threaded my barrel for I wanna say $50 or so. If you like your rifle and it shoots, as long as the barrel is thick enough, thats the way to go in my opinion.
    Last edited by Pezzaroon; 12-07-2023 at 07:51 AM.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

CVA Cascade SB. Great bang for the buck. Whoteewho reviews it on youtube shooting out to 800yds with it.

Innovative Arms, located in Camden, will cut, crown, & thread just about any rifle for ~$200; lots of threading only projects run $99. They've done many long guns for me over the years and have even done some custom jobs on handguns; I actually have two of his suppressors. Currently, my 7mag is over there awaiting pickup. It got threaded last week.

Great folks & the owner (Philip) has been in the industry for about 20 years. If you reach out, tell them (Philip or his wife Jenny) that Sterling sent you. (And, no, unfortunately I don't get any kickbacks...)