Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/10/2023 - A Friend's First Deer

Awesome Bart!

HAT'S OFF to RH & OUTSTANDING work, Bart. It's always nice for y'all both to be equally excited about a 1st take-down. Congrats!

Rubberhead has done what I think is a pretty excellent recap of that day's events. I will, however, add a few points from my perspective, instead of starting a new thread.

I heard what I thought was something sizeable moving through the woods near the tree line across from the stand. In anticipation I raised the rifle, laid it on the rail and waited. A small buck emerged. Not a trophy, but I counted six points and figured, "here we go". He walked out about twenty feet from the tree line and looked up at me, directly through my soul. I froze, figuring I'd been made, but he then casually lowered his head and began feeding. I steadied myself, attempted to control my breathing, and pulled the trigger. The deer looked up for a second, undeterred, and proceeded to finish his afternoon snack. 100% miss. Mr. Buck then sauntered back into the woods without a care in the world, never to be seen again. Or so I thought.

As I attempted to sift through the self-doubt and uncertainty that has so plagued me for forty-seven years, I cleared my mind enough to tell myself, "calm down, and load another round". Shortly after doing so, my quarry walked back out into the clearing from which he'd initially emerged. This time, however, he was moving with a noticeably greater sense of urgency than the first time, heading right-to-left to the other side of the clearing. My heart began to palpitate once again, and I steadied myself for another shot. He slowed-up about twenty feet from the left tree line but continued moving in that direction. Throwing-up what I considered to be the equivalent of a hail Mary, I whistled twice, which caused him to stop. He raised his head, and I pulled the trigger. He gave me the characteristic jump of a hit whitetail and then proceeded to disappear into the trees.

With my heart racing and hands shaking, all I could do is sit there in disbelief of what'd just transpired. As I reached to pick up my phone I heard a telltale crash, which exacerbated the myriad of emotions I was already experiencing. Texted the situation to Rubberhead and he said he'd be there immediately. What felt like days for him to arrive was in actuality probably about ten minutes. Easily the longest, most excruciatingly-sweet ten minutes of my life.

RH approached the stand with a grin that the phrase "shit-eating" fails to do justice. I unloaded the chamber, climbed down and did my best to remember any detail that'd help us locate what I hoped would be my first kill. As we approached the tree I deemed my primary point-of-reference, Steve muttered something, to which I replied, "do you see him?". He pointed the way, and I saw that beautiful, white belly. First one down.

I've discussed with many people, including several on here, if it's better to have been raised doing this stuff, or if it's sweeter being new to the game. I think the answer is simply, "yes". Thank y'all sincerely for all the support and encouragement. This experience will be hard to top, and the memories will undoubtedly live forever. All the way down to the big girl at the processor with the colostomy bag. God bless the LC.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Forgot to add a pic. I have a bloody-face picture but Steve said I failed to provide the "proper contrast". Heh heh.

20231110_170033.jpg
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

good stuff.

I like to see young kids shooting deer. but i really like older kids shooting deer. there is a maturity to the thought process other than just pleasing dad. in your case, there is a good bit more maturity that, in my opinion, adds to the experience. shot a deer when you're 6 and you'll hardly know what you did.

good job
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I saw the news on IG and was pretty excited for Bart. I'd sent him a message to shoot the first thing that walked out when he posted the powerline view. Again, congrats on your first & for having Rubberhead as a whitetail mentor. Good stuff all around.

Beautiful deer. Nice hearing about the hunt from both perspectives.

Congrats again. There's only one first. Sounds like you got all from it you could and left nothing to waste.

That's awesome from both of your perspective. Congrats.

Congrats.

"Golf clap".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Awesome all the way around. Did RH edit your write up as well? He has a way with stories and you matched it well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Awesome all the way around. Did RH edit your write up as well? He has a way with stories and you matched it well.
    All me, brother. Writing is the one ability I'll put up against nearly anyone.

This made my day! BIG congrats all around.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Heck yeah! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    perfect first deer!!
    I think so too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Congratulations Bart. And hats off to Rubberhead, fine job sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    All me, brother. Writing is the one ability I'll put up against nearly anyone.
    And, sucking demon wasps out of Tom Hank's mouth to fix his STD

Congrats btw.

Go man!