Thread: How many times can I grind the same deer meat?

Default How many times can I grind the same deer meat?

I’m processing my first deer on my own. The first two pounds I ran through the grinder on the large holes then again with the smaller plate. I did not mix any fat or seasoning into it. If I want to turn this into sausage or add fat do I need to grind again or can I just grind the fat alone then mix it all together?

I would grind again as it would mix better than grinding fat alone and just mixing.

Mix meat and fat prior to first grind. Put in freezer until almost frozen. Then double grind w large plate, package and freeze or eat.

I just ground fat into some that I had already frozen that had been ground and stuffed. As mentioned above, I re-ground the meat and the fat together. Nobody complained at the dinner table.

IMG_0890.jpgIMG_0892.jpg

I have also found that using pork fat rather than beef fat produces a better finished product. Fat is not as waxy and has a lower melting temp allowing the product to be cooked to a more desirable temp.

What ratio of deer/pork fat did you use on those burgers? I will go ahead and make those Saturday.

I do 80/20 with ground bacon if I’m ever doing my own. Usually just send to processor though.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I just ground fat into some that I had already frozen that had been ground and stuffed. As mentioned above, I re-ground the meat and the fat together. Nobody complained at the dinner table.

IMG_0890.jpgIMG_0892.jpg
    Looks good! Last time I ground up burger I made a batch with some sharp cheddar (and pepper jack cheese). The whole fam loved it.

The test burger -
    20220904_161139.jpg

Good luck, hope yours come out great!

80/20 on those burgers. Pure pork fat not pork “trim”

I would grind the fat through the coarse plate, mix well with deer, then grind again through coarse plate.
    When I do burger I grind them both through coarse, then a second time through coarse.
    The only beef we buy is the occasional ribeye.

If you want good deer burgers just add good sausage to the meat (I use Swaggerty’s and use about 1/3 sausage 2/3 deer).

I just mix it when deer is thawed out from freezer instead of freezing it that way. Processor I use vacuum seals all meats

You will thank me later
    Last edited by tprice; 11-08-2023 at 08:26 PM.

I grind a lot of burger and sausage. Beef fat (steak trimmings not waxy pelleted fat) for burger at 80/20 and pork fat for sausage. I mix the cubed up venison with the steak trimmings and run through the course plate. Mix the ground meat in a tub by hand. Switch to the medium plate and grind it straight into bags.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 11-09-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

hand mixing fat into already ground meat will be tough. i'd just grind it all again together.

next time, add the fat at the beginning.

80/20 is fine. I use pork trim for sausage and beef trim for burger. I dont know the intricacies of the fat I use. A butcher gives it to me. I've used the fat cap of a boston butt and a beef brisket before. didnt notice any difference.

look a the Walton's web site. that's where I get most of my sausage spices and other processing stuff.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    hand mixing fat into already ground meat will be tough. i'd just grind it all again together.

next time, add the fat at the beginning.

80/20 is fine. I use pork trim for sausage and beef trim for burger. I dont know the intricacies of the fat I use. A butcher gives it to me. I've used the fat cap of a boston butt and a beef brisket before. didnt notice any difference.

look a the Walton's web site. that's where I get most of my sausage spices and other processing stuff.
    This... I use BEEF TRIMMINGS and it makes the best I have ever had. There is a meat processor in Darl/Flo that I get steak trimmings from. I have been grinding myself for about 20 years because I got tired of the processors leaving silverskin, deer fat, tendons, connecting tissue in the stuff they gave me.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

^good
    i'll let you debone all my deer. that's the only tedious part to me. I enjoy the rest of it...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I haven't messed with the bag I already ground, but did do a 70/30 blend with pork fat and Legg's Blend 10 sausage seasoning and it turned out pretty good. Put chunks of fat and meat through the biggest grind plate, mixed it by hand with seasoning, and ran it through again with a finer plate.

I think I'll end up just using the bag I already ground up with no fat in chili or taco's and add bacon when I cook it instead of regrinding.