Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Rudy Mancke

Default RIP Rudy Mancke

Beloved South Carolina naturalist Rudy Mancke dies after battle with liver disease

BY SAMMY FRETWELL

NOVEMBER 08, 2023

University of South Carolina’s naturalist-in-residence Rudy Mancke was widely regarded for his knowledge of the state’s environment. THE STATE file photo Beloved South Carolina naturalist Rudy Mancke, whose statewide television program NatureScene enlightened legions of people through the years about the environment, died Tuesday night after battling liver disease. Mancke, 78, was surrounded by his family when he passed away, his wife said.

A native of Spartanburg, Mancke was often the go-to person to discuss South Carolina’s wide array of plants and animals. With an easygoing style and a soft southern drawl, Mancke loved teaching about the natural world. His wife, Ellen, said Mancke had an interest in nature from an early age. She remembers him leading nature tours for church youth when he was a teenager in Spartanburg.

“He was always a teacher, always teaching,’’ she said. “One of his main talents was being able to speak to a crowd of children through adults and everybody understood what he was saying.’’ Comments on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, poured out Wednesday as news of Mancke’s death spread. Ellen Mancke said she had answered multiple phone calls from friends and family. “He was a treasure filled with knowledge and wit,’’ tweeted Andy Shain, a former reporter now with the University of South Carolina. Patrick Moore, a conservationist with the Open Space Institute, said Mancke’s death is a substantial loss to South Carolina and the country.

“Conservationists all over South Carolina and around the world credit Rudy with their passion for the outdoors,’’ Moore said. “He generously loved South Carolina and we are all better off having known him.’’ Mancke was at one time natural history curator at the S.C. State Museum, as well as a high school biology and geology teacher, S.C. Public Radio reported.

He is a Wofford College graduate, with honorary degrees from the College of Charleston, Winthrop University and Wofford, the radio outlet reported. NatureScene, which he hosted with Beryl Dakers and Jim Welch, ran from 1978 to 2002 and was widely regarded for its detailed looks at plants and wildlife in South Carolina. The show later expanded to feature venues across the country and the world.

One of those was a look at how plants and animals had rebounded at Chernobyl, the nuclear plant in Ukraine known as the site of perhaps the world’s worst atomic disaster. Mancke also was the naturalist in residence at the University of South Carolina and founder of the S.C. Native Plant Society. He won numerous awards from conservation organizations for his work. More recently, Mancke hosted a series of one-minute radio spots on S.C. Public Radio called “Nature Notes.’’

The radio snippets featured quick looks all kinds of animals and plants. Some recent spots included features on monkey spiders, fig beetles, pollen, black racer snakes, yellow jackets and crab apples. In an interview with Columbia Metropolitan magazine, Mancke discussed his love of nature from an early age and why it was important.

“I recognize the healing properties of being in nature, especially when the man-made world begins to feel overwhelming,’’ he said. Mancke died after being hospitalized last week. He had been having health problems since liver disease was discovered in July, his wife said. Funeral arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later, Ellen Mancke said.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

Damn. NatureScene was my childhood.

Enjoy the after.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

impressive brain on that fella.
    had the pleasure of a few walks in the woods with him.

He will be missed.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

"see this little white lip on this snail? this is called the white lipped snail"
    Rudy

that was from one of those little walks in the woods back in the day

Oh, and I do remember somewhat of a disagreement on the big cherry bark in front of the tack house before one of those walks

pretty sharp fella for sure
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

When I lived in Columbia my wife and I (might not have even been married then) went to a state park on a whim one afternoon. It so happened that Rudy Mancke was there and was about to start a 'walk' with a group that we joined in on. I don't think we made it more than 25 yards and he had probably identified and gave information on at least 10+ items, it was pretty incredible.

I was glued to his shows as a kid. Fueled a lot of my love of the outdoors.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Sad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I was glued to his shows as a kid. Fueled a lot of my love of the outdoors.
    Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was a great man. Got to hang out with him several times. It was wild to watch him on tv, and then actually meet him. Then to hang out a few time. One of my neighbors an he were friends.

Havent thought about him much, but he will be missed, I wish we could go back to those simple days!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

He made all the mundane things around us seem very interesting. Cool cat

I got extra credit to watch him speak in college and was enlightened by his vast knowledge.

He was outstanding at connecting the dots.

RIP
    Windows Down!

A fine Southern gentleman and unmatched naturalist RIP.

Him at the black chick were oil and water.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I remember Rudy and his TV show from when I was a young boy.

I feel sort of empty now.

If you had the opportunity to meet him and Wade Batson, you couldnt help but love a good walk through the woods. Thankful to have met both.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

He was a regular at the Beltline Lizards Thicket, now Moc2zumas

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lXV3__oE...HsAJvkKdzbVmYm

Not quite the Masters theme but triggers memories nonetheless!

Well crap. Loved watching him growing up. RIP Rudy

I have mentioned it on here before but during a talk at Francis Marion University during the mid 2000's he made a statement that rocked me and everyone that I know who it is repeated to. That state is simply:

"As of today (~2007), there has never been anyone in the recorded medical history in South Carolina, that died from poisonous snake bite ." Rudy Manke

Between him and the Southern Sportsman Show from NC, I tried never to miss either. God's Peace Rudy. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Dang, Frank White. Yep. That was my jam.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton