Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best E-Collar

Default Best E-Collar

I am in need of an E-collar for my 11 mo old black lab. She is a great dog but forgets I exist when she gets distracted. Knows her commands and what she is supposed to do but very hard headed. Strictly a duck dog that also goes to work around logging jobs with me. She will wear it hunting/training primarily but will also use when around logging jobs. What is the best out there for the money these days? I don't want to spend more than $250 for it unless I have to but don't need the top professional unit. Being able to add a second collar to use on my gsp is a plus but not a necessity.
    For the ducks

For strictly an e-collar I’ve been very pleased with sportdog over the years
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I've been happy with Dogtra for a basic e-collar. I had a Sport Dog years ago (15ish years) and it always gave me issues. I don't know if they've gotten better since then or not.

Garmin for anything GPS related.

If I was buying a new e collar, I'd also look for one with GPS capabilities or you'll end up buying one of those down the road too....
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I've been happy with Dogtra for a basic e-collar. I had a Sport Dog years ago (15ish years) and it always gave me issues. I don't know if they've gotten better since then or not.

Garmin for anything GPS related.
    What issues did you have with the sport dog?

This, but I would only recommend that you buy it from this guy instead: https://soggydoggear.com/collections...armin-sportpro

Nothing against gundogsupply, Soggy Dog Gear is a small business and a friend of mine.

The collar is great and easy to use. Short of GPS functions, it does everything you need.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Anything tri tronics/garmin. I have the garmin sport pro e collar. You can run three dogs on the sport pro. I also have a garmin tracking collar. It's worth every penny.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 11-03-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    What issues did you have with the sport dog?
    Battery life (when it was relatively new), delayed response between the remote and collar, and the range didn't seem to match up to what it was advertised as.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Battery life (when it was relatively new), delayed response between the remote and collar, and the range didn't seem to match up to what it was advertised as.
    Huh,

I had to change the batteries in one of mine after a few years but other than that they’ve been perfect for me

Another vote for Garmin/Tri-Tronics. I have the Delta XCs for my boykins and one of them has been working for 9 years now. I think theyve stopped making this model, so the above linked Sport Pro is probably a great option. I actually like that it doesnt have the bright backlit screen like mine does now. This also is more of a no-look type remote, which is another feature of mine that I haven't liked but have just grown to use. The durability and longevity I've gotten out of my system though will keep me buying there stuff.
    Last edited by WatereesWatson; 11-03-2023 at 10:22 AM.

This is the one. I've had mine for close to a year and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Huh,

I had to change the batteries in one of mine after a few years but other than that they’ve been perfect for me
    Same, I had a basic sportdog for many years and only had to replace the battery once.

If I were to re-buy I'd find one with GPS

Dogtra or Garmin. I like Dogtra customer service better.
    PM sent
    Last edited by mjiorle; 11-03-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Garmin, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    I like Dogtra customer service better.
    PM sent
    Compared to what? Have you owned and used every collar?

I've been training retrievers a long time and used a few different brands over the years. I mentioned 2 brands that are generally regarded at the top in quality among retriever trainers, and I like Dogtra customer service better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Contact Carson Lee at Havoc Hunting Supply on Johnsonville...he'll get you straight....

Got a basic Sport dog a couple months ago from Gun Dog Supply for our new Airedale. It does the job but I'd probably get the Garmin if I had to do it again. Battery already seems to not hold a charge very long. I put it on a quick release collar to make my life easier, adjust it once then snap it on and off.